pegg00

Why do people rarely fly high in multiplayer?

37 minutes ago, Warpig said:

According to a film I seen, Luftwaffe pilots said the Mustang turns better than the 109. So the Mustang should be just as fast as the K4, but will turn better. And the K4 with better acceleration than the Mustang.

You will be in a big dissapointment then, once the Mustang get released. I can already see the threads on the board...

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Warpig said:

I don't want to see one plane ruling the skies in every area.

Me neither, but it will happen. The customer wants it that way. 😑

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Warpig said:

the Mustang should be just as fast as the K4, but will turn better.

The Mustang on the power setting we will get is slower and turns worse than a K4. The Spitfire XIV is also slower than a K4.

GPS.

You get guys flying on treetops to objectives which brings everything lower.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
  • Upvote 1

Better pilots than myself fly higher so I stay lower where I can jump people of my skill level or atleast drag a more skilled pilot lower for an easier kill for a teammate.

5 hours ago, Warpig said:

When I think of what we have planned, I consider this.

According to a film I seen, Luftwaffe pilots said the Mustang turns better than the 109. So the Mustang should be just as fast as the K4, but will turn better. And the K4 with better acceleration than the Mustang. That right there should make them very even. Not to mention that we haven't even seen the Spit IX in its best form yet. It will always be a better dogfighter than the K4 regardless. I only imagine what the boosted version will bring. Then the Tempest, P47, and P38 aren't any slouches either. With this set, every plane offers something different to the battle, without one plane having everything.

A lot of films and reports on the Mustang don't really make much sense without the surrounding context. The Mustang is an excellent fighter (range, speed, pilot comfort, etc.) but turn is a complex issue for this fighter. At high altitudes and high speeds the Mustang should turn well and likely better than the opposing 109. At slow speeds and lower altitudes the roles reverse. There's no way that the 109 with its wing design, power loading, and leading edge slats would be out turned low and slow... Except if that 109 is hauling bomber killing MG151/20 gunpods. A lot of Mustangs fought Bf109s in this configuration thus leading to interesting and sometimes flawed conclusions.

5 hours ago, Warpig said:

I may be wrong, but in my opinion the Spit XIV (especially boosted), would hold all of the most important attributes in one plane in speed, climb, acceleration, and turn. It would remove the potential dynamic and competitive combat that the announced plane set offers. I don't want to see one plane ruling the skies in every area. That's only fun for one side. 

No doubt that the Spitfire XIV is an excellent and indeed awesome fighter but its performance shouldn't rule it out for inclusion. None of the aircraft's performance should. Historical relevance should drive the decision making around aircraft being available and for multiplayer the servers can make decisions on what they want to see. Things are close enough between the XIV, Bf109, FW190, Mustang and others that it still is the pilot that makes the final difference.

• Upvote 2

Good points, in addition I'd like to mention the relevance of the fuel load - a P-51 with near empty tanks is a completely different fighter than one with near full tanks. It can compensate some of the turning disadvantages by a more effective (quicker) use of the flaps. So it can be successful low and slow, but of course it's better of not going there.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warpig said:

I may be wrong, but in my opinion the Spit XIV (especially boosted), would hold all of the most important attributes in one plane in speed, climb, acceleration, and turn. It would remove the potential dynamic and competitive combat that the announced plane set offers. I don't want to see one plane ruling the skies in every area. That's only fun for one side. 

You are probably right, you have to give the black side only players a chance, so perhaps no realistic boosted Spitfire XIV is best.

After all, they complain enough in the scenarios when their planes have most of the advantages. If they were at an equivalent disadvantage they would probably not play at all, and that would be awful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Warpig said:

When I think of what we have planned, I consider this.

According to a film I seen, Luftwaffe pilots said the Mustang turns better than the 109. So the Mustang should be just as fast as the K4, but will turn better. And the K4 with better acceleration than the Mustang. That right there should make them very even. Not to mention that we haven't even seen the Spit IX in its best form yet. It will always be a better dogfighter than the K4 regardless. I only imagine what the boosted version will bring. Then the Tempest, P47, and P38 aren't any slouches either. With this set, every plane offers something different to the battle, without one plane having everything.

The Mustang doesn't turn as well as the Bf-109, esp. not if you consider physical numbers of both aircraft. It does possess lighter controls than the 109 at high speeds though, so it could give the impression of turning faster. Same thing was mentioned by many LW pilots, that the P-51 turned fast initially, but if you kept turning you would rather quickly end up on its tail. At low to medium speeds it was no contest according to pilots that have flown both, the 109 loves turning at those speeds, some even saying it's close to (not as good as!) a Spitfire here. The Mustang's big advantage over the 109 was high altitude performance, and against the gondola armed G6's coming in to attack the bombers at 20+ kft the Mustang had the odds stacked well in its favour.

Against a K4 though the Mustang really isn't the answer, the K4 being noticably better in terms of turn rate, radius, climb rate and acceleration. Only in terms of speed will the Mustang be competitive, and perhaps even slightly faster at some altitudes if we get the 70-75" Hg boost as a mod. 

So when we consider the wildly unrealistic circumstances that we will mostly be fighting under ingame, i.e. no numerical superiority for the Allies, no bombers to keep the fights up high, no shortage of experienced pilots for the Axis etc, I don't think the Mustang is going to change much. The Spitfire XIV would help balance things out more, being superior to the 109K4 in most respects and competitive in the rest. And with the Axis team getting the Me262 I really don't see the Spitfire XIV ending up dominating MP. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

We have highly unrealistic scenario in this game. Not only we will mow the treetops but german pilots are mostly aces, unlike 1944/45 german pilots, who had problems to keep the 109 straight.

In less realistic servers people fly low because they want to find the action ASAP.

In more realistic servers people fly high because they want to win and stay alive.

• Upvote 1