peker

Looking recommendation for pedals for pc combat simulators

I would be grateful to anyone who would recommend me pedal for simulators from personal  experience.
Up to $ 200

Thank you

I don't have them (you asked for personal experience), but VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV are the "cheapest" ($244) rudder pedals worth considering that I'm aware of.

From personal experience I can say it's better to skip low quality products and buy the good ones from the start. You end there anyway, but just spend more if you first try to skimp on quality for price reasons.

• Upvote 2

VKB T-rudder - awesome all metal construction. I think the only drawback is no brakes but you are getting something that will last a long time and the accuracy is superb. Don't get saitek or CH, they just not in the same league (accuracy and durability/longevity). 

• Upvote 1

Options - with "toe brakes" - up $200:

Thrustmaster TFRP - ~$80

CH PRO Pedals - ~$120

Logitech (Saitek) G PRO Flight Rudder Pedals - ~$170 (some places ask absurd prices)

CH have the better construction - sturdy plastic with steel rollers and better quality potentiometer, but use obsolete (1999)  resolution (8 bits) controller.

Thustmaster and Saitek have 10 bits (or more) resolution controller but use low cost/quality potentiometer 

Slight above $200 - option without "toe brakes" but with software that emulate virtual "differential brakes" (like Spifire brakes) in joystick button. FYI - For IL-2:GB this VKB software is not needed because this game have "differential brakes" in any planes - besides "toe brakes" if applicable (e.g. Bf 109, P-40 allow use both systems).

VKB T-Rudder - ~$220 (X-Plane.org store) - metal construction, bearings in pivots, contactless sensor, ARM32 controller, and have distinct operation, move up-down instead back forth.

Edited by Sokol1

VKB T-Rudders are great. Very sturdy, precise, don't use up much space and very comfortable to use.

The lack of toe brakes is not an issue for me.

I used Thrustmaster Pedals for years and had no problems at all.

Suggest you get the Thrustmaster TFPR and upgrade later to one of the more expensive brands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

VKB T-Rudders are great. Very sturdy, precise, don't use up much space and very comfortable to use.

The lack of toe brakes is not an issue for me.

How do you diff breaking? I've thought of getting these and the issue of toe breaks has kept me away.

If I had the cash, I'd go for Crosswinds.

I use the brake lever on my MCG stick and before that i was using a button on the Warthog and Gladiator stick. You just control direction with the rudder pedals. I actually think it's easier than using toe brakes.

I had the Crosswinds before, also great. But i wouldn't go back, unless i had some extra space or room to mount the pedals. That's the main advantage of the VKB pedals, they rest in a small drawer of my desk when i don't use them. The Crosswinds (and basically all other pedals besides the VKB) just use up a lot of space when you don't need them.

2 hours ago, ACG_Woop said:

How do you diff breaking? I've thought of getting these and the issue of toe breaks has kept me away.

Easy to know - without own T-Rudder.

Start IL-2, set a button on your joystick or throttle for "Wheel Brakes".

Then select an Bf 109, Fw 190 or P-40 (planes that IRL have "toe brakes) throttle up a bit for plane move, now press the keys for rudder left or right or twist you stick (if has "twist rudder") and after press the button assigned for "Wheel brakes" . Result: only the wheel in the side you move the rudder is braked.

This is "differential brakes". In Bo'X any plane can use brakes in this way (I guess for support "twist rudder" stick players).

VKB T-Rudder T-Link software is needed for other games, eg. DCS World, CloD... and just for planes that don't have native "differential brakes", e.g. Bf 109, Fw 190, P-51, the software allow brake then in this way.

Edited by Sokol1

The VKB T-Rudders are a game changer. They work especially well with an office chair setup. Also, I find the up-down configuration of the VKB pedals much more intuitive to use, rather than the traditional sliding aircraft pedals.

16 minutes ago, Warpig said:

The VKB T-Rudders are a game changer. They work especially well with an office chair setup. Also, I find the up-down configuration of the VKB pedals much more intuitive to use, rather than the traditional sliding aircraft pedals.

I also have VKB T-Rudders and based on my personal experience with them (dozens of hours) I agree with the above.

Also it is important to realize those are helicopter-rudders which is a great advantage according to this article: https://www.helisimmer.com/reviews/pro-flight-trainer-puma  .Scroll down to "Pedal differences AIRPLANE vs HELICOPTER". Here is the pertinent quote: "Helicopter pedals, for the most part, don’t work with a sliding motion. The precision required to maintain a hover would make those constant fine movements very difficult, especially for extended hovering in gusty wind conditions. Helicopter pedals generally pivot at one point at the bottom, and pedal input is made with the ball of the foot only. So instead of moving your entire foot with leg movement at the knee, the pilot’s heels rest on the cockpit floor, and the majority of the movement is made at the ankle with the heel as the pivot point."

