P47 Turbo-Supercharger needs mismanagement damage

Ok, I love the flying bathtub as much as the next person, and I'm sure the @Jason_Williams and the gang are busy trying to get the 262 to not explode the physics engine and various other incomplete things, but I humbly suggest that when the team gets some time, a damage system for the TSC be investigated. 

I say this because A) I was just generally disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any reason to learn to use it properly when the plane was released but also B) cruising through some P47 threads it seems there are a number of people who've found ways of getting artificial performance improvements out of it by doing things the plane's official training videos specifically state not to do (like move the throttle below the TSC, and not move the propellor in step with the throttle, and/or using only the TSC to modify performance at sea level).

That is my opinion, and that is all. 

*Puts on fire-retardant suit*

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 5:01 AM, GridiroN said:

I say this because A) I was just generally disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any reason to learn to use it properly when the plane was released but also B) cruising through some P47 threads it seems there are a number of people who've found ways of getting artificial performance improvements out of it by doing things the plane's official training videos specifically state not to do (like move the throttle below the TSC, and not move the propellor in step with the throttle, and/or using only the TSC to modify performance at sea level).

It's not only the P-47 which gets a benefit in level speed by doing so. At least the P-39 and the Yak behaves the same. As long the manifold pressure/RPM doesn't incur detonations that's fine IRL - look how the P-38s range got increased by Lindbergh. Not everything could be anticipated in manuals.

For the rest of P-47 mishandling - yes - it should results in turbo failures such as damming, pulsing or collapse.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, GridiroN said:

Thanks for your feedback. I agree, turbo damage would be a good addition.

TBH, I find that our foolproof turbo is a bit of a letdown as well. 

Then again, it would take a lot of systems modelling to reflect the effects of a turbocharger, even more so than with the supercharged engines, and even there one seemingly has to cut corners.

It does take away some of the fun from flying. Then again, this is a combat sim and nit P3D/XP. Systems modelling would hardly come for free as well with all its consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Well, a major milestone for Bodenplatte was released released (and the work is fantastic). 

With that said, a discussion on r/Il2Sturmovik reminded me of this thread. Figured I'd try bumping it and see if there's any news, or at least bring a bit more attention to this issue. 

Edited by GridiroN
  • Thanks 2