Han

Game version 3.008 discussion: Damage model update, fixes and improvements

2 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

The HE nerf seems a bit odd to me.

I always thought HE was the primary/best ammunition to down aircraft. Now in game AP was already better then HE to shoot down aircraft before the update (easily replicable by taking La5 and switching between AP and HE only). And now HE was made even weaker? Or am I missing something here?

Looks like the effects from HE shells were affecting areas of the plane they wouldn't really impact in real life due to location of the hits. So HE isnt nerfed per se, just not damaging thigns in ways it shouldnt.

Honestly it looks like from this DM update fatal structural damage is probably going to be a lot harder to inflict with all ammo on all aircraft. My prediction is we'll see less wing off scenarios, but HE may come out the winner in higher AOT shots where the AP rounds will have less opportunity to damage longerons. 

We'll just have to play and see!

• Thanks 2

Complaints, complaints, complaints...

Why don't you just give it a try first before starting to complain?

That's nothing more than a command of politeness towards the devs.

@edit: This isn't aimed at RedKestrel as he's just saying that: "We'll just have to play and see!"

This update is great and the continuous work being put into this sim/game is outstanding.

And that's not a bootlicker phrase if you know what I mean...

:drinks:

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 12

So finally after 2 patches this means that the days of LW titanium planes, and also "one hit wonder" to Yaks, P47s and other planes are over? 

Good to hear that Devs; we are back on track. I was missing doing PKs to 109s when shooting from their 6 at 50m with BS 12.7mm.

S!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

Thank you very much ! Very good Work , nice Progress !

17 minutes ago, Operation_Ivy said:

Too me it reads like AP will be even better compared the HE now.

I think the patch includes a plethora of changes that are all somehow interconnected.  The total result has to be judged and from the short gameplay that I got in, in sum the changes feel  convincing. There are much fewer wing offs in general and HE seems to do a lot more internal systems damage.

Edited by =EXPEND=SchwarzeDreizehn

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Looks like the effects from HE shells were affecting areas of the plane they wouldn't really impact in real life due to location of the hits. So HE isnt nerfed per se, just not damaging thigns in ways it shouldnt.

Honestly it looks like from this DM update fatal structural damage is probably going to be a lot harder to inflict with all ammo on all aircraft. My prediction is we'll see less wing off scenarios, but HE may come out the winner in higher AOT shots where the AP rounds will have less opportunity to damage longerons. 

We'll just have to play and see!

This would be the best thing, for sure.

I‘m wondering whether the performance problem of the sea map is one of the reasons that 777 still did not start the work on Pcific theater.

:biggrin:

Edited by III./JG5_xshinel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

So finally after 2 patches this means that the days of LW titanium planes, and also "one hit wonder" to Yaks, P47s and other planes are over? 

Good to hear that Devs; we are back on track. I was missing doing PKs to 109s when shooting from their 6 at 50m with BS 12.7mm.

S!

Maybe the Lagg23 mm gold days are over as well. The round should just make a thiny hole now on the wing if not hitting the spar. 

Lets see how the changes look before making conclutions. 

• Upvote 2

Excellent work! Thankyou so much for the fixes and additional content, especially the RAF pilot :salute:. I've been looking forward to meeting him since I first heard about the work in progress.

It's time to go screenie mad! :dance:

1 hour ago, Han said:

In the not-too-distant future, we'll be adding some huge new features for our Early Access titles

do I smell a D9? do I hear English radio calls? anyway, thanks for the fixes!! i wasn't expecting a fix like this until next year, its a welcome surprise! THANKS SO MUCH, DEVS!!!!

Edited by catchthefoxes

I wonder how does this affect 30mm HE cannons? Brief testing right now and it seem to do very little even when hit near the pilot's canopy from the side (strafing stationary aircraft, no pilot kills). Spit9 was already able to fly with a 30mm HE hit to the wing so while update is nice in terms of AP damage, I worry 30mm HE will suffer even worse than it already does right now.

OMG! OMG! OMG! Amazing, and I've just installed my new GPU ASUS Vega 56 8MB OC, what a way to try it out. So many thanks guys.

Excellent work devs!

A great product becomes greater with each update, thank you for your efforts. Will keep supporting the project by buying every new DLC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xJammer said:

I wonder how does this affect 30mm HE cannons? Brief testing right now and it seem to do very little even when hit near the pilot's canopy from the side (strafing stationary aircraft, no pilot kills). Spit9 was already able to fly with a 30mm HE hit to the wing so while update is nice in terms of AP damage, I worry 30mm HE will suffer even worse than it already does right now.

I just tried qmb against P47´s and now P47 is like small version of the B17 in durability 😀

Thank you guys very much! Especially Mission Editor and AI upgrades! 🤘

A bit reserved on the DM though, and I Have to test those DM changes first; they sound always a bit worrying when I remember the times of IL-2 '46  😊. IMHO IL-2's and P-47's have been too easy to shoot down, sure, but I have not seen this problem on for example Yak's though as they feel rock solid planes?  But these are just feelings, not tested facts, and hopefully I don't get jumped because of my feelings.