So if you want superior precision, and an ability to pilot some DCS helicopters to boot, go for it.

I fly helicopters for real and the above quote is from a site trying to sell you something. Take it with a large grain of salt. I fly DCS helos with my Crosswind’s just fine, although I do take my heels out of the cups and use toe pressure (on the whole pedal) as described in the article.

Wasted my money on saiteks. Wish I had bought my MFG Crosswinds first time round.

I think toe brakes are a worthy feature to have. Sure some can make do without, but I use them all the time. Differential braking for me is being able to apply say 90% braking pressure on the left wheel, 60% in the right all by using your feet just like in 109s. Not just one wheel at a time, and still having full rudder control.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I fly helicopters for real and the above quote is from a site trying to sell you something. Take it with a large grain of salt. I fly DCS helos with my Crosswind’s just fine, although I do take my heels out of the cups and use toe pressure (on the whole pedal) as described in the article.

That was exactly the point of the article I quoted: in helicopters it is preferable to use your toe (or ball of the foot) to exert pressure instead of sliding your entire feet back and forth. And as a bonus if you have a swiveling chair (like most chairs) it will not wobble because your heels stays on the floor.

And my point is; more than half of our BoX aircraft, almost all of DCS and any civilian flight sim will benefit from toe brakes. You can use aircraft pedals without significant compromise for helos but the opposite is not necessarily true. The choice is up to the consumer but one should go in with their head up and know what each product does and doesn’t offer.

• Like 1

Fair point about toe brakes especially if you are a stickler for perfectly straight takeoffs and landings in which toe-brakes should help, I imagine. I use quick stabs on left-right cursors to emulate toe-brakes.

Absolutely can extol the virtues of VKB T Rudders which I use with VKB Gladiator, its a great combo!

3 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

The choice is up to the consumer but one should go in with their head up and know what each product does and doesn’t offer.

Thing is that in OP asked price range, options are "entry-level" models all with potentiometer (two with low cost/quality models) that  offer "brakes" and one with good quality construction, electronics, sensor (on par with "high end models - BRD, MFG, Slaw, TPR...), but without brakes. It's almost a trade: better rudder control by brakes.

IMO - If brakes ate that important, OP should get CH, despite be "vintage" will last more than other two options together.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

IMO - If brakes ate that important, OP should get CH, despite be "vintage" will last more than other two options together.

Yes, CH will last a decade or more, like mine which my dad bought in 2001 or something, but they are not value for money nowadays. Like not at all. They are not very precise and cost too much for what they offer. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Sokol1 said:

Thing is that in OP asked price range, options are "entry-level" models all with potentiometer (two with low cost/quality models) that  offer "brakes" and one with good quality construction, electronics, sensor (on par with "high end models - BRD, MFG, Slaw, TPR...), but without brakes. It's almost a trade: better rudder control by brakes.

Agree completely. My CH pedals lasted me a dozen years and I only replaced them for increased fidelity. I still sit own my original set and they are perfectly functional. I'm not specifically recommending Crosswinds. I'm just offering the pro's and con's of toe brakes as well as a compare and contrast of how functional anti-torque pedals are in a variety of sims.

I had CH pro pedals, lasted close to 10 years before giving up the ghost. good quality. Only problem is I found the pedals too close together for my taste.

Been using Saitek pro pedals for close to 4 years now. I know some people have had bad expériences with them, but I have never had an issue and find them more comfortable than the CH pedals because of the wider stance. the CH and Saitek seem to be about the same quality, based on my experience.

BTW toe brakes work perfectly on the Saitek.

There are of course more expensive options if you have the budget.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

Invest more into MFGs, it is a killer experience, with the spacers and angle footrests they become second nature even without a precise center point.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, Sgt_Joch said:

I had CH pro pedals, lasted close to 10 years before giving up the ghost. good quality. Only problem is I found the pedals too close together for my taste.

Been using Saitek pro pedals for close to 4 years now. I know some people have had bad expériences with them, but I have never had an issue and find them more comfortable than the CH pedals because of the wider stance. the CH and Saitek seem to be about the same quality, based on my experience.

BTW toe brakes work perfectly on the Saitek.

There are of course more expensive options if you have the budget.

I have and use the MFG's now and they are very good, however I also used the Saitek pro pedals for years and as Sgt Joch experienced they were fault free and accurate and the 

toe brakes are essential for a realistic flight experience.     Recommend the MFG's but also recommend the Saitek Pro Pedals and you can find them on ebay at good prices.

Just did a quick check, prices today with shipping before taxes in Canada:

-CH: $179

-Logitech/Saitek: $207

-MFG: $448

Saitek X CH  - if user have out of warranty issues:

Saitek - Basically rest trow away and buy another, if user are not able to fix without manufacturer support : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160247

CH - Buy from CH (some guys receive free) new pots and replace: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219859

If available is good pay extended warranty for Saitek.  ;)

Edited by Sokol1