Motivated

New hangar

Is it just me or would anyone else like to see an updated hangar in the next couple patches? I'm getting tired of seeing my planes in the same gloomy one we've had for years now.

Edited by Motivated

Perhaps we'll see the Christmas tree in there again this year. The welder got so depressed by the gloom that he quit.

A hanger reno is not on my want list but it's fun when they throw something extra or whimsical in now and then.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Perhaps we'll see the Christmas tree in there again this year. The welder got so depressed by the gloom that he quit.

A hanger reno is not on my want list but it's fun when they throw something extra or whimsical in now and then.

I always laughed at the welder bit. No one in their right mind would ever weld in an aircraft hangar, let alone with an aircraft present. :lol:

• Upvote 4

Yes, those old Christmas Baubles that were presented in RoF were lovely desktop decorations. I hope they have the time and inclination to do them again.

Good idea Xmas tree in corner with the working class welder man back ..lol😃

Edited by II./JG77_Con

It is quite a dark and gloomy introduction to the game and the music sounds a little bit like the opening theme to the soap opera, Days of Our Lives.  There is definitely room for improvement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have nothing against the actual background (hangar scene) and I like it. Well, if there were some other pictures to choose from - OK.

Although I have turned off the background music - it is nice too, well done and suits quite good with its pathetic touch, after all some of

us fight for motherland Russia.

But what I really don't like and this is annoying, because you can't turn it off, is this "wroooom - tacktacktack - kaboomkaboom" - man,

I can't hear it anymore and that's why I mute the game as soon as I'm logged in and turn the sound on again, when I sit in my cockpit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Although not super important, but it could use improvement. I would like the Total war approach. Every DLC brings it's own introduction screen, and the player can shuffle between them. Therefore the player can select introscreens by theme.

- BOS (Russian or German airfield with burning city on the background)

- BOM (Same but with airfield between the forests

- BOK (Airfields between the mountains)

- BOBP (Airfield in Belgium or Germany) 

Airfields can be dressed up with other aircraft and scenery.

Grt M

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Although not super important, but it could use improvement. I would like the Total war approach. Every DLC brings it's own introduction screen, and the player can shuffle between them. Therefore the player can select introscreens by theme.

- BOS (Russian or German airfield with burning city on the background)

- BOM (Same but with airfield between the forests

- BOK (Airfields between the mountains)

- BOBP (Airfield in Belgium or Germany) 

Airfields can be dressed up with other aircraft and scenery.

Grt M

Good idea and to complete your suggestion:

- BATTLE OF THE PACIFIC: Aeroplane sunken between two coral riffs with some tropical fishes

Edited by -IRRE-Therion
  • Like 2

I miss the basic opening screen art from 1946...may have been part of a mod but,  the one that shows the 109 and spit pilot out of their planes having a chat... :)

Yes I've never liked the hanger as it stops the feeling of involvement during single player campaigns, and loading the 3D hanger and plane causes a pause of a few seconds and delay. and choosing options on a quick mission has stutters and delays due to the Hanger in the background.

I think a random photo/choice of photo would do fine and speed the interface up.

The hangar scene plays havoc with my fps - 59/60 all the time in game but 10/20/35 and everything in between, plus pauses(!) every time the hangar is loading. I don't give a stuff for welders or Xmas trees, and I don't begrudge the time it takes to load, but stuttering and slowdowns - no thankyou :negative:.

Edited by 216th_Cat

Do you remember that Jane's WWII Fighters hangar and its atmosphere? With the contemporary music, aircraft encyclopedia with opened cowlings, cockpits? And parts of the interviews with the Aces :)? I believe that at least full BoBP version would deserve something similar.

• Upvote 4

At some point they will probably redo the GUI and I suspect the hangar along with it too. The hangar worked relatively well for the series Eastern Front WWII roots but with the expansion into tanks and WWI it seems like a variety of options may be better suited to the overall feel of the series. If we go to the Pacific would a carrier deck or hangar under the deck be more suited? An island airport backdrop? Not sure how they will handle this over time but I imagine its been thought about.

I'm sure that the hangar is pretty low on the priority list but perhaps as a longer term strategy.

17 minutes ago, ChiefWH said:

Opening it up to modding is the way in my opinion.

Like this one you mean?...

• Like 1

I would just like to be able to turn off the hangar sounds for once.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, nop51flyboydee said:

i like the hanger scene because it gives you a chance to wajk around the aircraft and get a good look at the every aspect of its design.

That is true. And that why i suggested to adjust it per battle to just give it a bit off extra flavor.

Grtz M

the stuff Antonis Karidis (rOEN911) does would be a good choice for some main menu stills and load screens too! it would really change the feel of the game!

Spoiler

antonis-karidis-greece-lightning-scene.jpg?1517925011

antonis-karidis-x.jpg?1498482873

antonis-karidis-bodenplatte-artwork-tempest-en.jpg?1510953920

antonis-karidis-cx.jpg?1508751756

antonis-karidis-bodenplatte-artwork-me262-en.jpg?1510953973

antonis-roen911-karidis-ju-52-art.jpg?1520535192

Edited by catchthefoxes

2 hours ago, catchthefoxes said:

antonis-karidis-bodenplatte-artwork-me26

First time flying this in the game will be great. Very nice artwork from rOEN911. Time for some additional splashscreens in the game. 

And a very nice film he has produced too:

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, ChiefWH said:

Opening it up to modding is the way in my opinion. People thrive on customising such stuff. I'm amazed at what people do with UI mods in other games.

Of course opening that up would no doubt take some work, but once the options are there I'm sure people would pick it up and run with it and you could end up with many more themes than could ever be planned and made by the team.

