BlackSix

Scripted Campaign "Havoc over the Kuban" - Discussion

Posted (edited)

Just had another crash, just like last time and in about the same place. The flight leader and the rest of the flight disapeared and about few minutes later the game CTD, seconds before it crashed I got the message, the convoy was at 12 O clock and to follow the flight leader.

Also after last weeks crash, I verified the game files with steam and it found 1 file that needed replacing. Checked the files again after the crash tonight and they are all OK this time.

Here's tonights dump file.

Il-2_exe.13260.zip

Edited by w00dy

G'day Gambit. FYI...On mission 5, Dawn Patrol - I too had the system crash - ran the mission twice and identical to w00dy - each time, same place, just as Eagle leader announced convoy at 12 O clock. Will just move on to mission 6. Didn't attach a zip file as it would just be a repeat of w00dy's. 

Beautiful scenery/graphics going over the mountains.

Love your work.

Same here, I experienced a ctd in mission 5 yesterday, same event (flight leader announcement). 

It was the first time I played it and did not try to re-run. Will continue to mission 6.

Well I tried Mission 5 again tonight after the update and it worked fine for me, so third time lucky for me :dance:

I have to say Gambit, I think it's the best bomber mission I have ever played to date, I even taxied the plane after landing and parked it and I have never felt the need to do that before.

So now I can move on to mission 6.

18 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Well I tried Mission 5 again tonight after the update and it worked fine for me, so third time lucky for me :dance:

I have to say Gambit, I think it's the best bomber mission I have ever played to date, I even taxied the plane after landing and parked it and I have never felt the need to do that before.

So now I can move on to mission 6.

Pretty sure Han nailed the fix yesterday, but didn't want to say anything until some results came in.

Good job Han and the boys.

Probably still an errant vehicle causing landing clearance problems here and there, I'll nail those as I find them or reports come in.

In any case, glad you're having fun...makes all the time worth it. :)

6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I have purchased this wonderful campaign  when it first came out...how do I update it? Thanks!

Should update automatically

Re-ran mission 5 after the update and it went smoothly.

Thanks a lot Gambit for this excellent campaign. The attention to detail is top notch and I can understand easily how many hours it took to make all actors to work together! Overall immersion is great, and flying as a wingman of a capable leader is a real plus!

Looking forward to discovering the remaining 10 missions.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello guys, tried mission 5 again tonight and completed it, all is well, no CTD on this occasion. ;)

Thank you very much for the fix, really appreciated. :drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

This is really a cool campaign and I don't want to be a complainer.  I am sure writing something so complex and getting it perfect must be difficult.  A couple weeks ago I had a CTD 3 times like others have reported at the point where the enemy supply column was spotted.  After recently hearing others were able to get past that point, I ran it again and also got past that point.  After attacking on several passes and depleting my bombs I was about to leave and it CTD.  I'm sorry that I don't have a lot of spare time and haven't read how to create an error report, but I thought you would want to know that there is still a problem  This is the only time I have ever had a CTD with BOX.

On the plus side, I totally respect the work you guys have done and support all of your projects.  VR flying in a WWII plane is fantastic and it's really cool to see other people who love the aircraft like I do.  Thanks to all of you for the great work!

On 3/12/2019 at 3:24 AM, Schmehl said:

This is really a cool campaign and I don't want to be a complainer.  I am sure writing something so complex and getting it perfect must be difficult.  A couple weeks ago I had a CTD 3 times like others have reported at the point where the enemy supply column was spotted.  After recently hearing others were able to get past that point, I ran it again and also got past that point.  After attacking on several passes and depleting my bombs I was about to leave and it CTD.  I'm sorry that I don't have a lot of spare time and haven't read how to create an error report, but I thought you would want to know that there is still a problem  This is the only time I have ever had a CTD with BOX.

On the plus side, I totally respect the work you guys have done and support all of your projects.  VR flying in a WWII plane is fantastic and it's really cool to see other people who love the aircraft like I do.  Thanks to all of you for the great work!

Run the "enable error reporting" script in your BoX/data folder

Then after a crash run the "ViewCrashDumps.cmd"

You will then get a file that you can zip up and PM me.

These help the Devs hugely in tracking down what is causing the crash.

