Han

Game version 3.009 discussion: U-2VS, Fortress on the Volga, Havoc over the Kuban

6 hours ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to flying the new planes and campaigns. 

Had one question about the new career mission's though.

"4. New Career mission "Troop concentration night bombing strike";
5. New Career mission "Enemy airfield night bombing strike";
6. New Career mission "Railway hub night bombing strike";
7. New Career mission "Supply dump night bombing strike";
8. New Career mission "River crossing night bombing strike";"

Are those for the new U-2VS? Or also for the current bomber campaign's like the He-111 or Ju-88?

Thnx!

Grt M

???? same question here - would be cool if that would be added for the axis level bombers too :good:

...and the U-2VS will be ordered asap - looks really awesome :salute:

Edited by Geleitzug

11 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Same as my tests , nothing like on videos shown online problems, and all is like in 3.008 so MP problems shown in video and expirianced by many in 3.009 look like are not coused by some unanounced DM or gun change

No change isn’t good though. I have been testing 8 .50s for days on AI K4 for instance and one time  you get insta-death/flamer from the shortest snapshot and another time you’ll dump 1/3rd of a 425 rpg ammo load from  dead astern before the kill. Effectively might  as well be rolling one of these things to determine what your guns solution does. If the majority enjoy this situation and think it is “realistic” I guess it is here to stay though.  🤷‍♂️ 

BFE1DDAA-FDE8-40E1-AFC1-7B1EF76AE4A8.jpeg

Edited by Rattlesnake

1 hour ago, AnPetrovich said:

:biggrin:

You know, this guy is Russian... And Russians never smile! ))) hahaha

It depends...

Smile.jpg

• Haha 12
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Geleitzug said:

???? same question here - would be cool if that would be added for the axis level bombers too :good:

...and the U-2VS will be ordered asap - looks really awesome :salute:

U-2VS is not available in career yet.

Now I feeeeel so alone , and out of the social flying compagny .....

WHEN .....to buy on Steam ???????     😭

11 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

No change isn’t good though. I have been testing 8 .50s for days on AI K4 for instance and one time  you get insta-death/flamer from the shortest snapshot and another time you’ll dump 1/3rd of a 425 rpg ammo load from  dead astern before the kill. Effectively might  as well be rolling one of these things to determine what your guns solution does. If the majority enjoy this situation and think it is “realistic” I guess it is here to stay though.  🤷‍♂️ 

BFE1DDAA-FDE8-40E1-AFC1-7B1EF76AE4A8.jpeg

Thats topic best fit for many topics about 3.008 DM descusions, as you can see from devs respons and quick MP fix they didnt do any changes in DM in 3.009

19 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

I'm not disparaging your tests, but your post includes some answers - snap shots are more likely to hit vital stuff around the engine/cockpit.  From dead astern can miss more, deflect or simply not penetrate - there is more in the way to get through.

Also, I doubt the DM changes between tests so the only conclusion for me is that high deflection = low probability of hit but if you do hit = high probability of significant damage with a short burst.  Low deflection = high probability of hit but lower probability of significant damage with a short burst.

von Tom

22 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

I'm not disparaging your tests, but your post includes some answers - snap shots are more likely to hit vital stuff around the engine/cockpit.  From dead astern can miss more, deflect or simply not penetrate - there is more in the way to get through.

Also, I doubt the DM changes between tests so the only conclusion for me is that high deflection = low probability of hit but if you do hit = high probability of significant damage with a short burst.  Low deflection = high probability of hit but lower probability of significant damage with a short burst.

von Tom

1. Dead astern shots are sometimes instakills. Sometimes flamer, sometimes pilot, sometimes whole tail falls off. And sometimes 2 seconds of puffs and plane is still flying. Random is the watchword.

2. If dead astern shots on fighters  are lacking lethality in a sim then that sim has a problem. 1. This is the shot that pilots took when they could get it, and we can assume that late war gun packages were up to the task after years of evolution and 2 it presents tail surfaces, elevator and rudder control cables/rods, possibly  fuel tank(s), pilot, and engine all lined up in a row. You shouldn’t be able to miss hitting *something*  ends the fight by shooting there. 