I've actually given serious thought to a historically correct fonts mod😅 Replace the menu music with shostakovich or prokofiev too.

logo_eng.thumb.png.3d8ba357b61c7bfd13c21e802cdeec8c.png

Edited by LizLemon
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, LizLemon said:

I've actually given serious thought to a historically correct fonts mod😅 Replace the menu music with shostakovich or prokofiev too.

logo_eng.thumb.png.3d8ba357b61c7bfd13c21e802cdeec8c.png

Schostakovitsch and Prokofiev - now that sounds very good, especially Schostakovitsch as he composed a symphony relating to the Second World War.

Maybe this will help a bit to enlighten the darkness in hangars?

Splash Screen.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 12:49 AM, =AWACS=CG_Justin said:

I always laughed at the welder bit. No one in their right mind would ever weld in an aircraft hangar, let alone with an aircraft present. :lol:

When you could be shot in the the head holding a wooden plate with a number in a lineup of 50 men the day after a troika found an enemy of the state, you would care xxxx about welding a few feet from a fueled plane. Life was cheap under the Georgian bank robber's reign.

Uufflakke the milkmaid looks awesome, every pilot should have xxx before a war sortie, after all you never know what could happen:)

Edited by Kandiru

9 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Schostakovitsch and Prokofiev - now that sounds very good, especially Schostakovitsch as he composed a symphony relating to the Second World War.

Actually two. His 7th "Leningrad" and 8th "Stalingrad" Symphonies. Especially Stalingrad is very melancholic and moving. I get depressions listening to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Actually two. His 7th "Leningrad" and 8th "Stalingrad" Symphonies. Especially Stalingrad is very melancholic and moving. I get depressions listening to that.

Didn't know about the 7th one but I was thinking of the 8th one - "Stalingrad". He had actually some trouble when he published his work, because some of the

"Politbüro" suspected his oeuvre as disguised criticism addressed to Stalin.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:28 PM, -IRRE-Therion said:

Didn't know about the 7th one but I was thinking of the 8th one - "Stalingrad". He had actually some trouble when he published his work, because some of the

"Politbüro" suspected his oeuvre as disguised criticism addressed to Stalin.

The first movement of the Seventh ‘Leningrad’ symphony has a theme running through it (the ‘invasion theme’) which ostensibly reflects the German army advancing on the city, but apocryphally was written in the 30s and secretly was designed to reflect Stalin’s rise to power. 

It’s a great piece of music, starts off fairly whimsical and just keeps building to become overwhelming. 

Players typically don’t spend more than a few minutes in the menus.  I imagined something shorter like Sacred War by Aleksandrov. 

4 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Players typically don’t spend more than a few minutes in the menus.  I imagined something shorter like Sacred War by Aleksandrov. 

That´s perfect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Totally agree!  That's the song I used as menu background music for IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946.  Wish there was a way to that in Great Battles.

I think it would be kinda sweet to have the hangar and music based upon the plane being displayed. Since each product is a stand alone and we are entering different theaters of operation such as shifts to the western front, the Pacific theater and whatever else comes down the pipeline I thought the ambience could cater to the nationalities being displayed. Just a small example;

American P-47, etc...perhaps a Jeep sitting nearby and a few big radials being worked on while big band type music from the '40's plays in the background.

German 190, etc...maybe a Kettenrad and some officers nearby conferring together while looking at the plane with some rousing WW2 era German type of tune playing.

British Spitfire, etc...WW2 era Brit fuel truck standing by while a small group munches on scones and tea near the plane while God Save The Queen plays.

Etc., etc.

Okay, just kidding on the Brits, but you get the picture.

Just my two cents.

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, BornToBattle said:

I think it would be kinda sweet to have the hangar and music based upon the plane being displayed. Since each product is a stand alone and we are entering different theaters of operation such as shifts to the western front, the Pacific theater and whatever else comes down the pipeline I thought the ambience could cater to the nationalities being displayed. Just a small example;

American P-47, etc...perhaps a Jeep sitting nearby and a few big radials being worked on while big band type music from the '40's plays in the background.

German 190, etc...maybe a Kettenrad and some officers nearby conferring together while looking at the plane with some rousing WW2 era German type of tune playing.

British Spitfire, etc...WW2 era Brit fuel truck standing by while a small group munches on scones and tea near the plane while God Save The Queen plays.

Etc., etc.

Okay, just kidding on the Brits, but you get the picture.

Just my two cents.

You mean God Save The King of course and not Queen!?

That aside as it is the same tune, may i suggest the following music style!?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, Haza said:

You mean God Save The King of course and not Queen!?

That aside as it is the same tune, may i suggest the following music style!?

Lol...crap...didn’t even know they had a King! All I ever hear about is the Queen! Ah yes, there is the rock group. Never mind, this is getting off from the OP’s topic! But yes, yur rite.

Ha Ha! I've just seen the Christmas Tree in the Hanger. Well done team, but it seems the welder in the corner isn't going home for the festive season! 

Merry Christmas to Jason and the whole team involved with IL-2 in any way. They have performed miracles over the past year and deserve a richly earned rest. Thanks for everything and looking forward to 2019 and more superb additions.

7 minutes ago, Elem said:

Ha Ha! I've just seen the Christmas Tree in the Hanger. Well done team, but it seems the welder in the corner isn't going home for the festive season! 

Merry Christmas to Jason and the whole team involved with IL-2 in any way. They have performed miracles over the past year and deserve a richly earned rest. Thanks for everything and looking forward to 2019 and more superb additions.

If I am not mistaken, the Dev's are probably still very much hard at work this week. Russia celebrates "Orthodox Christmas"  which will be 7th Jan next year.