CB77Don246

WOW what a sim

Ok I know I am preaching to the converted but just have to tell the world, I have just flown the second mission in Blazing Steppe in a Yak 1s I recorded it so as to look and see the other planes in the mission wow I was blown away this is one great sim just love it ho and I downed two 109s.

So anyone that thinks the old iL2 is just as good you must be on another planet. iL2 Great Battles rocks in all departments and they have not finished yet.

I have ROF and WW1 is my drug so looking forward to any up dates on FC.

Ok must go to bed now no need to get up early I am retired ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Welcome aboard! This third generation of the IL-2 series has grown, expanded, and refined itself into an incredible sim experience. It's a lot of fun and it's only growing from here.

• Upvote 1

No I do not have VR  a little confused by it old man (me) and new tec, the cost is also a consideration and what to buy.

5 hours ago, CB77Don246 said:

No I do not have VR  a little confused by it old man (me) and new tec, the cost is also a consideration and what to buy.

It significantly improves immersion, but the current systems are low in resolution and have limited peripheral vision. 

Using it gives you depth perception and the ability to look around things. The German cockpits in particular were built to exploit binocular vision, with the hindsight positioned right around where your right eye, only, is looking right through it, giving a very nice sight picture. 

If you are being blown away by the game right now, I'd hold off on it for the moment and wait until 1080p, high field of view, equivalent headsets are affordable, and focus on getting all the controllers you need for the game for now. 

Though, I imagine if you find yourself setting into the 190 and getting frustrated with the deflection shooting in it, it might be worth saving up the nickles and dimes. Occulus Rift is currently the most plug and play version, though it sounds like the HTC VIVE is trying to become an openish standard. 

Edited by Voyager

Thank you Voyager for that, I do have Trackir but rarely use it I prefer to padlock the enemy planes.

I have a hearing problem and only can hear using headphones and I wear glasses (getting old I am old)  would this be a problem with VR. 

Just checked the price of the HTC VIVE and it is way beyond me at the moment I will stay with what I have.

Edited by CB77Don246

look at the rift.

lovely built in headphones, less system hungry and the standard for current simming.

I'll not fly in 2d any more.

• Upvote 2

Headphones and glasses not an issue for most VR headsets.

Eventually, decent FOV headsets making their way to the market but they require computing GPU horse power to drive.  Pimax 5k/8k headsets seem the ticket in the near future.

Also, with respect to glasses, if your vision is long sighted, you might not require to wear them as the headset lenses are different to view through compared to looking at a computer monitor.

Welcome to the game, looks like you’re off to a nice start. 

Get VR if it fits the budget- you’ll be in for one of the finest surprises of your life. Game changer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey Don glad you're having a blast !

I'm new to Great Battles (but a long time RoF'er), and I'd recommend giving the head tracking another go.

Maybe you need to tweak the settings to make it better ? (There are some downloadable profiles out there..).

Apart from anything it'll free up some joystick button capacity which will help in WW2 planes.

I think a quick shout has to go out to the original IL2..

It was a massive breakthrough in combat sims and the foundation to what we have now, I think it's fair to say.

It was an out of character chance buy for me (£5 in PC World) way back.. hell's teeth how much have I spent on simming since !

I've not had it installed for ages, but I believe it's still fairly popular.

What you have to remember is that these are all games at the end of the day, and how something 'plays' is a personal thing.

The original IL2 has so many planes, maps, mod packages.. that alone will appeal to many.

I used to love that you could fly any plane in a given offline mission (DBS Mod ?), wish you could do that in Great Battles..

Salute !

Wellcome to the sim CB77Don246

All this talk of VR and no one has mentioned WMR headset :biggrin:

It's easier to setup then both the Rift and the Vive, uses less USB ports and has a better FOV and has 1440 resolution screens and is cheaper! I only paid £279 for my Dell headset and I find it perfect for BOX. Also works great with your choice of headphones, I use a Razer blackshark expert 2 headset and the VR headset fits over them fine.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, Zooropa_Fly said:

Hey Don glad you're having a blast !

(...)

I think a quick shout has to go out to the original IL2..

It was a massive breakthrough in combat sims and the foundation to what we have now, I think it's fair to say.

It was an out of character chance buy for me (£5 in PC World) way back.. hell's teeth how much have I spent on simming since !

I've not had it installed for ages, but I believe it's still fairly popular.

What you have to remember is that these are all games at the end of the day, and how something 'plays' is a personal thing.

The original IL2 has so many planes, maps, mod packages.. that alone will appeal to many.

I used to love that you could fly any plane in a given offline mission (DBS Mod ?), wish you could do that in Great Battles..

Salute !

I recall when in 2006 people posted what flight sims will be in 10 years. And what is now doesn`t cover a tenth of it, sadly. A rather depressing picture.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, Zooropa_Fly said:

I used to love that you could fly any plane in a given offline mission (DBS Mod ?)

That was "DBW" (Dark Blue World).

Meanwhile it has been Super-Super-Superseded by BAT (Battlefield-Airborne-Tactical): https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,264.0.html

Last time I've checked (BAT 3.0 "Checkpoint Charlie") we've had 1074 planes available in the WW2 section ("WAW", "World at War") alone, not counting the other modules (Dawn of Flight, The Golden Age and Jet War): https://storebror.it.cx/sas/BAT/planes/

It is still very popular, even though compared to IL-2 Great Battles it's definitely showing it's age.

:drinks:

Mike

• Thanks 1