Sign in to follow this  
6./ZG26_5tuka

FHC Ju 87 R4 Werknr. 6234 Restoration Project

For those interested here's some of the progress of the Flying Heritage Collection in restoring an original Ju 87 R4 back to flying condition. It's maiden flight is scheduled for 2020.

Update April 10. 55 min talk about the restoration of Ju 87-R4 Werknr. 6234

Restoration of Junkers JU 87 R4

From the Flying Heritage Collection Web site:

" This Stuka, an R-4 version modified to fly long distances, was built in 1941 and was destined for North Africa before being diverted to the fighting in Russia.  Serving with Lehrgeschwader (demonstration wing) 1 and then Sturzkampfgeschwader (dive bomber wing) 5, the plane operated in northwest Russia, near the border with Finland and Norway.

The aircraft was on a mission to bomb Murmansk in April of 1942 when it was attacked by Soviet fighters and crashed to the west of the city.  The wreckage remained in the wilderness until the early 1990s, when it was acquired by a private collector and shipped to England.  The rare plane was eventually obtained by the Deutsches Technikmuseum (German Museum of Technology) in Berlin in 1997. 

The Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum began a restoration to flying condition on this rare and important aircraft in 2013.  This is one of only three surviving Stukas left in the world. "

Restoration progress updates

20.11.18 - Matching the colour of the anodizing

30.11.18 - Interview VS 11 propellor restoration

05.12.18 - Painting the airframe

21.12.18 - Walkaround of the exhibition after painting (many thx to Fight to Fly Photography)

Update April 2019

August Update - Progress on the Jumo 211J Engine

August 16 - Arrival of the Jumo 211 J

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Good. The world needs a functioning Stuka. Actually I need a functioning Stuka. It's christmas. 

• Upvote 2

The only thing cooler than announcing the airplane-type as "Stuka" on the radio will be diving into the pattern, using the sirens...

• Like 1

If I ever get the opportunity to ever see this thing in person, I will fangirl so hard. 😄

I've always loved the Stuka. Ever since I was little.

Posted (edited)

How about that. I didn't know this was in progress. I was able to see the one they have in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry - I knew that is one of the few that exist (maybe the only one in that condition right now? ). For a plane that is so much a symbol of the war, it is striking how few remain.

Edited by engrish_major

On 4/30/2019 at 1:27 PM, engrish_major said:

I was able to see the one they have in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry - I knew that is one of the few that exist (maybe the only one in that condition right now? ). For a plane that is so much a symbol of the war, it is striking how few remain.

I've seen the one in Chicago as well. There's also a G-series plane in the UK.

Same story with the Bf 110, He 111 and Ju 88. There's a shocking few of them surviving to this day not to mention in flying condition. Makes the possebility of eventually seeing a working Ju 87 R-4 at FHC on Luftwaffe day feel even more exiting.

Posted (edited)

Added FHC's August Aircraft Update to the initial post.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Thanks 1