56RAF_klem

No true multi-monitor support

We have been waiting a long time for the future development plans whcih included "re-vamped triple monitor support" but which link has now become broken.

'Muiti-monitor' or Triple Screen was addressed some time ago but only resulted in a three-screens-wide graphic view which produces very bad stretching on the side screens. Nothing has been done to provide multi-monitor viewports as in DCS. Yes, I fly DCS too but my Squad is firmly based here in IL-2 BG.

Given that this is a combat simulation and it is common practice to fly line abreast or finger four it is impossible to maintain formation because the stretched side views give a false impression of how far apart we are. The stretching gets worse the further left or right we look and frequently the pair on the far side of a four ship spread look closer than the leader. It is so bad that for IL-2 BG I have gone back to single screen with side screens turned off, in other words I have gone back years in capability due to the IL-2 BG graphics limitations. It really is disappointing to have to live in the past. I believe there are many triple screen users out there who share this view.

I expect there is much focus on improving VR but I am not sold on VR especially in IL-2 BG with no clickable cockpit because of the need to work 'blind' with keys and controls so multi-monitor will remain my first choice for the foreseeable future.

Can we please have true multi-monitor support with adjustable viewports including the capability of a fourth monitor below for instruments? This gives very good immersion close to that provided by VR, is more 'user friendly' and at a far more economical cost.

Edited by 56RAF_klem
New Sig
  • Upvote 1

What he said and especially:

On 12/18/2018 at 1:25 AM, 56RAF_klem said:

Can we please have true multi-monitor support with adjustable viewports including the capability of a fourth monitor below for instruments? This gives very good immersion close to that provided by VR, is more 'user friendly' and at a far more economical cost.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:25 AM, 56RAF_klem said:

We have been waiting a long time for the future development plans whcih included "re-vamped triple monitor support" but which link has now become broken.

'Muiti-monitor' or Triple Screen was addressed some time ago but only resulted in a three-screens-wide graphic view which produces very bad stretching on the side screens. Nothing has been done to provide multi-monitor viewports as in DCS. Yes, I fly DCS too but my Squad is firmly based here in IL-2 BG.

Given that this is a combat simulation and it is common practice to fly line abreast or finger four it is impossible to maintain formation because the stretched side views give a false impression of how far apart we are. The stretching gets worse the further left or right we look and frequently the pair on the far side of a four ship spread look closer than the leader. It is so bad that for IL-2 BG I have gone back to single screen with side screens turned off, in other words I have gone back years in capability due to the IL-2 BG graphics limitations. It really is disappointing to have to live in the past. I believe there are many triple screen users out there who share this view.

I expect there is much focus on improving VR but I am not sold on VR especially in IL-2 BG with no clickable cockpit because of the need to work 'blind' with keys and controls so multi-monitor will remain my first choice for the foreseeable future.

I certainly think true multi monitor support should be in but claiming a 4 monitor setup is somehow more user friendly and more economical than a 300 dollar oculus rift or odyssey plus setup is just crazy talk.

12 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

I certainly think true multi monitor support should be in but claiming a 4 monitor setup is somehow more user friendly and more economical than a 300 dollar oculus rift or odyssey plus setup is just crazy talk.

hahaha

It is when you already have the monitors....

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 4:11 AM, BM357_TinMan said:

hahaha

It is when you already have the monitors....

Absolutely!

I already had three monitors when Rift was just a twinkle in its mother's eye. Anyway, although Rift, etc, 'puts you in the cockpit' (I have tried it but didn't like the resolution issue) a four monitor setup goes a long way towards the same result. I bought 1 first then 2 then 1 more over time.

If someone was going to spend $600  on four monitors I would definitely suggest VR except for, IMHO, the shortcomings of no switchable IL-2 cockpit or finger touch facility to go with it and of course the price tag of around $1400 for the latest. If you use the keyboard or programmed panels like CHM you can't see them and HOTAS doesn't deliver enough.

So c'mon Jason. Help us out here?

Edited by 56RAF_klem

Posted (edited)

I had run 3 monitors for the last 10 years in all the flight sims I've flown, including IL-2, for most of the time I've played it.  Unless zoomed all the way out, I did not find the fisheye effect all that bad, but I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.  Even at levels like 80% of full zoom out, I didn't think the stretching was too bad.  Maybe I simply got used to it, and since all the rest is periperhal vision anyway anyway, it didn't interfere.  Fisheying is just inevitable if you want to have an ultra-ultra-wide field of view.  The time came when I wanted G-sync, so I reluctantly abandoned those three old monitors and went to a single screen 34', with much higher refresh rates.   Despite the massive performance increase, and enhanced smoothness from doing that, it took some getting used to and I wasn't sure I should have done that, but now I'm glad I went that route.  I think the amount of triple-headed users might be so few that asking for more than is there currently might not be something to hope for.

Edited by SeaSerpent

All I want (being a triple 27" user with TrackIR) is for menus, the bombsight, and the map to appear as they do when on a single screen. The bombsight is completely unusable with 3 screens, which should be a higher priority to fix than the rest. 

FYI, 

I recently took the VR plunge and OMG the immersion is unparalleled.  I used three monitors for years with trackIR and it is good but, it just can't compete.

That being said, until VR doubles the resolution, the low resolution of VR almost offsets the immersion factor that is gained; and I have to say, imho, until the resolution is upped to an acceptable level, three/four monitors, if you have them, is the slightly better option.

@BM357_TinMan: that's exactly what I found although a couple of friends have the latest higher res types and swear by it. However I already have the 'real estate' of my monitors and the DCS immersion is great with viewports but I have had to go back to one monitor in IL-2 due to the stretching.

@SeaSerpent: I fly with my squad buddies, usually in spread formations, and as I said  in earlier posts it is impossible to judge separation in the side monitors due to the stretching. I suspect Jason won't bother with viewports because of VR which is a great shame because it means we will have to fork out around £2,000 to upgrade our GPUs and buy the VR kit on top of our already high spec PCs.. That's not going to happen any time soon for many players and some will never go VR.

It would be nice to hear from Jason on this.

Turns out, after doing a lot of research while building a new PC for my mother-in-law, I decided to finally upgrade from my i7-2700k and gtx 970, and I ended up picking up a Rift S also. I have to agree, the immersion is AMAZING. You really do feel like you're on the cockpit.

I still have some adjusting to do, you really do feel the physiological effects of maneuvering to an extent. I haven't flown in VR enough yet to know how I would compare it to the 3 monitors at 5460x1080, but I can't see not wanting to fly in VR now that I have it. Having said that, I don't know if I'll be able to fly for long periods with it, so I may still end up using the 3 screens and TrackIR some of the time. So, I'm still hoping to see this fixed some day!