77.CountZero

Yak-9T as collectable airplane

With BoBp coming and expected move to PTO as next dlc, it would be nice to give some more Soviet fighter as option for players that dont have to big interest in west front or pto.

Yak-9U would be my favorit, but no maps in game where it can operate so probably only MP players would buy it, and just early Yak-9 would be almsot same as Yak-1B already available as collectable .

I think Yak-9T gives posibility to be included in existing DLC in game and someething interesting compared to Yak-1B and Yak-7b already in game so its good buy for SP and MP guys.

http://airwar.ru/enc/fww2/yak9t.html

google translate from link:
"The Yak-9T (tank) with an M-105PF engine, a VISH-105SV screw with a diameter of 3.0 m and powerful cannon armament was one of the first (along with the Yak-9D) modifications of the serial two-bar Yak-9 and differed from it mainly in armament

Armament Yak-9T consisted of a motor-gun OKB-16 11P-37 (later called the NS-37) caliber 37 mm and one synchronous machine gun UBS. The total mass of weapons is 315.5 kg versus 168.3 kg for the two-barred Yak-9, armed with one ShVAK cannon and one UBS machine gun.

The development of the 11P-37 gun was begun in 1941 by a group of engineers under the leadership of A. E. Nudelman and A. S. Suranov. Ground tests were very successful and ended in August 1942. The gun also withstood military tests on LaGG-3 aircraft in April-May 1943, after which it was finally put into service.

The gun was located in the collapse of the engine for firing through the hollow shaft of the gearbox and the screw hub and was attached at two points: to the engine and the glider. The barrel protruded from the screw of the screw to 160 mm, as a result of which the total length of the Yak-9T was 8.66 m versus 8.50 m at the Yak-9.

The machine gun was located, as usual, on the left side of the upper part of the fuselage and was intended for zeroing before opening fire from a cannon. The capacity of the cartridge boxes: with free packing - 30 shells for the gun and 200 rounds for the machine gun, with careful packing - 32 for the gun and 220 for the machine gun. Power guns and machine guns - continuous, using a crumbling ribbon of metal links. Sleeves and links from the machine gun were going to a special compartment of the fuselage, and from the gun - to the sleeve liner located under the weapon. Pneumatic reloading weapons. Fire control guns and machine guns - separate, push-button, from electropneumatic pulses EPS-1, the buttons which are located on the standard control stick aircraft.  

Aiming when firing at air targets, as usual, was made by aiming the aircraft using a mechanical annular sight BB-1 (air sight), consisting of a ring located inside the cockpit and a front sight on the fuselage in front of an armored visor.  

For firing at ground targets at the front edge of the wing, marks were placed that ensured the aircraft’s constant entry into the dive and the necessary distance for opening fire.  

The installation of a large and heavy 37-mm cannon (length - 3400 mm, weight - 150 kg) required a number of significant changes to the Yak-9 design. The power frame of the fuselage was strengthened in the front. For placement on the plane of the breech of the gun and maintaining the centering within the allowable limits, the cockpit was shifted back 400 mm, which somewhat worsened the forward hemisphere view (on landing), but improved the rear view (in flight). Due to the rear cockpit, which led to a shift in centering, the Yak-9T was less inert than other aircraft, which allowed the pilot to perform a combat maneuver, anticipating the enemy.  

The installation of the 37-mm gun required an improvement in the quality of the aircraft’s production, first of all, the quality of the installation work, since high recoil (about 5,500 kg) resulted in the disruption of pipeline connections, as well as cracks and the destruction of individual parts.  

According to the resolution of the State Defense Committee of February 18, 1943, all Yak-9 aircraft, including the Yak-9T, were to be produced from March 1 as a long-range fighter with a fuel reserve of 480 kg. Such a refueling in the initial stage of the flight led to a deterioration of the flight characteristics, especially the climb and maneuverability in the vertical plane. Therefore, the Yak-9T continued to be produced with 330 kg of fuel and a flight weight of 3025 kg.

With this flight mass, the Yak-9T in its flight-performance characteristics stood at the level of the two-unit Yak-9, somewhat inferior to it in the vertical maneuver and far surpassing the power of fire. On the mass of a second salvo, the Yak-9T outperformed the Me-109G-2 three-point aircraft - 2.24 times, the five-point aircraft - 1.16 times; Me-110 - 1.31 times; FW-109A-8 - 1.09 times.  

