BlackSix

Scripted Campaign "Havoc over the Kuban" - Discussion

On 12/20/2018 at 3:53 PM, Gambit21 said:

You guys are great - thank you.

Yes. Yes we are. 😎

I'm not much of a campaign flyer but this looks good, and even though you're a pain, you're also a great guy and I want to show my support. Gonna grab your campaign this morning.

All the best to you.

First two missions successfully completed before an enforced break for Christmas, what a really great campaign, excellent work. Looking forward to more flying time in the Havoc this afternoon.

Thanks guys, Cheers!

Branston

• Like 1

Great campaign gambit

Love the start and taxi adds so much to the atmosphere

The only thing i think that could be improved upon in my opinion is the flight leaders communication skills (mainly giving headings / attitude )

On mission  5 Dawn Patrol, You are with a large formation of aircraft when your flight  changes course splitting the formation into two flights

this is where a heading announcement would help 

Looking forward to your next campaign

Edited by Zippy-do-dar

Three missions in and I'm loving it. Flew the first mission with full RPM and barely made it home. Had to read up on the A-20 after that...

Glad you guys are enjoying the campaign.

I very much appreciate the feedback. :)

Zippy - just stay with your leader - go where he goes - he’s your cue for direction etc. In that instance it’s the other flight peeling off. The flight path is very “seat of the pants” with a lot of heading changes and the whole point really is sticking close to Eagle Lead.

Glad you’re having a good time. :)

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 4

On 12/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, Zippy-do-dar said:

The only thing i think that could be improved upon in my opinion is the flight leaders communication skills (mainly giving headings / attitude )

Actually if you're into adding more realism to your sim flying, less comm is better.  Min comm or full radio silence was often the rule especially over enemy territory.  True then and still true today.  Other intraflight visual signals were and are used instead, but staying situationally aware and keeping your eyes & brain moving will substitute for most nav-related radio calls.  We just have to be 'big boy' wingmen & make sure we stick with lead & maintain proper tactical formation as Gambit suggests.

I'm 4 missions in so far, and your campaign is outstanding so far, Gambit.  Thanks so much for all the painstaking effort.  Some great touches so far, down to small details like the way the flotilla of boats was moving.  This shows just what can be done when someone is truly dedicated to excellence, and has some fine helpers to boot!  Well done sir.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Finished mission 2, a lot of fun so far :)

1) Mission 1: From the briefing I was expecting to be in position 7, but I see that I'm 2nd position to take off.

2) Grammatical errors in the briefing of mission 2: 

but we want to deny it's use as a port

=> its (there's no place for a verb there, that's a determiner)

and then due west in hopes if intercepting

=> in the hope of intercepting

watch and listen for my signals

=> watch [out] for and listen to my signals (but really, I'd just say "watch out for my signals")

3) Mission 2 again (and I suppose, the next ones) It would be preferable to indicate the take-off position relative to the leader, since IL-2 is very fussy about that. Here apparently, after waiting a bit behind number 1, I tried to its left and then it was OK.

I'm pretty sure I sank a boat but got no score. I need more practice ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just finished Mission 3 and it was great. Everything about it was just right. A good and good looking mission. :cool:

I purchased "Havoc over the Kuban" and have been really enjoying the A20 missions, but i can only get as far as mission #5 [Dawn patrol] flown it twice and the mission crashes back to my desktop exactly at the same spot every time, fly for an hour and as soon as i reach the combat area and a couple of 109's turn up CRASH !!!!!!!  It's a shame really because i have never flown bomber missions before and this one is proving exceptional 

Can i delete this mission and carry on ?      Cheers

• Upvote 2

You should just be able to move on to mission 6 now. However we need to track down your crash issue.

Can you please run “enable crash dump” script in your data file? (Double click on it) Then fly the mission, and after it crashes go to the data folder again and run the “view crash dumps” script.

Then PM me that file please if you would be so kind.

You can fly on autopilot and time acceleration.

I shall try and get that for you Gambit, i have never done that before so it could be a little while.   Cheers

I can find in my data the file" view crash dumps" but cant find crash dump script, is this before or after the mission reports section ?

1 hour ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I shall try and get that for you Gambit, i have never done that before so it could be a little while.   Cheers

I can find in my data the file" view crash dumps" but cant find crash dump script, is this before or after the mission reports section ?

