Sign in to follow this  
IV./JG51-D_Wolfrum

At wit's end with my HOTAS Warthog dual throttles.

So as the title implies, I am about to pull my hair out with this thing. 

I recently bought the HOTAS Warthog dual throttles standalone and received It yesterday, I have spent about 9-10 hours since then trying to get my PC to read it. I plug it in, and It says It is getting it ready and then It says "Your HOTAS Warthog is ready to go", and It shows up in the Devices and Printers page and under "MultiMedia Devices", this was after I installed the drivers of course once I was prompted to do so. And even after installing the drivers, It still won't show up under game controllers and therefore It doesn't work in-game or with the TARGET software. 

Things I have already done:
-  Plugged it into all 10 of my different USB ports my PC has
-  Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for each of those 10 different USB ports
- Did the Bootloader way of installing the firmware and all I get is the first picture posted here.
- Disabled the xHCI options within my BIOS settings
- Made sure all my drivers are up to date
- Checked for any faulty wiring or something that may be broken on the throttle itself
- Spent countless hours scouring different forums all across different forums and what not for fixes
- Sent in a ticket to Thrustmaster asking for assistance (Haven't gotten back to yet)

I've also attached a picture showing that It does in-fact get read by my PC, but doesn't show up under Game Controllers. 

Any help would be extremely appreciated cause I don't want to have to return this $200 brick. 

a5a5933022b12c52f1dce7e15815047b.png

c532e13b371280f3610f6a613463576d (1).png

Edited by Dietrich_Wolfrum

Updating the firmware while the throttle is not recognized by your PC was a bad idea.

Try on another, older PC, with Windows 7 and with USB 2.0. Try updating the firmware there.

Edited by Seb71

I mean, how was I supposed to know It was a bad idea when the manual says to do that when/if the throttle is not registering under game controllers? 

So If I update the firmware on another PC It will somehow work on my current PC?

3 minutes ago, Dietrich_Wolfrum said:

So If I update the firmware on another PC It will somehow work on my current PC?

Yes, it should work because you update the firmware of the Warthog Dual Throttle, which is stored locally on

the control board of your device.

Well I will certainly give that a try and then report back here. I really do appreciate the help so far guys. 

Edited: Alright, so I went ahead and plugged it into the another PC with Windows 7 and a USB 2.0 port. It showed up correctly and the PC read it 110%, even showed up under Game controllers and I made sure It was reading the inputs. I went ahead and installed the firmware successfully and It said everything is up to date. 

Now, so I don't do anything stupid due to my lack of technological finesse It seems, what exactly do I do now? Just plug it in to my current PC and re-install the drivers?

Be very careful with that Warthog throttle when it comes to firmware updates and that TARGET software. I had one die on me when the TARGET software crashed while pushing a new profile onto the throttle.

My recommendation: Change as little as possible on the hardware end and use third party, purely software sided, remapping software. At least that won't brick it.

Yeah I haven't even touched the TARGET software.

But I went ahead and plugged back in the throttle into my current PC to see if it would at least read it, however the only thing different this time is it now displays under game controllers and not MultiMedia Devices, but unfortunately, It is still not reading the inputs of it as you can see here in the screenshot. It should be showing up in that box underneath the "VKBsim Gladiator". 

774112ea97e02d8b3ea64487d90f8b9a.png

Do you use some software for those Razer devices?

Can you temporarily disable it and check if the throttle is detected correctly?

Also unplug any non-critical USB device, for testing.

Also: Does the VKBsim Gladiator come with some fancy mapping software? Since you made sure the throttle is technically working fine, it's all on the software side of your main PC there.

Since it's already recognized as a game controller, I have a feeling that something from the VKB blocks it. My suspicion:

The VKB has something running that tries to integrate all controllers into one device and removes everything else. Some very shoddily programmed games out there can't handle gaming devices properly (think Xbox ports for example which often take only the first device in the list and ignore everything else because hey... who would have more than one gamepad attached to their gaming machine and WTF is a throttle quadrant?).

Maybe you can add your throttle there to integrate it into the virtual device or disable that functionality altogether. TARGET and the CH equivalent do something similar though they don't block other devices.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I have no idea at this point. I went ahead and disabled all my Razer software, unplugged certain Razer products, even unplugged the VKB stick. And yes the stick does have a software, but it is not needed to use it, It's a plug and play stick essentially so I haven't even bothered with it. 

