Staz007

Thrustmaster Warthog joystick and pedals not working

Hello fairly new to il-2, 

Just got the Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS and flight pedals but i have a couple problems. When running the Target software IL-2 doesn't pick up any axis on the joystick, throttle or flight pedals but it does pick up the buttons which I have set in the Target software. I tried running IL-2 without Target which works ok but I can't set up detailed configurations and the hat switches and pedals Don't work or even get picked up by IL-2. I tried reinstalling IL-2 and Target and the drivers, using different USB ports and making a new configuration. And advice in advice is appreciated 

I have the Thrustmaster hotas warthog and the Thrustmaster TPS pedals.

On the Thrustmaster Homepage there is a custom config file which you can download for IL-2. I downloaded that and then I open that file in the TARGET Software and then it works.

Did you try that IL-2 config file?

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/hotaswarthog-en/

open HERE "GAME SETTINGS"

and then TARGET PROFILE IL-2 Stalingrad

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Upvote 1

Target is complicated for trying to create your own layouts and imo the only real use I've found for it was in older sims that didn't recognize multiple input devices, as it combines TM products into one input device. 

Imo - download the driver packages from TM support site linked by spitfirejoe and make sure stick and throttle firmware is up to date, also search for your pedals on that site and make sure there aren't any driver or firmware updates for them.

recommended to be plugged into usb 2.0 ports directly on the computer rather than a usb hub when updating firmware at the very least. 

WH stick and throttle should have plenty of switches for your needs without TARGET imo.   I recommend something easy like xpadder if you want to make the slew nub into keybinds, or turn directx buttons into keyboard strokes.   You may have a couple buttons that do different things in different aircraft but I'm confident you can manage. 

My two cents, the profiles in target i used for older sims were created by someone else and seem to involve a bit of target scripting that is above and beyond my knowledge. 

Also if using a usb hub, ensure it's a powered usb hub with it's own power source. 

When things are working correctly il-2 great battles  should recognize all of your input devices without the need for target or other controller programming software.   Are you running standalone or steam version?  As steam has some controller settings of it's own, which you can disable to rule out conflicts due to that. 

If after installing TM drivers buttons still aren't working without target, i'd check usb and mainboard drivers to be on the safe side, failing that and pressing more buttons in the in game menus trying to find a cause I'd see about returning it for a replacement to rule out a dud.   

from your il-2 install directory /data/input/devices.txt should list all of your connected directx/xinput devices that were connected when you launched the game.

Mine -  just from launching the game with devices connected.     "Thrustmaster Combined" would be the titled of the virtual device with target running, where without it would list each device separately, and the number at the start of each line is a device identifier.  I.e. when you map buttons in-game if 1 is your stick, it'll show "joy1 button 1" for assigning trigger stage one.   Same example using my devices.txt it would be "joy4 button 1"

devices.thumb.JPG.002e21f0feba38fe190ac2a3a1db0164.JPG

Please don't be insulted by this suggestion, but you are going into the keymapping options in game and actually attempting to assign your switches to various functions right?  You know, double clicking the command and being prompted for a button press or axis motion?    My guess would be that you have, I'm just trying to cover everything I could think of for "hat switches not working" 

Also verify in windows that the controllers are connected via typing "Usb game controllers" into cortana and pressing enter. 

My stick's not plugged in at the moment but - YOu can click properties for any device and check button functionality to help you determine whether it's windows or something specific to il-2, or something you've done with target.   Without target, your throttle, your joystick, and your pedals should all be listed as separate devices. 

gamecontrollers.JPG.5415960e946f424a13dc90c07dc17d51.JPG

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican
  • Upvote 2

TARGET virtual device follow Windows/Games limit of 8 axes.

Warthog Stick + Throttle + Pedals = 2 + 5 + 3 = 10 axes

Two axes need be excluded form TARGET profile, e.g the almost useless "Slew" mini-stick.

Then, no advantage in mix TPR pedal in TARGET profile, leave out and assign their axes direct in game controls.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou for the advice! I'll try updating the drivers. I am also thinking I may of assigned the hat switches to to different functions so I'm gonna check that when I get home. As for the pedals I installed the drivers yesterday so I'm not sure what I could be as windows can see me moving the pedals

14 hours ago, Staz007 said:

Thankyou for the advice! I'll try updating the drivers. I am also thinking I may of assigned the hat switches to to different functions so I'm gonna check that when I get home. As for the pedals I installed the drivers yesterday so I'm not sure what I could be as windows can see me moving the pedals

If windows sees the pedals, stick and throttle, and the inputs lightup and move in the windows properties, , Il-2 should see them.  You should just have to assign them manually in the in-game keymapping menus.  

The only other reasons I could think of that not being true would either be drivers, or steam controller settings being applied if using the steam version.  Which, if using the steam version can be disabled in steam. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2018 at 9:46 PM, =IL2AU=ToknMurican said:

If windows sees the pedals, stick and throttle, and the inputs lightup and move in the windows properties, , Il-2 should see them.  You should just have to assign them manually in the in-game keymapping menus.  

The only other reasons I could think of that not being true would either be drivers, or steam controller settings being applied if using the steam version.  Which, if using the steam version can be disabled in steam. 

How would i disable it in steam?

21 hours ago, Staz007 said:

How would i disable it in steam?

If I'm not mistaken you can do it per game in steam by right clicking it in your library, clicking "Properties"

On the general tab at the bottom 

Steam Input Per-Game Setting (Requires restart of game)   -  there will be a drop down box beneath this, set it to "Force Off" 

This is a new thing on the properties tab so if that doesn't work for some reason, you can click "Steam" at the top left of steam, should drop down a menu, click "settings", and in the list on the left go to "Controller"   In the general controller settings unchecking everything there should disable steam having anything to do with controllers for all games.    "Generic controller support" is likely the culprit if this is the case. 

I can say that I have steam controller support disabled at the moment and haven't had issues since I switched to the steam client for il-2.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2018 at 12:26 PM, Staz007 said:

The latest firmware will have everything you need for the new pedals and the upcoming F/A-18, F-16 joysticks.  So I would download and install the latest versions.  And I would go to Youtube and search for TM firmware, drivers, install and any information you can find on the pedals. 

If you use TARGET software it combines all your devices into a combined configuration and will work better.  Make sure you start TARGET and your iL2 profile before you start the game, or the game will see your pieces as separate devices and that can cause problems as well.

Cheers

Hoss

• Upvote 1