Han

Game version 3.008 discussion: Damage model update, fixes and improvements

Thank you to Team 1C. I bought the new campaign. Thank you for continuing to work on the AI. Thank you for continuing to improve The GB Series.  

S!Blade<><

7 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

You must be missing then. I have no problems shooting down anything with the Mk 108, destroys P-47s and other things in one shot most of the time.

Yea, I'm not talking about hitting them and shooting them down though. I said it's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOOT THE WINGS OFF. It used to take 1 maybe 2 hits to take the wing off, now more like 10. 

Short 60 minutes test in berloga and I like it ,finally not all  kills are wings off !

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

You must be missing then. I have no problems shooting down anything with the Mk 108, destroys P-47s and other things in one shot most of the time.

shot off wings in one MK108 shot?

• Upvote 1

AI pilots will bail out of aircraft with cracked wings or fuselage instead of trying to fight;

By far the best improvement, imo

2 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

shot off wings in one MK108 shot?

one burst, I guess

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ACG_Nightrise said:

all my ammo in a yak 1b to kill a single 109. what is this  🙃

the end of easy mode?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

If you hit a wing with enough rounds it falls off like always but sometimes you don't need that many shots to bring a plane down.

So far I like it, even if the future it needs tuning 😃

Edited by LF_Gallahad
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ACG_Nightrise said:

I just have to ask... were you hitting the Bf109?  😃

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Short 60 minutes test in berloga and I like it ,finally not all  kills are wings off !

This is great for multi-player I'm sure but maybe there could be option to keep the old damage model for SP. This feels way too drastic.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

This is great for multi-player I'm sure but maybe there could be option to keep the old damage model for SP. This feels way too drastic.

They can't have two parallel damage models functioning in the game simultaneously. That would be a coding nightmare. 

Adapt and overcome! Aim for aircraft centreline, a round in the engines or the pilot's head still does the job. Its just not going to be easy sawing wings off anymore, which is probably a touch more realistic in any case.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

OK, there are ups and downs here, and great that the game is continuously tuned.

After couple hours of testing against AI I think the 15) effect is now overcorrected... I mean that I really like that IL-2 for example takes a lot more beating and does not go down because of broken wing every time, but still I have not seen a single time that wing will break on a damaged opponent; -even if the opponent was in high-G turn and the hits were right in the middle of the stressed wing. Target just snaps because of HE explosion about 30-60 degrees towards the hit, but keeps going.  My opponents at turnfight were mainly La-5's. This "Damaged Parts + G-effect" for example has been one of my biggest selling points when I've recruited my old suspicious IL-2'46 buddies back in WW2 simming. And I've not even tried against those yet who are especially mentioned in 13), so this applies to other planes also.

References:

* 13. P-47D-28, Yak-7b and Spitfire Mk.IXe wings made less fragile when damaged;

* 15. An overdone HE explosion effect on the primary structure of an aircraft has been reduced.

4 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

This new dm model is more towards realism , two separate dm models would be a mess in maintenance. You gonna use to it, anyway this someday will  change too if they add another layer and variables to this.

11 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

I know that wings flying off is fun, but plane is still going down after few good hits, kill is a kill.

Edited by Korowiov
Typos

41 minutes ago, ACG_Nightrise said:

Don't aim at the wing but at the tail. One hit 109 tail kills seem to work even better then before. I got killed this way twice in a row just now.

It feels that the aerodynamic impact is not there for the amount of damage things are able to tank now. It is much better that wings aren't flying off randomly, but the aircraft should not be airworthy in any meaningful manner after getting 10/20 cannon hits. Right now as long as the engine is not seizing up and you are able to trim the damage you basically get a completely capable fighter - top speed does not dramatically change, you don't get violent spins because of the lift asymmetry due to wing damage and so on. My prediction is that the new metagame will be engine sniping.

Edited by xJammer
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

Yea, I'm not talking about hitting them and shooting them down though. I said it's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOOT THE WINGS OFF. It used to take 1 maybe 2 hits to take the wing off, now more like 10. 

I my opinion, even to this point MK 108 has been hardly viable upgrade to MG 151/20, as you could do almost the same, but with more ammo and better rpm. The difference was too small as wings came easilly off. But now as the HE effect has been altered very drastically (even too much I'd say) you do better with MG 151/20; I guess because there are 50% AP rounds in the belt and MK 108 has none.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Korowiov said:

I know that wings flying off is fun, but plane is still going down after few good hits, kill is a kill.