I'm getting close to just returning this thing If my PC can't use it, the amount of frustration with this from the last 24 hours has been jaw clenching. Thanks to you all though, we've established It isn't on the Warthog's hardware side of things that are preventing it from working due to it working just fine on an old Windows 7 PC.

So like Mauf said, It's apparently something on my PC's end that is preventing it from working and I just don't have the slightest clue as to what.

Try uninstalling the driver again (if you did not already tried that after you updated the firmware on the older PC).

And check without the driver if it shows up in joy.cpl.

Have you unplugged and plugged it back after uninstalling the driver?

Or better, also restart the PC.

Yep, I unplugged it, uninstalled driver, restarted PC just to make it fresh, plugged it back in, still same outcome. 

I really I hope I am not becoming a nuisance at this point, I just want to play some IL-2 with a nice throttle I dropped $200 on. 

There's really nothing else that I can honestly think of to remedy this hassle.  
586f1b2a9645e737cd14b551735754e4.png.da304e64620467b3cf5d43e71ca1d572.png
Edit: I do know when I open up its Input device functions here, It says "Device not migrated" in this picture here. 

Which driver were you using?

Also, how it shows up in Device Manager?

Link the driver you are using.

Open Device Manager. Expand "Human Interface Devices" and make a screenshot with that entire list (enlarge the Device Manager window, if necessary, so that everything is visible).

1 hour ago, Mauf said:

Also: Does the VKBsim Gladiator come with some fancy mapping software?

No, VKB don't use any "facy mapping software", but and firmware configurator, all user made custom settings is stored in controoler EPROM.

For Windows/games is "PnP" using Windows HID drivers.

Edited by Sokol1

2 minutes ago, Dietrich_Wolfrum said:

is that one that says game controller at the end.

So two entries with the name HID-compliant game controller?

That's how it should be there.

40 minutes ago, Dietrich_Wolfrum said:

586f1b2a9645e737cd14b551735754e4.png.da304e64620467b3cf5d43e71ca1d572.png
Edit: I do know when I open up its Input device functions here, It says "Device not migrated" in this picture here. 

This event shows your problem, this windows should be blank for an working controller (I check my stick and rudder).

Try contact Thrustmaster support with the above info.

Yeah, he knows there is a problem. The question is which is the problem.

Try removing the device itself from Device Manager or from Settings-Devices. Then unplug and plug back the USB cable.

You got a cheap USB hub flying around somewhere? Try putting that in between the USB port of your PC and the Warthog. Also have you tried all the different USB ports you have on your PC (it's important that you tried different controllers, not just 2 ports behind the same controller)?

Edited by Mauf

He said he tried in 10 USB ports. His MB has the Intel USB ports from the Z170 and some ASMedia USB ports.

Looks like Warthogh does not like those.

A powered USB hub would help if the issue is not enough amperage. But I don't think that's the problem.

5 hours ago, Seb71 said:

Yeah, he knows there is a problem. The question is which is the problem.

The problem is "device hid *** was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

Happens with others game controllers too, seems drivers related:

https://www.google.com/search?q=device+hid+was+not+migrated+due+to+partial+or+ambiguous+match&oq=device+Hid+was+not+m&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.6521j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Sokol1

You can't test throttle without TARGET installed, but just drivers for HID?

TARGET are failing in create their  "virtual stick".

Just throwing this in here for anyone in the future. I did get it to work. All I did was removed the device from Game controllers section, then I unplugged every USB device had from my PC, except for my mouse, plugged back in the Throttle, restarted PC, and voila it showed up!

:yahoo:

Don't  you just love when a continual stumbling search for a problems soutions ends with success?l

1 hour ago, Dietrich_Wolfrum said:

Just throwing this in here for anyone in the future. I did get it to work. All I did was removed the device from Game controllers section, then I unplugged every USB device had from my PC, except for my mouse, plugged back in the Throttle, restarted PC, and voila it showed up!

Yesterday you said that did not work.

Maybe it was the Razer Synapse software from that keyboard.