Sign in to follow this  
Paladin314

Navigation assistance...

Hi guys. are there any tools on the maps to help with nav? If I'm not on Wings of Liberty server, i have a tough time with land marks.

17 minutes ago, Paladin314 said:

Hi guys. are there any tools on the maps to help with nav? If I'm not on Wings of Liberty server, i have a tough time with land marks.

Yes, at the beginning it's a bit difficult, but you get used to it. I have some tips for you that might help you for navigation.

1. Before you start your mission, just study the environment of your home airfield. Keep easy landmarks of your home in mind,

such as towns (and the shape of it), rivers and lakes, cross sections, railways, bridges and little woods. And memorize the

aspect of the emplacement in relation to compass (N-E-S-W). Try to setup a flight plan according to some distinctive landmarks.

2. When you start your engine and get ready to take-off, check the direction of your take-off. Are you getting airborne E, W etc.?

3. After you get some altitude make gentle turn over your home airfield and check the landscape and its landmarks.

4.Take the direction you need for your mission / flight plan. Try to figure out some landmarks which will help you to keep your

flight path.

5. Once in a while check your map. When doing so, switch on the autopilot (there's nothing wrong about it), look out for some

distinctive landmark and check your map. If you find your landmark on the map, then move your mouse pointer to the according

landmark on your map and leave it there. Close the map and continue your flight manually.

6. The next time you check your map according to step 5 you will find your mouse pointer at the same spot when you checked

the last time. This way you don't have to check the whole map. You see your last known position and so you can anticipate

your current new position by checking again some distinctive landmarks outside the cockpit and compare with your map.

If you can find your new location, then move your mouse pointer accordingly on the map and again leave it there, don't move

your mouse and close your map.

This is the way I do navigate - it's not perfect, but helps me a lot. With some practice you will see that it's not that difficult.

And when you set your flight plan, try to keep it simple, make some waypoints and check the target area for some distinctive

landmarks as you will need them in the heat of combat to find a way back for home.

Good flight and don't get lost.

Cheerio

• Like 1