Sign in to follow this  
Remontti

Trackir inaccuracy y-axis

Many times with trackir when you scan the skies the head position in y-axis get messed up. When you look straight forward you notice that your head position is upper or lower than it was before looking around. A quick nod will usually reset the view to correct height.

To my understanding this common problem but no answer has been provided when I last checked naturalpoints forum.

The head transit is quite annoying. I have fixed this by disabling the y-axis all together. I have another trackir profile with y-axis enabled that I can activate momenetarily with joystick button when I want to raise my head. Centering view returns the head position back to gun sight level so this works ok.

How about others? Do you all get this? Is this hardware related (I got my tir5 five years ago and it was used)? I think the profile sensitivitys might affect how bad the problem is.

Watch carefully the sensor green LEDs while you turn your head. If they flicker it means the unit loses tracking.

The solution is moving the TIR to the side of your body where you hold the Pro (LED) Clip or center if using the ballcap reflectors.

You may also have the TIR unit mounted too high or too low.

Lastly update your game specific drivers, look at the exclamation sign over a red background in right upper corner, that means updates

are available.

Notice the curves on the left lower corner of the guy in the video below, I use very similar settings.

Last thing, stay alive and get many good kills!

Edited by Kandiru

Thanks for the guide but I'm very familiar with TrackIR. And to be more specific I'm using the proclip.

The issue is that when I tilt head up or down, the head position also sinks. When I look straight again the head position stays in the sinked position. Slight nodding movement might reset it but not always.  I've tried various camera positions but issue remains. Just wanted to know how common issue this is. 

19 hours ago, Remontti said:

A quick nod will usually reset the view to correct height.

I can observer the same phenomenon, especially when doing some g-loaded manoeuvers. As you wrote, I do the same

and do a quick nod, which helps and solves the problem - so, to me not a significant issue to be honest.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2018 at 12:14 AM, Remontti said:

Thanks for the guide but I'm very familiar with TrackIR. And to be more specific I'm using the proclip.

The issue is that when I tilt head up or down, the head position also sinks. When I look straight again the head position stays in the sinked position. Slight nodding movement might reset it but not always.  I've tried various camera positions but issue remains. Just wanted to know how common issue this is. 

I do not pretend to truly understand the linked relationships between all 6 degrees but can relate to changing an axis that somehow totally screws over another.

It can take hours over days and sometimes weeks to get something that works and that all can be undone when the position of the TrackIR is moved.

IMPORTANT NOTE; The speed is critical to how the profile behaves and even changing it up or down by 0.1 can make or break a functioning profile.

I have attached my TrackIR profile.

Speed is 0.6

Smooth is 45

The TrackIR is

900mm away in my default sitting position

100mm higher than the clip

IL-2 Sturmovik.zip

I have not messed up with the speed setting that much. I thought it was just simple way to alter all curves quickly.

I'm testing a profile with a high sensitivity but also a deadzone. So far it seems good as there is no head sinking and still easy to take a peek past the engine cowl.

I've made a custom mount for trackir camera and it is attached to the VESA mounts back of the monitor. It is basically just a rod with the camera at the end but the camera is further back. 

56 minutes ago, Remontti said:

I've made a custom mount for trackir camera and it is attached to the VESA mounts back of the monitor. It is basically just a rod with the camera at the end but the camera is further back. 

Brilliant idea!

18 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Brilliant idea!

It is just a aluminum rod. The bottom mount doesn't quite show in the pic but I used old bicycle light mount. But one could easily make an U-shaped mount from aluminum and then drill couple of holes. 

Rod.thumb.jpg.041cab25606bc9d58a2a70abf24a5b32.jpg

• Upvote 2

I was using tir 3, 4 and 5 for years...with all of them I had problem with tracking at extreme angles. Whatever tune in sw or in camera position I did, problem was occasionally back. I lost tracking. With edtracker pro Im very satisfied and its less hw demanding. Also ambient light isnt a problem for edtracker unlike tir. My experience is that IR trackers are inferior to magnetometer/gyro solution. Yes, tir has full 6dof but pseudo 6dof (roll for leaning and leaning over or below) is working great via opentrack and edtracker pro. Price is much less. Trackir is heavily overpriced, better to invest into VR then.

Edited by blackram

I agree that Tir5 is expensive and it seems that naturalpoint is not interested in developing it more (broken proclip anyone?). I might look into that edtracker just for the heck of it. Are they still in production?

