Sign in to follow this  
xJammer

Aerodynamic damage and stall/spin characteristics

Taken from the patch notes discussion

With a few more hours in the game I really enjoy the new DM, but I feel the aerodynamic effects of damage are too benign. 

Damage to the wing increases the drag and reduces the lift. The lift is modelled as you need to use aileron to correct for it, but I do not feel the asymmetrical drag is there.

The lift coefficient of the damaged wing (CL) changes with the angle of attack, so pulling a combat manoeuvre will aggravate the results of damage even more so

https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/18186/1/AIAA 2015 Almond Render Walker.pdf

https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/17506/3/Pickhaver Render 2.pdf

image.png.0e2e6bd6d838fd34cad86d1b38da316b.png

As a result, pulling up with a damaged wing will first cause that wing to slow down due to increased drag (yawing into the wing). Secondly it will asymmetrically decrease the lift that the wing produces (more aileron input required) the lift decrease is both due to slow down and due to CL dropping. Combined it is a recipe for a violent stall. Right now even with severe wing damage keeping the aircraft at a stall is quite trivial.

In short I would have expected more uncontrolled violent spins from damaged aircraft that are riding the stall. Especially if they are performing a tight turn. Right now if the damage is taken to a wing we get a mediocre wing drop that is easily corrected and no yaw effect at all. Pulling up hard is also possible without an immediate wing drop.

Edited by xJammer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

Hmm interesting indeed, I hope more will add input on this topic. It could be a definite game improvement.

I agree. I always had the feeling that wing damaged planes could put too good of a fight. Nice research.

Did you check any of the available airframes ?

I've been putting a lot of time since 3.007 dropped into P-47 flying and thing that I've noticed in particular was that once any of the wings is damaged the loss of lift is visible. Either wing feels heavy and reduces your ability to manouver. Entire stability is affected therby affecting performance. Its very noticeable if you fly with autopilot on and then wing gets damaged - autopilot tries to compensate for the loss of the wing and keep airplane poined where its supposed to fly but in effect it just wobbles left and right.

It's first time I've noticed such effect in the game.

16 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

Did you check any of the available airframes ?

I've been putting a lot of time since 3.007 dropped into P-47 flying and thing that I've noticed in particular was that once any of the wings is damaged the loss of lift is visible. Either wing feels heavy and reduces your ability to manouver. Entire stability is affected therby affecting performance. Its very noticeable if you fly with autopilot on and then wing gets damaged - autopilot tries to compensate for the loss of the wing and keep airplane poined where its supposed to fly but in effect it just wobbles left and right.

It's first time I've noticed such effect in the game.

Agreed, huge loss of lift when P-47 wing is damaged. This is the only aircraft I've noticed this in though.

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Agreed, huge loss of lift when P-47 wing is damaged. This is the only aircraft I've noticed this in though.

If I grasp it correctly what the OP tries to tell us is that the loss of lift in one wing is already modelled, but what is not modelled is that when you pull, thus increase angle of attack, the lift generated by the wing is going to drop even more so than normal. 

Imagine you are flying damaged p47 and need to apply right stick to correct for the fact that your left wing is damaged. Now if you were to pull up the left wing will fly normally as you are correcting for it, as per the OP paper what should happen is that your left wing would drop even though you are correcting for it, because it lost more lift due to you pulling up the aircraft.

Yes some of you got it right. The change of lift in damaged part is modelled, however asymmetrical drag and CL that depends on the AOA of the wing is not.