Posted (edited)

Well I'm enjoying this campaign so much and especially with the taxiing at the start of the missions, I have gone  and ordered some rudder pedals. Before starting this campaign taxiing never  interested me in this game, now I feel the need to do it, even after landing I feel the need to taxi and park the plane :)

Edited by w00dy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Well I'm enjoying this campaign so much and especially with the taxiing at the start of the missions, I have gone  and ordered some rudder pedals. Before starting this campaign taxiing never  interested me in this game, now I feel the need to do it, even after landing I feel the need to taxi and park the plane :)

:good:

Now I am definitely going to have to grab this campaign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, w00dy said:

I'm glad to hear you say this...this is what I'm after.

Basically the act of flying being just as important as any combat that might occur - a lot of time went into this aspect, and that's my audience for this piece of work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there a way of deleting one of the missions?🤔

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Is there a way of deleting one of the missions?🤔

?

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

?

I keep getting CTD in mission #8.I figured if I can just eliminate it in its folder ...but i can't find the folder in "Campaigns".

55 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I keep getting CTD in mission #8.I figured if I can just eliminate it in its folder ...but i can't find the folder in "Campaigns".

Ahh...OK.

Mission 8...where at exactly? Just before or at target area?

You can't access the files as they are encrypted.

Well here we are again, mission 9 this time, hope it is the right file:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b5a5ojtdjj17hc5/Dump_file_2_for_Gambit.7z/file

I rarely get to fly these days due to health issues, Saturday is usually the night for me, one mission of a P-47 campaign failed to save, then this as I am about to land following what appeared to be a successful mission.:(

I give up, I am returning to the old faithful Il-2 1946.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Finished last mission, and for sure i'll refly it again.....really nice experience....best one i had in il2!

Beside one or two crashes on mission 5 or 6 i think which never reappeared again i have some minor feedback.

-On last mission (or last two) VR users can experience a bit slowdowns/stutters due to amount of AI dogfighting (amazing air battle), but since they don't engage or affect player/bombers it could be reduced in numbers to improve VR performance.

-this one doesn't affect player experience or affect gameplay rather product estetic.....on mission 15 while taxing to the runway Eagle leader and Gunnet4 are trying to make baby A-20's (i had to throw in joke ;) ), they are colliding a lot but since they are undestructable a bit later they separate.

Gambit....BRAVO.....looking forward to your next campaign!

Ribbon - thank you for the comments - much appreciated!

I didn't have a VR tester so I appreciate comments.

The slowdown that you're talking about in the last two missions is a bit more complex than the number of aircraft.

I tested these two missions extensively and noticed frame drops when looking toward the vehicle convoys, even though they're in the distance and not being

rendered beyond a dot. Turn the camera away and toward the fur-ball, and frames picked up again.

Doesn't make sense but that's undoubtedly what I found in testing.

Maybe VR result is a bit different, but I can't verify on my own.

I'll look at that inappropriate intimate A-20 behavior in mission 15 - :o:

Might be a logic change that I have to account for.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 4:35 PM, Gambit21 said:

Run the "enable error reporting" script in your BoX/data folder

Then after a crash run the "ViewCrashDumps.cmd"

You will then get a file that you can zip up and PM me.

These help the Devs hugely in tracking down what is causing the crash.

I enabled error reporting and made it through mission # 5 without a problem.  Mission #5 was a really cool one too.  It must be a lot of work, but starting up and forming up on the runway adds a lot to the overall feel to a mission.  Great job, thanks for all your effort.

Many thanks for all your work...we owe you a debt of thanks for this Havoc campaign!

Have run into a problem with "Havoc Over the Kuban". Ran Missions 1 through 4 without a problem. With Mission 5, started A-20 with the usual procedures, release parking brake and the    A-20 move slightly then stopped and would move no further. Ran engines to full power but A-20 would not move. Reapplied parking brake and released parking brake but A-20 would still not move. Aborted mission and restarted. A-20 started normally. Released parking brake and again A-20 would not move. Ran the engines to full power and still would not move. I can see the nose of the A-20 dip slightly under full power but the A-20 does not move. 

Tried restarting the campaign from the beginning. Mission 1 ran OK. Completed mission and returned to base. Started Mission 2. Same problem again. A-20 started with usual start procedure. Released parking brake but A-20 will not move even under full engine power.

I tested and do not have this problem with the A-20 in Quick Mission or the Single Mission.

