bulldog1spitfire1

Pacific Campaign.

Nothing's been forgotten. Do a search for Jason's comments on the matter, and you'll know where that project stands.

What kind of commentaries are these?  😕

The Pacific itself is still outstanding. Maybe it will be the next theatre, but we will only find out at the end of Bodenplatte how it will go on.

1 hour ago, [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo said:

The Pacific itself is still outstanding. Maybe it will be the next theatre, but we will only find out at the end of Bodenplatte how it will go on.

Agreed. Really anxious over this one, but I know all good things come to those who wait. Bodenplatte should keep us all busy in the meantime, let alone all the other maps, careers, Flying Circus looming, campaigns, etc.

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Like 1

It will all depend on further working the the game engine's ability to deal with large numbers of "AI" controlled units.  Take a typical US cruiser for example, and it's rather generous anti aircraft gun complement.  That many guns spread over one of the current maps probably isn't a big deal, but put them all in one place, several times over because of the number of ships covering a carrier, and enjoy the slideshow, and "Server over loaded" messages when a flight of enemy aircraft show up.

Even when Jason and the team get all the info they need on Japanese aircraft, this will be the hurdle that must be conquered.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Burma, no ships no problems, but not many usa airplanes mostly raf or some other non carrier battle/area. Even in 1946 we would make mods to deactivate unnecesary guns as it would turn in slidshow with big number of capital ships and 60-80ppl, i cant imagine now how in this game even 1 bb or 1 carrier would work online and they would make them in bigger detail then ships were in il-2 1946.

Edited by 77.CountZero

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

not many usa airplanes

P-40, Mohawk IV, P-38, P-47, P-51A, Vultee Vengeance and a number of others. Not that bad I'd say. More like ... not many IJN airplanes, since they only participated in a few larger operations.

But map and campaign itself are certainly very appealing. And a lot more interesting from geographical standpoint than russian steppe or even BoBp map.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo said:

We will know the next expansion before then, right? I seem to remember BoBP was announced several months before BoK was actually released. 

• Upvote 1

Seaplanes are interesting to me. They already in ROF, hope we can see them in the PTO too.

I 've never played reconnaissance/attacker seeplane lunch from ships, maybe IL-2 PTO will make it come true!!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GarandM1 said:

We will know the next expansion before then, right? I seem to remember BoBP was announced several months before BoK was actually released. 

Possible! They announced Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew in November 2017 and Kuban released in March 2018.

When we're closer to final launch on Bodenplatte then I'm sure they will start talking about the future and I think they all know that there is anxiety in the community on what will come next and if it will be the Pacific as everyone is hoping for or if the challenges faced gaining needed materials was too difficult.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

P-40, Mohawk IV, P-38, P-47, P-51A, Vultee Vengeance and a number of others. Not that bad I'd say. More like ... not many IJN airplanes, since they only participated in a few larger operations.

But map and campaign itself are certainly very appealing. And a lot more interesting from geographical standpoint than russian steppe or even BoBp map.

i misstype i ment usn airplanes, Burma just dont say pto like masses see it, F4F4, F6F or F4U, and also like you say no japan navy airplanes also. I would like it depending what part of op is selected as area is big.

2 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Possible! They announced Bodenplatte, Flying Circus and Tank Crew in November 2017 and Kuban released in March 2018.

When we're closer to final launch on Bodenplatte then I'm sure they will start talking about the future and I think they all know that there is anxiety in the community on what will come next and if it will be the Pacific as everyone is hoping for or if the challenges faced gaining needed materials was too difficult.

Let's hope we here something soon-ish and that its Pacific! I would be thrilled even if they have to do it in a somewhat limited fashion like in Burma as others have mentioned. 

• Like 1

Just now, GarandM1 said:

Let's hope we here something soon-ish and that its Pacific! I would be thrilled even if they have to do it in a somewhat limited fashion like in Burma as others have mentioned. 

i would expect some news about next dlc in 3-4months atleast

2 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

i would expect some news about next dlc in 3-4months atleast

No biggie, there are lot's of things to look forward to from FC, TC, and more trickle BoBP content until then.

So for example airplanes they could make for  Operation U-Go in 1944 Burma

Ki-43-II-Kai
Ki-44-II-Ko
Ki-61-I-Otsu
Ki-45-Hei/Otsu
Ki-21-II or G4M1

vs
A-36A            
Hurricane Mk.IV        
Spitfire Mk.VIII
Beaufighter Mk.VI        
B-25C/G/H 

and P-38J, P-47D and Spits V we already get with BoBp

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Takuya_liang said:

Seaplanes are interesting to me. They already in ROF, hope we can see them in the PTO too.

I 've never played reconnaissance/attacker seeplane lunch from ships, maybe IL-2 PTO will make it come true!!