I think it's this file, you have do double-click and confirm (it will set a flag in your registry so the OS will ask confirmation):

IL-2\data\EnableErrorReporting.reg

Then run the mission again, good luck!

I also have crashes with long missions in IL2, though I only had that in career mode so far, but I'm not at mission 5 yet.

Mission 3 complete, and this time one cargo went down (would have been earlier if I hadn't forgotten to open the bay. Damn!). There are a lot of things going on, it's really fun and alive!

I checked the log, 3 planes were lost just because of the relief. I witnessed one perfectly healthy Havoc hitting the hills west of the airfield, when I was taxiing back after landing... so much for respecting pattern altitude, they should rather enforce a right-hand pattern to avoid that (I suppose it's hard-coded). Two other fighters crashed earlier into the hills on the way back too, not far from the base. I don't know if they were trying to destroy the AA or just not paying attention.

Despite what was said recently in the fix logs, there's still an awful lot of AI crashing into the ground and into buildings, even if there's no relief.

Just a note but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done: in mission 3: there are a few vehicles messing around at the end of the runway, they steered in front of me and cut the way when I was taxiing after landing (the short bit of "taxiway" at the end of the runway). I could brake in time but it was close, after that they went on, driving on the runway then back into the fields. :biggrin:

22 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I purchased "Havoc over the Kuban" and have been really enjoying the A20 missions, but i can only get as far as mission #5 [Dawn patrol] flown it twice and the mission crashes back to my desktop exactly at the same spot every time, fly for an hour and as soon as i reach the combat area and a couple of 109's turn up CRASH !!!!!!!  It's a shame really because i have never flown bomber missions before and this one is proving exceptional 

Can i delete this mission and carry on ?      Cheers

Same thing happens to me, 4th time in a row.

I'll try to send crash report too!

• Upvote 1

This crash is new since the last game build - not mission logic related but something else I believe.

It was tested many times with no crashes.

Please post crash dump files if you can and I'll run a test on it myself and see if I crash now as well.

Ok here is the report on mission No.5 "Dawn Patrol" crash!

This time i enebled that crash report.reg, started mission and finished it without crash, lol!

Here is what i did different this time and what i suspect issue is;

-I fly in VR with OC i7 6700k at 4.5Ghz and gtx1070 so maybe amount of AI at one place plus all those explosions and smoke made hit on my cpu (single core hit so only game crashed)and cause crash (it did cause some stutters being in that scramble) ormaybe hit was on my gpu.

I should run msi afterburner and watch usage and load on cpu/gpu.

-what i did different this time is i went ahead of my leader and rest of the flight and by the time they arrived i destroyed decent number of vehicles, also enemy flight of ju87 was further away making lower number of AI at same place.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

21 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Ok here is the report on mission No.5 "Dawn Patrol" crash!

This time i enebled that crash report.reg, started mission and finished it without crash, lol!

Here is what i did different this time and what i suspect issue is;

-I fly in VR with OC i7 6700k at 4.5Ghz and gtx1070 so maybe amount of AI at one place plus all those explosions and smoke made hit on my cpu (single core hit so only game crashed)and cause crash (it did cause some stutters being in that scramble) ormaybe hit was on my gpu.

I should run msi afterburner and watch usage and load on cpu/gpu.

-what i did different this time is i went ahead of my leader and rest of the flight and by the time they arrived i destroyed decent number of vehicles, also enemy flight of ju87 was further away making lower number of AI at same place.

It's worked for me also, did as you suggested, flew on ahead of the pack, flew around the edges of the combat zone then attacked the main enemy convoy, and now mission #6 has been enabled.   Thanks Ribbon, if it happens again i will now what to do.                         Cheers

• Like 1

Odd.

If someone could produce a crash dump file I'd be grateful.

It's not a mission logic problem but something under the hood with this latest game build.

The more info I can give the team the better.

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Odd.

If someone could produce a crash dump file I'd be grateful.

It's not a mission logic problem but something under the hood with this latest game build.

The more info I can give the team the better.

When i get time i'll try to reproduce crash again (in next few days).

I doubt it's game logic problem, more likely our pc's being not powerful enough to sustain amount of AI at one place making cpu or gpu cause crash.....note that i fly in VR which is demanding on my PC.

OK - thanks.

I did experience one crash during the first mission with the last build - this was the first time this ever occurred in many, many tests.

That one crash made me wonder as before that there simply had never been a single CTD.