Its funny you mention deflection...people complaining about wings falling off with previous versions weren’t factoring in the fact that we almost all have years if not decades more  deflection shooting practice in sims than anyone got in real war. Thus we are vastly more likely to be concentrating fire accurately into turning planes that are 1. Exposing the whole planform of their wings and 2. putting said wings under g-load while they are being shot. 

Edited by Rattlesnake

Very VERY nice update devs! Give a major thanks to the guys and gals who made the U-2 as well. Very well done! Shes fun to fly, and lovely to look at as well. They did a great job. 😄

Now, if they can make a C-47/Li-2 with the same quality as the U-2, I'll be the happiest flying kitsune to have ever lived. =3

7 hours ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to flying the new planes and campaigns. 

Had one question about the new career mission's though.

"4. New Career mission "Troop concentration night bombing strike";
8. New Career mission "River crossing night bombing strike";"

Are those for the new U-2VS? Or also for the current bomber campaign's like the He-111 or Ju-88?

Thnx!

Grt M

Appears to be for all bombers. Started a new Ju88 career last night and first mission was No.5 above: "Enemy airfield night bombing strike".

Cheers.

You Guys are really incredible.   I'm never disappointed by the updates and the sim just keeps getting better and better.  Just finished reading "The White Rose of Stalingrad" and it would be great to have some of those missions incorporated into the sim, those ladies really contributed a lot to the defense and ultimately the offence of Russia.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the fast action.

My only intention was to bring the issue to the foreground, didn't want to put pressure on anyone. 

And the team delivered as usual - that is why I keep my full support since a long time, thank you again.

1 hour ago, kitsunelegend said:

Very VERY nice update devs! Give a major thanks to the guys and gals who made the U-2 as well. Very well done! Shes fun to fly, and lovely to look at as well. They did a great job. 😄

Now, if they can make a C-47/Li-2 with the same quality as the U-2, I'll be the happiest flying kitsune to have ever lived. =3

Of course! I am waiting the start of the C47/Li2! they guys handled the U2 in an outstanding way! lets make big transport for allies now! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rattlesnake said:

1. Dead astern shots are sometimes instakills. Sometimes flamer, sometimes pilot, sometimes whole tail falls off. And sometimes 2 seconds of puffs and plane is still flying. Random is the watchword.

2. If dead astern shots on fighters  are lacking lethality in a sim then that sim has a problem. 1. This is the shot that pilots took when they could get it, and we can assume that late war gun packages were up to the task after years of evolution and 2 it presents tail surfaces, elevator and rudder control cables/rods, possibly  fuel tank(s), pilot, and engine all lined up in a row. You shouldn’t be able to miss hitting *something*  ends the fight by shooting there. 

Its funny you mention deflection...people complaining about wings falling off with previous versions weren’t factoring in the fact that we almost all have years if not decades more  deflection shooting practice in sims than anyone got in real war. Thus we are vastly more likely to be concentrating fire accurately into turning planes that are 1. Exposing the whole planform of their wings and 2. putting said wings under g-load while they are being shot. 

why you be like that? 😄  This is a pc-based computer simulation of a technology used in a war that happened almost 80 years ago. This isn't a 21st century weather system simulator that can help save lives. I'm not saying it couldn't be better. But your focus on such specifics detract your attention from the whole point of why this game exists:  enjoyment!  Just enjoy the game! Have fun with it, man! 😎

• Upvote 1

Nice or great update, depending what you enjoy in the game. i did buy and try the U2 fun plane to fly, better than a WW1 one and more fun than a end of war "uber" fighter or bomber plane by its simplicity. Easy to put down on any flat surface but very fragile and slow but stable and still nimble enough to follow the inputs of the pilots without any trouble.

The U2 a really fun plane to learn to fly. Thanks, a very nice gift for Christmas or the New Year 2109.:salute:

And this is still more great news...

At the moment it can be used in QMB and multiplayer modes, but we'll add new Career mission types especially for it (Stalingrad and Kuban ToWs) next month.

Edited by senseispcc
Addition.
  • Like 1

So happy to see your campaign come out Gambit. I remember you talking about doing an A20 campaign before it came out and now its here :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should prolong a bit with that hotfix like all other studios, you're not giving us enough time to complain!