Compared with the Me-109G-2, armed with three cannons and two machine guns, the Yak-9T had the advantage in horizontal speed to an altitude of 4600 m. At an altitude of 4600 m, the speeds were the same, and the higher advantage went to Me-109G-2. The vertical speed of the Yak-9T was slightly inferior to the Me-109G-2 to a height of 2500 ... 3000 m and above 4000 m. In the altitude range of 3000 ... 4000 m, the vertical speeds of the Yak-9T and Me-109G-2 were almost the same. The horizontal maneuverability of the Yak-9T had a clear advantage over the Me-109G-2 to an altitude of 5,000 m due to the smaller turning radius and time.  

In the vertical maneuver, the advantage for the Yak-9T was maintained up to a height of 3000 m; at altitudes of 3000 ... 4500 m, the figures were the same, and higher - the advantage shifted to Me-109G-2. Me-109G-2 had a heavy control and when dragging the handle fell into a tailspin. On a dive, he was somewhat away from the Yak-9T, but at the exit from the dive he demanded very large efforts from the pilot, and therefore the output was slow, with a trajectory stretched in time and space. These circumstances contributed to the successful attack of the Me-109G-2 by our aircraft due to the anticipation at the exit from the dive and on the hill. The Me-109G-2 had a poor view of the rear hemisphere, and the pilot did not see the plane that had entered his tail. In addition, the Yak-9T could lead an offensive battle, even on turns. The Yak-9T was built by the AS Yakovlev Design Bureau in January 1943, according to the State Defense Order of December 25, 1942,  

The Yak-9T was built serially at the plant N153 from March 1943 to June 1945. A total of 2,748 aircraft were launched.  

The Yak-9T began operating in early 1943. From the end of this year it was successfully used to fight the enemy’s ships on the Black Sea.  

Military trials for combat use were carried out on 34 Yak-9T aircraft from July 5 to August 6, 1943 on the Central Front in 16 Air Army. On the Yak-9T flew 80 pilots of six regiments, which were part of 273.IAD 6.IAK (fighter air corps) and 1 Guards. Stalingrad iad.

78 air battles were conducted (31 of them were effective), in which, in addition to the Yak-9T, the Yak-1, Yak-7B and Yak-9 participated (428 sorties, including 150 on the Yak-9T). 110 enemy aircraft were destroyed, including: FW-190 - 54, Me-109 - 4, Ju-87 - 31, Ju-88 - 14, He-111 - 7. Of these, 49 were shot down on the Yak-9T (44, five%). Their losses - 36 aircraft, including 12 Yak-9T.  

The average consumption of ammunition for one shot down aircraft: 147 rounds of a caliber of 20 mm (Yak-1, Yak-7B, Yak-9), 31 rounds of 37 mm (Yak-9T), 123 rounds of 12.7 mm (all aircraft) .  

From August 17 to September 18, 1943, 12 Yak-9T aircraft passed military tests in conjunction with three Yak-9D in 18 GWI IA 1 on the Western Front. On the Yak-9T aircraft, 172 combat sorties were made with a total time of 151 hours 54 minutes, 47 battles were fought, 9 were shot down and 2 enemy aircraft were shot down, including FW-190 - 4, He-111 - 4, Ju-87 - 2 , FW-189 - 1. Lost three Yak-9T.  

The appearance on the front of the Yak-9T made a great moral impact on the enemy and greatly facilitated the conduct of air battles by our other types of fighters interacting with the Yak-9T.  

Prior to this, the FW-190 aircraft, with fairly strong weapons, willingly went on the attack on a collision course in aerial combat with the Yak-1. After the appearance of the Yak-9T, they began to avoid frontal attacks of the Yak aircraft.  

The presence of 37 mm cannon allowed to significantly increase the firing range. Without reducing the likelihood of hitting an enemy aircraft, this at the same time reduced the possibility of hitting the pilot of the Yak-9T with a bomber gunner. The most favorable distances for opening fire from 37-mm cannons: 400 ... 100 m for fighters, 600 ... 500 m for bombers. However, for the breakdown of enemy bombers, it was possible to fire from a distance of 1000 ... 1200 m fragmentation projectiles with self-liquidators.  