Edited by Hanu
Typo

2 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I just tried qmb against P47´s and now P47 is like small version of the B17 in durability 😀

Yeah... Damn Jugs like said Hans Baer. 

Thanks for the fantastic update! I love Il-2 the most for its commitment to the "core" experience being enjoyable and functional - it's the primary reason I always recommend this to others over a certain other unnamed sim.

These improvements and tweaks to the engine certainly aren't flashy like a shiny new plane but are far more important to the long-term health of Il-2, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LLv24_Veccu said:

Yep, maybe 109 is made with a thinner paper ;)

Give it a rest. Jason answered your concern directly already.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 2

I'm always happy to see improvements to the AI. I really want to enjoy single player more than I do,  I think the steady AI improvements we're seeing will convince me to give it another shot. Improvements to the WWI AI will probably be the single greatest deciding factor guiding whether or not I purchase FC. 

• Upvote 4

Just tried out the update and:

I have no Kuban map

I've lost all my collector planes aside from the hs-129

Any ideas guys?

Edit: restarted everything and the game propmted me to link steam/non-steam accounts and all is fixed now.

Edited by Eric86
  • Like 1

Short question. How large ist the patch? Launcher said he downloads ~255MB but now is already near 1 GB.

Edited by Agathos_Deimon

Thank for this update! I tried the 110 in QM and allowed a Yak-1 Ser.69 on Ace setting take shots at me. He ran out of ammo and I still had no problem flying, I was not burning, I didn't lose a wing, didnt lose half my tail, but I was leaking badly and had damage in both engines. I was on auto level and he was firing from directly behind. Before, this update I would have been wrecked. This is a FANTASTIC update to the damage model! Thank you team!

Edited by =AWACS=CG_Justin
  • Upvote 1

I rather have this kind of updates to new planes.

Too many wing detachments in the past, planes to easy to destroy, was giving an arcade feel to the sim.

Tested in quick missions, and that has changed for sure.

Great job developers, thanks for the update and and making this sim the best .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Oh no! More editor manual changes!   :biggrin:

2. New control elements added to mission logic (useful for mission designers): "Modifier: Add Val" and "Modifier: Set Val". They can alter the values of other logical elements - Counter and Timer (when used with a Timer object, Set Val can input a negative value to reset and stop a Timer);

5. AA searchlights now can follow Attack Area command which can be used to limit their search area and/or use them as visible beacons (useful for mission designers);

Nice update devs. Thanks!  :salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you devs for the update! A most welcome surprise.

I assume these HE/AP & DM changes also affected the AA guns and their effect on planes, correct?

Edited by StG77_Kondor

2 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Oh no! More editor manual changes!   :biggrin:

2. New control elements added to mission logic (useful for mission designers): "Modifier: Add Val" and "Modifier: Set Val". They can alter the values of other logical elements - Counter and Timer (when used with a Timer object, Set Val can input a negative value to reset and stop a Timer);

5. AA searchlights now can follow Attack Area command which can be used to limit their search area and/or use them as visible beacons (useful for mission designers);

Nice update devs. Thanks!  :salute:

The work of a manual updater is NEVER done in a ever evolving game. 😀

• Haha 2

3. Force Feedback joystick owners who experience stutters can alter the new value in startup.cfg that governs the maximum frequency of FFB effects polling to try to eliminate them (update_freq parameter in [KEY = force_feedback] section can be set to a value from 0.5 Hz to 10 Hz, example: update_freq = 10.0);

Thank you for this. I'll test it out and post results in the Force Feedback Stutter thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ok, tested the update right now. a flight of friendly PE2 AIs vs. K4 MK108 only. Shot 1 by 1.

All shots were made from around 6 of the aircraft

1st Pe2 : shot down after 4 hits, likely due to loss of control

2nd Pe2:  3 hits focused on the left section of the aircraft. right engine stopped. Left engine was doing fine. AI was still able to fly the aircraft

3rd Pe2:  3 hits to left wing,  2 hits to right wing. Both engines running fine. Fuel streaming. AI able to fly the aircraft.

4th Pe2: 3 hits left wing. 1 hit right rudder. 3 hits tail (main hull not tailplane). Aircraft went in, likely due to loss of control. Both engines were still running.

it feels like the 30mm is going to perform very poorly this patch. I have a video of the above test if anyone is interested. And Pe2 is about as tough as b17 😄

Edited by xJammer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this update, lots of great improvements.

One thing however:

45. Pfalz D.IIIa performance corrected;

Oh well.

EDIT: Still close to the values stated in this report.

Edited by ZachariasX

1 hour ago, LLv24_Veccu said:

Why this list then?

13. P-47D-28, Yak-7b and Spitfire Mk.IXe wings made less fragile when damaged;

And to which direction other planes are tuned? More fragile direction or?

The key words here are: "when damaged".
This point refers to "how fragile the wings are after they are already broken"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6