• Haha 4

4. New Career mission "Troop concentration night bombing strike";
8. New Career mission "River crossing night bombing strike";

I just wonder if these new career mission available to all bombers? and if so how often these are available in campaign if somebody can tell me i would appreciate

11 minutes ago, Papa_Bear said:

4. New Career mission "Troop concentration night bombing strike";
8. New Career mission "River crossing night bombing strike";

I just wonder if these new career mission available to all bombers? and if so how often these are available in campaign if somebody can tell me i would appreciate

People stated above these work for bombers currently in game ;)

Any plans as to when the GUI changes might come? Before or after Bodenplatte release?

Edited by RavN_Sone

Just some more gushing over the U2. Seriously fun plane to fly. Very very well made by the 3rd party team. 

About the new mission types in the career... 

It would be nice to be able to choose these types of missions in the QMB as well. Like in old '46 we could set up a quick mission for attacking bridges or airfields among other things. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

It depends...

You forgot to draw balalaika and I don't see any bear in the forest... oh, may be it's in the 1st cockpit? :biggrin:

• Haha 5

51 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

You forgot to draw balalaika and I don't see any bear in the forest... oh, may be it's in the 1st cockpit? :biggrin:

Ah, my mistake. :blush:

I cropped the image too enthusiastically.

Forgot about the dancing balalaika bears.

SmileVersion02.jpg

Anyway, I will have fun with the first biplane in game.

And the appropiate plane for sightseeing tours. Especially above cities like the ones on the upcoming BOBP map.

Flying around in the slow flying biplane might be the stepping stone to purchase Flying Circus.

Talking about WWII biplanes... next one will be a I-153?

PLEASE???

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Han said:

Friends,

We have fixed this new Multiplayer Damage issue - please update your game.

Sorry for this mistake, but long-time expected fixes in MP which we're working on requires very deep investigation and changes. Some things can't be located in internal test due to their random or specific nature. Anyway, we have located and fixed this issue as soon as it was possible and there less than 24 hours have pass from 3.009 release till this fix.

With Regards

IL-2 Sturmovik team.

Goddamn, that's some quick work if I've ever seen it. I was hoping for "maybe before christmas" not "next day". Thank you Han and team! Enjoy the holidays.

7 hours ago, unreasonable said:

one of the parachutes failed to fully open, the unfortunate falling to the earth rather slower than in free fall - I believe - but not slowly enough to save his life. 

Told you those chutes are no good.

Out of town for a few days but the U2 will be bought about five-minutes after I get home.

Gotta love those BOX quality planes! 😎

17. It is now possible to lean to the gunsight closer than before on all aircraft;

I said in the past, I will continue purchasing products, if VR cockpit boundaries get fixed. Now I was obliged to buy anything put on the store since then. Status: Po-2+, TC+, $90- 

😁🤝😁

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

U-2VS is not available in career yet.

😕 Yep and people don't read patch notes because they would know its states only usable in QMB and multiplayer currently, and support for career mode is next month.

..." At the moment it can be used in QMB and multiplayer modes, but we'll add new Career mission types especially for it (Stalingrad and Kuban ToWs) next month. "

Ahh , but I know, nut-ting....

Its just a topic to discuss the notes after all.

PS.
I loved the new dancing bears and smiling Russian patch update too... :-)

This thing is ludicrously slow, silly easy to fly (I honestly think she can land herself if you cut the engine and let go of the controls) and is defensively underarmed even compared to 1915 standards (or lack thereof).

...I love her. 😍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Han said:

Friends,

Sorry for this mistake, but long-time expected fixes in MP which we're working on requires very deep investigation and changes. Some things can't be located in internal test due to their random or specific nature. Anyway, we have located and fixed this issue as soon as it was possible and there less than 24 hours have pass from 3.009 release till this fix.

With Regards

IL-2 Sturmovik team.

What a PRO team! Truly outstanding!

Happy holidays everyone!

Will the night bombing strike missions also carry over to other airplanes?

I'm specificly thinking of the Fw 190s of NSGr 20 and Stukas of NSGr 1 and 2.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Forgot about the dancing balalaika bears.

:biggrin:

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Anyway, I will have fun with the first biplane in game.