The experience of the combat use of the Yak-9T showed that the scheme of its armament with the NS-37 and UBS tactically very advantageous. A single projectile hit the enemy's plane resulted in its complete destruction. And the NS-37 armor-piercing shells easily pierced the armor of German tanks 30 mm thick at a distance of 500 m at an angle of up to 45╟.  

The high effectiveness of the 37-mm projectile and limited ammunition required the pilot to conduct only aimed fire with short bursts of one or two, maximum three shells.  

Shooting long bursts led to unproductive waste of ammunition, because after 2 ... 3 shots, due to the strong recoil of the gun, the plane fell off the aiming line, dropping its nose, which caused undershots when shooting at ground targets and a decrease in the route - when shooting at air targets . To continue the shooting it was necessary to restore aiming.  

The flight stability when shooting from a cannon depended, naturally, on the flight speed and the queue length: the higher the flight speed and the shorter the queue length, the less impact the gun recoil force had on the direction of flight.

The Yak-9T was successfully used to combat enemy aircraft of both fighter and bomber types. Among the flight personnel of the Yak-9T enjoyed great popularity and was highly appreciated due to the installation of powerful weapons and good flight data.  

In the conclusion of the military tests noted that:

1) the Yak-9T is a fighter aircraft required for the KA Air Force;

2) when forming parts of fighter aviation, it is advisable to make the regiments mixed, including 30 ... 50% of Yak aircraft with conventional armament and 70 ... 50% of aircraft with a 37 mm cannon;

3) Yak-9T aircraft, it is advisable to arm the part of the flight crew, good command of air firing. The pilot, flying on the Yak-9T, must be a kind of air sniper and be able to hit the enemy for sure - from the first shot.  

The creation of the Yak-9T at the height of the war with a powerful 37-mm caliber quick-fire cannon and its rapid development in production and operation played a large role in the conquest of air superiority by our aircraft. "

"

Modification      Yak-9T
Wingspan, m      9.74
Length m            8.66
Height, m            3.00
Wing area, m2      17.15
Weight, kg     
  empty aircraft       2298
  normal takeoff      3025
engine's type      1 PD VK-105PF
Power, hp            1 x 1180
Maximum speed, km / h     
  on the ground      533
  on high                  597
Practical range, km           735
Rate of climb, m / min      910
Practical ceiling, m      10,000
Crew      one
Armament:      one 37 mm NS-37 motor-gun (30 rounds ammunition) and 
                          one 12.7 mm UBS synchronous machine gun (200 rounds)"

Spoiler

ebcc9229d433611cd8687f1b7390a2af.png

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ru/yak9t.shtml

page 307:
https://books.google.ru/books?id=VRPPAAAAQBAJ&pg=PT319&dq=история+эксплуатации+як-9т&hl=hr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMouCClqzfAhUHAhAIHfIcBAMQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20042.htm

post any more info about units that used it and where it operated, posibly on maps we have in game and so on to make it more posible to make for this game as collectable

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fww2/yak9t/

yak9t-1.gif

yak9t-6.jpg

yak9t-4.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=GUI3DwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA208&ots=MnqaBeYQEw&dq=Yak-9T&hl=hr&pg=PA202#v=onepage&q&f=false

A “Golden Oldie” from 1944, Yakovlev Yak-9 Tempory Technical Manual Compiled by: V.G. Ferrein and M.V. Yaasnogmiyadov. Dated 27 March 1944. Credit: Irfan S. Hokan

( have info on 9t and other variants, in russian )

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 3

The timeframe would fit for late Kuban. Probably fitting for the Battle of Kerch. So definitely makes more sense then the La5 FN. That said, I think there are still quite some important VVS aircraft missing in the respective theatres (which the 9T isn't to any currently available). Regarding fighters, i'd prefer an early Lagg or Yak (with P engine) to better represent the very varied VVS aircraft setup during Moscow timeframe and also Stalingrad summer campaign (so the Yak1 S.67 would not have to stand in as replacement anymore, since it wasn't there at that time). Or even better one of the important early attack aircraft/bombers like Su-2 or IL-4. 

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

We already have two Yak-1 available to us, one more and on top of that earlyer version i dont think would sell as well as new type of yak family, if external diff are not big maybe just add early engine modification to Yak-1 is beter option (like La5 has F mod added later). 
We dont have any Yak-9s in game available now, and to me only Yak-9T is something thats differant enought from available airplanes, have good performance and could fit existing maps so it can be easy included in career or campaign SP missions, as give competative airplane in MP for some later scenarious also for player to buy.
Regarding bomber i can see reasns for making IL-4 as compared to Pe-2 atleast it has bigger bombload.