The Campaign is great. I at a loss of what to do to resolve. Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, OCA_LoneStar said:

Have run into a problem with "Havoc Over the Kuban". Ran Missions 1 through 4 without a problem. With Mission 5, started A-20 with the usual procedures, release parking brake and the    A-20 move slightly then stopped and would move no further. Ran engines to full power but A-20 would not move. Reapplied parking brake and released parking brake but A-20 would still not move. Aborted mission and restarted. A-20 started normally. Released parking brake and again A-20 would not move. Ran the engines to full power and still would not move. I can see the nose of the A-20 dip slightly under full power but the A-20 does not move. 

Tried restarting the campaign from the beginning. Mission 1 ran OK. Completed mission and returned to base. Started Mission 2. Same problem again. A-20 started with usual start procedure. Released parking brake but A-20 will not move even under full engine power.

I tested and do not have this problem with the A-20 in Quick Mission or the Single Mission.

The Campaign is great. I at a loss of what to do to resolve. Any ideas?

Just to be sure it is the mission, try single player where you start parked and see if it happens. 

The key command "Release Parking Brake" does nothing. I had to watch Requiem's A20 tutorial video for the answer.

You need to depress both toe brakes fully to release the parking brake.

40 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

The key command "Release Parking Brake" does nothing. I had to watch Requiem's A20 tutorial video for the answer.

You need to depress both toe brakes fully to release the parking brake.

Thanks Gordon! That was the problem. I should have known better. A-20 has independent  wheel brakes require each wheel brake to be released. I must have missed that in Requiem's tutorial. I watch all his tutorials regardless of whether I need it or not. On the previous missions that worked, I must have not realized I had tapped both brakes at the same time. The sim should really have 2 parking brake icons. I'll submit that as a suggestion.

53 minutes ago, Schmehl said:

Just to be sure it is the mission, try single player where you start parked and see if it happens. 

Thanks Schmehl. I did try in single playing. There's an A-20 mission in the Mission menu. Appreciate your consideration. Gordon's response took care of the problem.

Now back to bombing the Kuban Axis!

• Like 1

Yuk! Mission 2...no problem. Mission 3...the problem is back. Pressing both toe brakes does not work at Mission 3. Pressing the toe brakes turns TechoChat Parking Brakes icon off and displays the Techmessage that the parking brake is released. The aircraft will not move. I've tried with the "Brakes" keyboard command, left brake and right brake together as well as separate. Each time I get the parking brake release message and the parking brake icon off. Also tried with the "Wheel parking brakes on/off" command with no success.  I do not have this problem in Quick mission or Single Player mission. Pressing either the left or right brake releases the parking brake in Quick mission and Single Player mission allowing the aircraft to taxi.

Mission logic is not in any way connected to operation of the aircraft.

Work this out in another thread if you would be so kind.

Purchased! Do I need to learn how to use the bomb sight for this campaign, or will it all be low-level bombing?

I've only ever flown fighters, and have been practicing the tutorials I've seen on Youtube that show to release at 300 ft once the target passes under the nose, so that's about all I know how to do when it comes to bombing.

All low-level, fly bombs down the enemy's throat and strafing.

• Thanks 1

Just finished mission 4, where

we enter the furball, then the flight leader diverts inland. I had no idea what he was doing until it dawned on me that he was escaping the fray through the canyons, then back out to sea after a while.

Awesome experience! Can't wait to continue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GiftZahnsSteigern said:

"Alex, stop chasing those transports and return to the target area. NOW."

Too good, Gambit. Pure gold, thank you.

Nice! 

I put that trigger in there in anticipation of players going after the transports but never had anyone test it and nobody has commented on it yet.

Now I know that it works as intended - cool beans. :)

• Like 2

A most immersive campaign and obviously a product of many hours of work.

I'm experiencing a problem with the final mission. Eagle leader, Alex (Eagle 2) and Eagle 3 take off and proceed on the mission but three aircraft remain behind. The flight flies up into the mountains then circle back to the airfield repeatedly because the three remaining planes of the flight are still on the runway.

After circling back to the base for the sixth time I decided to fly low and see what the problem was. Eagle 4 had been rammed from the rear by Eagle 6 also blocking Eagle 5. I've flown this mission three times now and the same thing happens each time.

I love ground pounding and look forward to what you may have in store (pun) for the P38 Lightening.   

Great - thank you.

I need to check taxi behavior in the last two missions.