Actually not the first.
Anyway have fun, fly safe!

5 hours ago, moosya said:

why you be like that? 😄  This is a pc-based computer simulation of a technology used in a war that happened almost 80 years ago. This isn't a 21st century weather system simulator that can help save lives. I'm not saying it couldn't be better. But your focus on such specifics detract your attention from the whole point of why this game exists:  enjoyment!  Just enjoy the game! Have fun with it, man! 😎

My commentary is not so much based on "It's not realistic!", a thing I am very skeptical of declaring with much certainty, except for limited cases like the much spoken-of test of single MK 108 shots on a Spitfire airframe, where the conditions and results of fire are very straightforward. Also, it is not a snap judgment, I have tested the current DM for days before coming to this conclusion. And I'm still not ready to write up anything in a dedicated post. Days more of testing may be necessary, and any upcoming patch may render all data moot. Hopefully will render it moot.

To make an analogy that will maybe illuminate what I'm trying to say,  imagine trying to play chess, but the rule is after you select a piece and commit to moving it, the exact way and number of squares you can move that piece will be decided by dice roll. You could hardly decide what was good chess or bad chess was from given position if on any given turn the opponent's rook might move like a knight, or your queen might randomly be limited to moving only diagonally, or something of that nature. Playing "air chess" or as it is more commonly called dogfighting with a dicey DM is a bit like that.

There are important game meta implications from many modeling choices that aren't so easy to sort out as "What was this plane's top speed and climb rate?". As a topical example, lowering damage effect from guns to a certain degree tends to favor the "tnb" style fighting, since they will be able to hold pipper on target for long periods of time, whereas "bnz" tactics will necessarily entail more short duration snapshots. With the current DM it would appear that both and neither have been chosen simultaneously 😉

P.S. I've played this genre of games since the late 1990s, with every single one of them of there are people on forums who say that X thing in the game is suspect and give many reasons, and other people who give just as many fine-sounding reasons that X is perfectly realistic. I'm fairly agnostic about many such matters myself, and am mostly interested in ramifications for gameplay. But if it necessary to avoid flame-warfare with the latter-mentioned group I'll go ahead and say with a straight face "Chill out fellow players of [Insert Current Flying Game Here], I'm SURE everyone who tried to model the same things in the past in different games and got different results was incompetent or dishonest".

Just purchased all 3 time to get down and dirty thank you guys and merry Christmas. I hope my P-51 mustang is coming out nice can wait to fly it. 

15 hours ago, Han said:

Friends,

With Regards

IL-2 Sturmovik team.

I just have to say that 1C as a DEV team has come one Hell of a long ways from the initial Battle of Stalingrad days. I thought, and probably most thought, the Team will find the problem and fix it in a few days, but Han, you guys(and gals?) have outdone yourselves by correcting this problem in under 24 hours. The Great Battle Series is getting better and better. Even the AI is improving little by little and the whole Single Player experience with it. Keep up the good work and teach the AI to run when in a badly damaged plane, run when badly outnumbered, to pick the closest target and not fly by an enemy and get shot up while attacking the enemy ahead of it to name a few improvements needed. I bought the U2-vs and both Campaigns. Thanks again to all involved and Merry Christmas.
S!Blade<><🌲

Edited by BladeMeister

21 hours ago, EpeeNoire said:

it is rather surprising how awkward some devs seem to be expressing themselfs here

Not long after this issue was discovered, Jason was hanging out with some virtual pilots over a warm beer in an underground pub in Covent Garden, after a day of taking photos of a Tempest that required a several thousand mile trip to access. 

So yeah, it’s annoying when updates break bits of the sim in unexpected ways and being unable to properly play online is second only to being stuck behind a slow driver in terms of frustration. 

But there are no office hours when it comes to managing this community and no days off, and having multiple people pile on to whinge about an unexpected issue you’ve already been made aware of tales more patience certainly than I would have. 

Give the team a break, they work far harder behind the scenes then they get credit for. We’re all on the same side here, after all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 18

Yes , and next time something gets broken after update people just need to relax and remenber that this dev team fix things as fast as posible, this one got fixed 12h after problems got reported. Not like some other games, so i guess people are not used to this speed we get here :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7