This. I am a big fan of the idea of mission variety. Photorecon, rescue missions etc. The Catalina and/or the Mavis, to me, could fill the 'collector's plane' slot that the Ju52 filled in BoS. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Ki-43-II-Kai
Ki-44-II-Ko
Ki-61-I-Otsu
Ki-45-Hei/Otsu
Ki-21-II or G4M1

vs
A-36A            
Hurricane Mk.IV        
Spitfire Mk.VIII
Beaufighter Mk.VI        
B-25C/G/H 

The G4M? Were any Navy units operating in Burma in 1944?

36 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

F4U

Brits brought some Corsairs and maybe Hellcats on board of their carriers in 1944/45, but im not sure if they did anything important there.

22 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Ki-43-II-Kai
Ki-44-II-Ko
Ki-61-I-Otsu
Ki-45-Hei/Otsu
Ki-21-II or G4M1

vs
A-36A            
Hurricane Mk.IV        
Spitfire Mk.VIII
Beaufighter Mk.VI        
B-25C/G/H 

2.5 years ago I've posted that. Huh, so much time has passed since then.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The G4M? Were any Navy units operating in Burma in 1944?

490Th Bomb Squadron in China-Burma-India book mentions when they were in burma in 44 they got bombed by G4M1, so i included them as option as its better bomber then Ki-21, but they probably operated from far east bases, i expect japanese used them all over asia because of big range

35 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

Brits brought some Corsairs and maybe Hellcats on board of their carriers in 1944/45, but im not sure if they did anything important there.

2.5 years ago I've posted that. Huh, so much time has passed since then.

I didnt notice any mentions of use of thouse airplanes, i selected 10 that i could fit, Burma is big depending on area or year airplanes list is totaly differant, and then PTO was so close then :)

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

Is there a the potential for seafires ? I know that the brits loaned a carrier to US command for ops in the pacific after pearl harbor, but can't remember if the carrier used its own fighters or US ones ?

Edited by =11=Herne

4 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

Actually the majority of British fighter-bomber were Corsairs and also a good numbers of Hellcat (but less prevalent as they were required by the USN). Seafires (which were relegated to CAP due to short range) were relegated on only two squadrons.

In the same way the main attacker was the TBF Avenger with some units equipped with Barracudas and some Firefly units too

8 hours ago, danielprates said:

This. I am a big fan of the idea of mission variety. Photorecon, rescue missions etc. The Catalina and/or the Mavis, to me, could fill the 'collector's plane' slot that the Ju52 filled in BoS. 

The Solomons.

• Upvote 2

One of my favorite planes to fly in modded '46 was the Kawanishi H8K "Emily".

One of the best missions I ever flew in my entire time in flight sims was in that thing.  The BlitzPigs were helping play test the Solomons  map, along with the FA squad, and several other informal members of "Team Pacific".  BlitzPig_Raven is a real pilot and he plotted a devious attack on Henderson field with him and myself in the big flying boats.  I forget the name of the island where the seaplane base was, but it was far up the slot.  Raven had laid out a course far to the west, technically "off the map", but still very realistic for a long range mission in the Pacific.  He navigated us to the target with his stopwatch and "whiz wheel" calculator, just like in the old days.  We stayed just under contrail height, where the Emily is quite fast.  Our run in from the IP was from the West, over Guadalcanal.  Target: Henderson Field.  They never saw us coming.  We scored good hits on the airfield and navigated back to home base, untouched.

Oh how I would love to be able to do that again.

emilyslotus7.jpg

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

It will be a hell lot of work for devs but it will pay off, i'm sure!

Polishing engine to sustain more AI at one place, new tech, torpedos, ships visibility on greater distances (outside 9k bubble) and carrier landings.

It could attract a lot of new players into il2, players who know little about ww2 beside the vets and fans of PTO.

I know Facific Fighters dragged me into old il2 while i didn't know what was 109, P51, Spitfire, Zero, Wildcat or Corsair.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

One of my favorite planes to fly in modded '46 was the Kawanishi H8K "Emily".

One of the best missions I ever flew in my entire time in flight sims was in that thing.  The BlitzPigs were helping play test the Solomons  map, along with the FA squad, and several other informal members of "Team Pacific".  BlitzPig_Raven is a real pilot and he plotted a devious attack on Henderson field with him and myself in the big flying boats.  I forget the name of the island where the seaplane base was, but it was far up the slot.  Raven had laid out a course far to the west, technically "off the map", but still very realistic for a long range mission in the Pacific.  He navigated us to the target with his stopwatch and "whiz wheel" calculator, just like in the old days.  We stayed just under contrail height, where the Emily is quite fast.  Our run in from the IP was from the West, over Guadalcanal.  Target: Henderson Field.  They never saw us coming.  We scored good hits on the airfield and navigated back to home base, untouched.