Yes it used to cool way to take down planes, I'm gonna miss it. 

Great update! THANKS VERY VERY MUCH, devs!

New DM, AI improvements etc... It is wonderful to see that the sim is constantly evolving!

What I love is how you guys are improving this sim. 

Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Korowiov said:

Might be a weird question but is there any way to disable those animations? I kinda liked my pilot to have the mask all the time.

What? Lol, no, there isn't. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

What? Lol, no, there isn't. 

Just askin', don't see anything funny here. Anyway thanks for answer.

• Upvote 1

I also gotta give you guys a big thanks for looking into the FFB stuttering problem!  I didn't have a lot of hope for that one since FFB is a niche tech these days. 

Really happy with this patch! The AI has improved noticeably over the last patches! The DM changes are really nice in my opinion. Instead of blasting aircraft out of the sky with one burst you chip away and cripple parts! Man it feels nice to see flaps, ailerons and elevators falling off a smoking He 111 that then looses control and crashes. Much better than just having wings fall off left and right :).

Happy with the direction this is going in!! :good:

Edited by Psyrion
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

Really happy with this patch! The AI has improved noticeably over the last patches! The DM changes are really nice in my opinion. Instead of blasting aircraft out of the sky with one burst you chip away and cripple parts! Man it feels nice to see flaps, ailerons and elevators falling off a smoking He 111 that then looses control and crashes. Much better than just having wings fall off left and right :).

Happy with the direction this is going in!! :good:

Honestly I agree. Despite it can be even better with more fixes I think this is a right direction to go for the DM

• Like 1

Hi all!

After short testing this damage model feels way better than earlier and it has went somehow towards clod (more realistic?)...

Thank you Jason and Co. !!!

-veccu-

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Just quick test of the new DM:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

So finally after 2 patches this means that the days of LW titanium planes, and also "one hit wonder" to Yaks, P47s and other planes are over? 

Good to hear that Devs; we are back on track. I was missing doing PKs to 109s when shooting from their 6 at 50m with BS 12.7mm.

S!

I really have to wonder if we are playing the same game! LOL

Also awesome how fast you guys (devs) acted on many small but pressing issues, seriously awesome!

Edited by Sunde

Some people here need to grasp the concept that a plane considered shot down IRL is in most cases not desintegrating in mid air. Planes fell apart too easily in Il-2 before, thats a lot better now, but bringing home a damaged plane is harder than before. If you go down after being severely hit, even 5 mins out, thats a "shot down". If you destroy a Pe-2 with 2-4 30mm that seems more than reasonable to me. One hit dewings or lost entire tailsections by some 20mm hit (it happed IRL but rarely) were really bugging me recently.

Thanks for this update devs, it really is one of the most important ones for this simulator in my opinion. So happy to see how this fares in MP now :biggrin:

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 7

Many thanks for continuing to pour attention into this product at all levels (not just new content you can sell). Looking forward to playing later tonight!

So I just wasted all my 109 cannon ammo just to kill 1 lagg. This is crazy, previously he would've needed 1/4 the hits to go down.

• Haha 1

Great update. 👍

1 minute ago, Lubos said:

So I just wasted all my 109 cannon ammo just to kill 1 lagg. This is crazy, previously he would've needed 1/4 the hits to go down.

I smell a conspiracy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lubos said:

Uhm... I think your term "wasted" is correct. 
If you hit a Lagg with even 5-10 20mm shots its probably gonna have a hard time...

however firing and hitting are not the same! (duh) 

• Haha 2

Along with others i want to thank Han and the team for their continued work..especially regarding the Ai improvements.

Keep up the great work Devs. :good:

Edited by Adger
  • Upvote 2

RE: patch notes vagueness (Post)

6 hours ago, Warpig said:

Would you like a copy of the code too?.. 🙄

Well  I to also like more details on stuff from devs patches, community always guessing what half these things mean, a one line description is often of the time vague and meaningless.

Not talking about a book here just clarifications on stuff that can have a big impact in game. May stop all the community guess work and arguments.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

After new patch game crashed sometimes  without any reason.

I've nothing changed on my machine or game settings. Sometimes game crashed to Win, sometimes to main menu.

Ramm.