Merlin 66 vs 70 Comparison

that doesn't show power settings you were using though. 

Last week I took a spit on KOTA with a 66 then with a 70. 

Spit 66 supercharger kicked in at around 14 - 15 k feet. It started to feel a bit flat with combat power at around 23 ish k feet.
Spit 70 super charger kicked in at (not sure exactly) but early 20 something K feet. This baby was happy to climb effortlessly up to about 35k feet.

I decided that if I wanted to operate in the mid 20k area or above, then I would rather have a merlin 70.

Edited by =11=Herne
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have found that when using +12lbs RPM 2900 (30 minute power setting) or the continuous power setting Merlin 70 starts to enjoy advantage much lower, at 4000 m or so already. At 6000 m M70 is full 10 mph faster (indicated speed) at continuous and  7 mph faster using 30 min power setting.

1 hour ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I have found that when using +12lbs RPM 2900 (30 minute power setting) or the continuous power setting Merlin 70 starts to enjoy advantage much lower, at 4000 m or so already. At 6000 m M70 is full 10 mph faster (indicated speed) at continuous and  7 mph faster using 30 min power setting.

yes that's indicated in the OP's graph, its to do with the super charger gear change

3 hours ago, =11=Herne said:

yes that's indicated in the OP's graph, its to do with the super charger gear change

In his graph M66 is faster at 6k, because its done at 3000 rpm +18 lbs. Once I have the time I want to test M66 vs M70 at all altitudes and power settings