Oh how I would love to be able to do that again.

emilyslotus7.jpg

Delicious. To me one of the best aspects of any sim is to use realistic navigation methods (something that always make me say: where is the crew nose position in the A20, for navigation purposes, regardless of the crewman operating no guns and the bombsight being accessible from the pilot's seat??).

The PTO could pose some challenges in that respect (the huge, featureless distances alone!), which in my book is reason enough to hope for it to become GB's next installment.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, =11=Herne said:

Is there a the potential for seafires ? I know that the brits loaned a carrier to US command for ops in the pacific after pearl harbor, but can't remember if the carrier used its own fighters or US ones ?

One of the things I was (and still am) excited for with a Battle of Okinawa situation is (assuming that they don't just do Okinawa and are thinking a bit larger just as they are with Bodenplatte) the potential for including the British Pacific Fleet. And the reason for that is that it would be extremely minimal amounts of modification to turn a F4U-1D Corsair into a Corsair Mark IV. Give us a Seafire III Collector Plane (based on the Spitfire V model) and we're off. The BPF used Corsairs, Avengers and Seafire types extensively and they used them in conjunction with the US forces operating around Okinawa. Ideally we'd need the Illustrious-class and a British destroyer class and we'd have an entire extra option for players who want something a little different from the standard USN operations at the time.

It'd be very interesting.

looks like pacific is a no go.  funny how some ppl direct you to search for a comment that is years old.  so no update since then?  

27 minutes ago, sinned said:

looks like pacific is a no go.  funny how some ppl direct you to search for a comment that is years old.  so no update since then?  

We've had no word either way. Suggesting it's a "no go" is just as accurate as saying that its absolutely moving forward.

We'll learn more when the devs are ready to talk about it. They still may not know yet.

One of the things that GB could use some improvement is radio navigation (though it already is kinda good as it is right now). A PTO game would have to adress this matter a little better, specially if we get american carrier planes. Boy would I like to face the challenge of crawling back to a carrier in the middle of the ocean using things like the ZB-1 radio! Even il21946 had a reproduction of that system so it shouldnt be too hard a thing to implement.

Tbh what I would absolutelly love to see is a simple drawing tool, like in the "silent hunter" series, to use with the map. You open up the map, click a "thingy" or "gizmo" and the mouse becomes a tool for drawing lines, marking things or sorting out angles. No in-game navigation is really good without that. As I understand it even fighter pilots would carry a pencil to make map notes, and I always miss it when flying long distances.

Edited by danielprates

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

We've had no word either way. Suggesting it's a "no go" is just as accurate as saying that its absolutely moving forward.

We'll learn more when the devs are ready to talk about it. They still may not know yet.

Oh they know. :)

Simply because PTO can't be a last minute decision because of the work/research/tech involved.

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Can I have a Firefly please?

33QiSK.jpg

Seconded!

12 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Oh they know. :)

Simply because PTO can't be a last minute decision because of the work/research/tech involved.

That's fair :) I just gotta love the folks who say that we haven't heard anything so it's an automatic "no go." We'll find out when the time is right :)

Sakishima-gunto would be the minimum requirement to include the British Pacific Fleet in any meaningful way in a Okinawa scenario. The map would be massive considering the mandatory inclusion of Kagoshima prefecture, but that's the least of my concerns. Maps will have to be bigger for pretty much all Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre scenarios. It's only a concern at all because of the very small number of airfields midway between Okinawa and Kyushu (for quick- & multiplayer-missions).

My biggest concern in terms of realizing the Okinawa campaign would be the staggering number of ship classes necessary to give just a general overview of the armada involved. I'm very confident of the Dev-team's abilities and dedication, but the amount of work involved in properly realizing the much smaller number of vessels involved in a potential Midway scenario already worries me. Each ship would need a high fidelity AI capable of executing prudent evasive manoeuvres, utilizing some sort of damage control, radar, gun directors, etc., as well as a detailed damage model to go along.

Considering this, I doubt they would/could include Royal Navy ships on top of the already overwhelming amount of US ones.

The planeset of a hypothetical Okinawa scenario would most likely look something like this: F4U-1D(+C), F6F-5, TBM-3, SB2C-4; Collector Aircraft: P-47N. The Seafire (CAP only) just isn't important enough (and a bad carrier aircraft anyway).

Spits fit Burma so much better... (And Burma = Ki-44, B-25H and Vengeance :blush::yahoo:)
A Mk. Vc would also fit New Guinea as a collector plane following up the main release...

...but I'm afraid those brilliant scenarios just lack the carriers - because that's what the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre mostly was - not.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Upvote 1