gemanuel1

Tips on fighting AI fighters

Hey! Im fairly new to IL2 and have been playing single player for a while now. Im playing single player to learn the basics and after that i want to start playing multiplayer. One thing i am having problems with is the AI fighters, i know that i shouldn't turn fight a yak-1 with a fw 190 and stuff like that, but i still find the AI challenging to say the least. They just turn and turn and turn, they turn better than you and they use their engines more efficient (throttling from 60-0-87-49-90-100-40 to not overheat but still push the engine) than me somehow. For example,  i dive in with my bf-109 and shoot down one yak-1 and when i check my six there is three yaks there (500 m or so behind). I use my engine power to climb and i see that they are having problems keeping up and after 3000 m i see them having more and more difficulty keeping up. Here comes the problem, they still follow me and i can't turn on them because they just stick on me like glue. I try to get such a distance that i can dive on them but then they just turn and then i up and do the same procedure again without result. Basically, i think it is hard fighting the AI because they are so aggressive and they turn so good and so much. Do anyone have any tips, tricks and experiences to share to help me?

Practice. That's really all it is.

18 minutes ago, gemanuel1 said:

I try to get such a distance that i can dive on them but then they just turn and then i up and do the same procedure again without result.

Eventually your gunnery will hopefully get to a point that you get a result and then you are down to 2 yaks chasing you instead of 3.

There is no secret trick, you will eventually learn how to conserve your energy whilst they erode theirs avoiding your attacks. Some online pilots are very good at evasive maneuvers and energy traps. Your gunnery needs to be exceptional to hit them, or you need a wingman to hit them whilst they are focused on you.