jcomm

Was the U2Vs also used during ww2 ?

That's it, I would like to find out ...

Probably as a training / school aircraft, but in combat, was it used too ?

• Confused 1

I know the short comings of wikipedia but Google the po-2 or u-2vs and check it out.  It was used for many roles : training, ground attack, recon, liaison, pysops, ect.

They were cheap, available, and adaptable and therefore used for pretty much everything except as a fighter, but even then it is credited with a jet kill in Korea.  

• Like 1

In total the regiment collectively accumulated 28,676 flight hours, dropped over 3,000 tons of bombs and over 26,000 incendiary shells, damaging or completely destroying 17 river crossings, nine railways, two railway stations, 26 warehouses, 12 fuel depots, 176 armored cars, 86 firing points, and 11 searchlights. In addition to bombings the unit performed 155 supply drops of food and ammunition to Soviet forces

theses numbers speaks for themselves

• Like 1

Wow!  Really a working horse after all - was completely unaware of it before, I must confess...

How do you find it modeled in IL-2 ?  Believe it's 3rd party ? Or are the Flight Dynamics by 1C / 777 ?

48 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Wow!  Really a working horse after all - was completely unaware of it before, I must confess...

How do you find it modeled in IL-2 ?  Believe it's 3rd party ? Or are the Flight Dynamics by 1C / 777 ?

Yeah from the 1920s through to the 50s and beyond the Po-2/U-2 saw a ton of service doing just about everything. Here are my first impressions on the aircraft: https://stormbirds.blog/2018/12/19/first-impressions-on-the-il-2-series-u-2vs/

The flight dynamics are by 1CGS (I'm assuming Petrovich) and so it flies as you'd expect anything else in the series to fly. Certainly at the same level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many exactly saw service in WW2 is hard to determine, but it very likely was the 2nd or 3rd most common aircraft in the VVS, behind the Yakovlev fighters and Petlyakov bombers. 

[EDIT: Obviously that should be the 3rd or 4th most common. Somehow managed to forget about the IL-2.]

As I have said previously: You can’t really imagine air war on the Eastern Front without it. It was everywhere. 

Edited by Finkeren
  • Like 1

I think you might have missed the Il-2 as a common aircraft in the VVS. Not that easy to miss. :)

• Haha 2

The Po-2 is also the only Biplane ever to claim a Confirmed Kill on a Jet Fighter, an F-94 to be exact.'

And during their Service, they are actually the Aircraft delivering the most Ordonance of any Type in the Soviet Airforce.

• Like 1

One guy is learning along all of it's life!

Thank you guys, that certainly made it an even bigger temptation to give it a try :-)

2 hours ago, JtD said:

I think you might have missed the Il-2 as a common aircraft in the VVS. Not that easy to miss. :)

Doh! Obviously 😂

7 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Doh! Obviously 😂

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that a bit less than half of IL-2: BoX or even 1946 players never even set their virtual feet into an IL-2.

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, jcomm said:

I'm willing to be corrected but I'm under the impression the modelling is all third party but the flight model is An Petrovich.  Whatever it is, is it a great plane.:salute:

Just bought it :-)  Couldn't resist any longer :-)))))

9 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

The Po-2 is also the only Biplane ever to claim a Confirmed Kill on a Jet Fighter, an F-94 to be exact.'

And during their Service, they are actually the Aircraft delivering the most Ordonance of any Type in the Soviet Airforce.

Well the F-94 tried to slow down enough to get more time for guns on the the Po-2, but overdid it then stalled and crashed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Just bought it 🙂 Couldn't resist any longer :-)))))

Remember,  select rear mg option and you'll be able to fly it from the rear seat:biggrin:  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheKillerSloth said:

Well the F-94 tried to slow down enough to get more time for guns on the the Po-2, but overdid it then stalled and crashed.

And that could be attributed as a maneuver kill. Even if all the Po-2 pilot did was fly straight.

Anna Yegorova (one of the female il-2 pilots) talks about flying in the U2 in her book.

She flew it mostly as liaison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also: The number of combat missions some of the U-2 pilots flew are just staggering - not least with the 588th. The founder of the regiment flew well over 1000 sorties and more than a dozen of her squad mates ranked up more than 500.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

Also: The number of combat missions some of the U-2 pilots flew are just staggering - not least with the 588th. The founder of the regiment flew well over 1000 sorties and more than a dozen of her squad mates ranked up more than 500.

Yeah. According to wiki Nadya Popova once flew 18 sorties in a single night. Even if it's half that it's impressive