I must say it didn't ruined my experience flying, i even enjoyed reflying that mission few times and i'm sure i will refly whole campaign at least few more times.....still best SP experience i had!

If there is any Youtuber or streamer out there this campaign is great material to stream (landscape, formations, objectives and a lot of action).

• Thanks 1

I've just completed "5. Dawn Patrol" and didn't encounter any issue, no crash. I've followed the leader all the time, except over the target area.

I usually don't use labels, except when I have a big doubt when identifying a fighter (friend/foe). It seems that when I had occasional crashes in the career mode, it was linked to switching the labels on the way back of a long flight to check for potential stalkers. Perhaps that's the difference?

I noticed on the log that three Lagg-3s crashed on the way back, all over the sea at about the same time. Out of fuel? Or is that on purpose (removing planes appear on the log as crashed planes)?

PS: flying over these mountains was great! Really enjoyed this one :) 

Edited by Redglyph
  • Thanks 1

I think Eagle lead has been hitting the vodka.  On the relocation flight to Sochi, he drug us over some E-Boats, never said a word as they were shooting at us, then calmly just changed course and led us back towards Sochi.  Later in the flight I noticed he, and the rest of the flight had dropped their bombs,  no idea when that happened either.

El, I went to investigate your problem, and never got as far as the target area, as I found an odd under the hood AI logic problem that seems to have been introduced with the last build that prevented me from getting there.

When I ran the mission, the AI leader flew the first 2 waypints, then ignored the 3rd (heading south) turned around despite the 3rd waypint being active, and dropped his bombs on Novorossiysk . There is no mission logic there at all, let alone activated logic.

When you ran the mission, the AI ignored the logic at the target zone.

So something is amiss now.

I've reported it and will keep you posted. I have to guess that this problem might manifest itself in other missions - which means I have some testing ahead of me tomorrow.

Ah... OK.   Also when we took off Lead made several orbits acting like he was going to make a low level attack on whatever enemies were advancing in the valley from the west, where the machine guns are spraying tracer at each other.  He would dive down to treetop level, head up the valley, then abruptly pull up and do an orbit over the bay, rinse and repeat, then finally said to form up and we flew away.

Yeah that’s the AI going rogue it seems.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah that’s the AI going rogue it seems.

Uh oh! Who knew a flight sim would spawn Skynet?!

Posted (edited)

OK, I fixed a minor waypoint priority issue which now has the leader progressing properly to the attack area, (as has been the case in every test of the mission previously) and in my test he attacked normally as did the other aircraft.

However after the leader dropped his bombs, the game crashed. This has never happened before in countless tests.

I'll talk to the team and see what's up.

I also fixed a minor vehicle problem on the field during take-off.

Not sure when fixes will make it into the player build. I'm gong to do a bit more testing today on a few other missions.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Thanks 1

Finished 4 missions and loving it! Outstanding campaign, thanks a lot Gambit21. Love the surprises in air (flights of transports, stukas etc.) and generaly unpredictable air traffic, not only flights related to your mission.

• Thanks 1

I know that AI quality can sometimes be a bit of a joke,  but on the odd occasion it can be surprising !  I flew mission # 7 [Two by Two]  I followed my leader out to sea to look for E boats that were causing a problem,  we attack the first one and my leader just repeatedly strafed the first E boat allowing me to attack from a different direction and put a bomb on the target, and the same tactic was employed for the second,   sunk both !   whether this would be the case if i flew the same mission again is another matter!!!!!!!!

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Nice!

AI does a good job for the most part, and is getting better.

That said I haven't seen the AI leader do that before - interesting. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Gambit's done a great job on this campaign and I encourage folks who enjoy flying the A-20 to really check this out. There are some great missions in here!

Having played a few Mission into this Campaign I only can encourage everyone to give this one a try. It is great fun for me and a welcome change from the single-player campaigns. Great Job, Gambit! 

• Thanks 1

It’s not built with online performance limitations in mind - but I’ll look into converting say the first and third  missions. Theyre fairly short, lots of action and AI shouldn’t be an issue.

Then maybe I can have them wrapped into an update.

No promises but I’ll investigate.

• Thanks 1

Going to have to get this one. Guess it is time I learned a bomber anyway.

Yes, I grabbed it (but haven't tried it yet) because it looks brilliant and seems like the very best reason to try out a bomber.