I have rift and the tracking is suberb. Strangely when I tried some 1:1 curves in tir, it seemed that it needed much more head movement what it did with the rift. But for various reasons I prefer monitor over rift.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Remontti said:

I agree that Tir5 is expensive and it seems that naturalpoint is not interested in developing it more (broken proclip anyone?). I might look into that edtracker just for the heck of it. Are they still in production?

Ed Tracker Pro

Opentrack

Edited by blackram

3 hours ago, blackram said:

I see that everything is out of stock. Complete Pro wireless and Pro wired sets have notification that they will be available March 2018 and June 2018. Well those dates are long gone.

I think there was similar notifications months ago when I last visited that site. Made me wondering if they are still doing business.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Remontti said:

I see that everything is out of stock. Complete Pro wireless and Pro wired sets have notification that they will be available March 2018 and June 2018. Well those dates are long gone.

I think there was similar notifications months ago when I last visited that site. Made me wondering if they are still doing business.

Try to ask here:

sales@edtracker.co.uk

Edited by blackram

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Capt_Teddy_Bear said:

This product is NOT 6 DoF so no up/down, forward/back and left/right

You dont know enough to claim that. This product can use pseudo 6DOF, you can tune the tracker in opentrack software so when you roll your head you lean over or below the bar and lean behind your back (to check 6). Zoom function itself I never used when I was using TiR because its useless. I rather use fast/fixed snap zoom in and out views. I have three stage snap zoom setup. Super wide, midrange and on gunsight ("full zoom").

Edited by blackram

P47 only the trackir its facing rear any ideas . Tried center dont work its strange .

46 minutes ago, II./JG77_Con said:

P47 only the trackir its facing rear any ideas . Tried center dont work its strange .

Most likely you accidentally pressed F10 when facing rear. Check out this thread:

34 minutes ago, Remontti said:

Most likely you accidentally pressed F10 when facing rear. Check out this thread:

sorted now i had too restart from scratch the f10 save until it faced forward it was first time in P47 . Sorted now . thx

On 1/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, blackram said:

You dont know enough to claim that. This product can use pseudo 6DOF, you can tune the tracker in opentrack software so when you roll your head you lean over or below the bar and lean behind your back (to check 6). Zoom function itself I never used when I was using TiR because its useless. I rather use fast/fixed snap zoom in and out views. I have three stage snap zoom setup. Super wide, midrange and on gunsight ("full zoom").

I do know enough to claim It's own web site clearly indicates this.

Just because it can be cobbled together with Opentrack to function as what I read you to describe as some sort of basturised 6DoF does not change the fact that this is not a 6DoF product.

As to tour dislike of TrackIR, fine, what ever, it still does not negate my statement of fact.

I never said its a 6dof product and with that said it doesnt mean TiR is better tracker.

Posted (edited)

I have noticed this occurance too. During or after dogfight the head moves low/high. Very inconvenient when you twist and turn and roll and look around a lot to keep enemy in view, only to finally get him in the gun envelope and  find the reticle completely out of sight.  Almost as though the pilot slouched down during maneuvers and has to "sit up". I have found that adjusting the speed curve lower near the default forward looking position has helped.

Edited by SShrike
Spelling

On 12/31/2018 at 4:45 AM, Remontti said:

It is just a aluminum rod. The bottom mount doesn't quite show in the pic but I used old bicycle light mount. But one could easily make an U-shaped mount from aluminum and then drill couple of holes. 

Rod.thumb.jpg.041cab25606bc9d58a2a70abf24a5b32.jpg

You may be loosing track of the lower led due to the fact your TIR is back from the upper edge of your monitor, have you tried moving the TIR to be inline with your monitor edge?

Your monitor top edge may be blocking your IR beam based on your seating position or body movement.

2 hours ago, Panp said:

You may be loosing track of the lower led due to the fact your TIR is back from the upper edge of your monitor, have you tried moving the TIR to be inline with your monitor edge?

Your monitor top edge may be blocking your IR beam based on your seating position or body movement.

No, this is not the case. I've have my curves set up that I reach cockpit limits before my leds go out of cameras view. 

Since others have confirmed this y-axis drift issue too, I'm pretty sure it just a trackir thing and not a hardware issue.

I checked out some old topics in Natural points forum about this head drift thing. It was mentioned that it only happens if True view is enabled. Just tried it out without True view and the view was spot on where is should when returning to look forward. With True view on the drift was immediately back.

Too bad I can't disable True view as it get really confusing when checking 6 and moving head sideways.

I made a ticket to Naturalpoint. They responded that the issue is on their radar and plan to fix it in future. As a temporary fix they could only suggest disabling either TrueView or Y-axis.

We'll see how it goes.