Edited by 77.CountZero

I think Yak-9T could be worth it if with modifications you can turn it into a Yak-9M (20mm cannon, automatic water radiator, and M-105PF2 engine as late 44 production). It won't be as good as the Yak-9U against BoBP planes, but it was there in the late war in good numbers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I think Yak-9T could be worth it if with modifications you can turn it into a Yak-9M (20mm cannon, automatic water radiator, and M-105PF2 engine as late 44 production). It won't be as good as the Yak-9U against BoBP planes, but it was there in the late war in good numbers.

That would be good option, they do look same from outside

Yak9M:

yak9m-1.jpg

Yak9T:

yak9t-2.jpg

Edited by 77.CountZero

20 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I was not able to fined that Yak-9M used that M-105PF2 engine, could only see it on Yak-3 and Yak-9U prototype.

Also where ever i look Yak-9T is faster, better climber and better turner, so maybe just add 20mm option and its set for 1944 ops also to represent M if needed.

Edited by 77.CountZero

7 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

I was not able to fined that Yak-9M used that M-105PF2 engine, could only see it on Yak-3 and Yak-9U prototype.

Also where ever i look Yak-9T is faster, better climber and better turner, so maybe just add 20mm option and its set for 1944 ops also to represent M if needed.

In this page I got the info http://www.airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-9/yak-9.html#12

Translated with Google:

Yak-9M

Yak-9M was a modification of the serial Yak-9D and had a fuselage made by the type of Yak-9T . The modification was carried out in order to unify the design of the fuselage, using them depending on the needs for the release of the Yak-9T or Yak-9D . In addition, the wing was strengthened on the Yak-9M, an emergency reset lantern cockpit, automatic water temperature control ART-41, a push-button radio control, filter dust collector at the engine inlet were installed, the antenna was shortened, the upper beam was 260 mm and the lower beam was 240 mm, the mechanical reloading system of the gun was replaced by a pneumomechanical, etc. 
The Yak-9M Head-end passed state tests at the Air Force Research Institute from December 17 to 27, 1944
The Yak-9M was mass-produced at Plant No. 153 from May 1944 to June 1945. From October 1944, the VK-105PF2 engine was installed on it. Total produced 4239 aircraft.

Don't know about speed data, I saw a couple numbers with the PF engine, being slower than other Yaks, in fact similar to our Yak-1 s69 which sounds really strange. Maybe it's the automatic radiator or the intake filter but at first glance I don't know what could explain having lower performance than both the 9T and 9D it was based of.

• Upvote 1

I agree

yak 9t can be great

now lets see how sells works on last collector plane, i am pendant to buy it but seems the plane is masterpiece , this can definitely open doors to 3rd party .... and maybe on next year we can have more new planes 

:)

For me the first musy be I-153 but Yak9T is another good idea. 

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, 77.CountZero said:

We already have two Yak-1 available to us, one more and on top of that earlyer version i dont think would sell as well as new type of yak family, if external diff are not big maybe just add early engine modification to Yak-1 is beter option (like La5 has F mod added later). 
We dont have any Yak-9s in game available now, and to me only Yak-9T is something thats differant enought from available airplanes, have good performance and could fit existing maps so it can be easy included in career or campaign SP missions, as give competative airplane in MP for some later scenarious also for player to buy.
Regarding bomber i can see reasns for making IL-4 as compared to Pe-2 atleast it has bigger bombload.

Yeah I agree, it would be better to get them as modifications after some thought. But I still think as already said, early variants are more important, because Moscow is lacking the most in planeset, when compared to real life, as opposed to fit in an aircraft that doesn't belong to any current theatre. 

Furthermore I think, that western aircraft make a lot more sense as collectors right now. With the current aircraft set we can pretty much fill many Russian theatres (except BoM) with a lot of different aircraft from both sides. That is not at all the case for BoBp, we really only have those 10 aircraft, because no other aircraft fits the scenario even close. So I think main priority should be now, to enrich this theatre, before giving out more Russian aircraft.

• Upvote 1

You never can have enough Yaks. But let´s see they shurely have an idea or two about the next collector planes.

• Upvote 1