9./JG54_GERMANWOLF

BF 109 pilots flying without canopy for best vision

Please I am flying 109 and I have noticed among the German pilots, many ejecting the canopy and thus allowing a better vision, in my view a kind of cheating, since the airplane continues flying normally. I ask that the developers create something that prevents this. let's ruin this wonderful simulator
Thank you.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

since the airplane continues flying normally.

Nope. It has huge amounts of extra drag.

Only fools would choose to do this.

Also what server/timezone are you seeing this on?

I've only seen people make mistakes on takeoff (forgetting to close canopy) or have them shot off during a fight.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

many including my friends

as Tripwire said.... the extra drag makes them pay for such a foolish "cheat". I prefer to keep flying blindly

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

there is no drag

there should be

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262

Drag or no drag, I would rather get no victories than fly a Bf-109 without one of the best looking parts.

2 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

there is no drag

There is quite a bit of drag, just tested it and it reduced top speed at sea level by around 30 km/h.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

Please I am flying 109 and I have noticed among the German pilots, many ejecting the canopy and thus allowing a better vision, in my view a kind of cheating, since the airplane continues flying normally. I ask that the developers create something that prevents this. let's ruin this wonderful simulator
Thank you.

Hi GermanWolf,

1. Nice to see you here.

2. As far as i know there is no extra commando for only ejecting the canopy, like in Cliffs of Dover. Also in DCS?

3. It happens often to me in a 109 and not so often in the FW, that after get hits from the enemy my canopy eject itself and let me fly topless :biggrin:.

4. So i think it DM relatet, and i think also it happens to often.

regards

Little_D

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

there is no drag

Did some tests:

Without the canopy, the G-4   loses ~32kph max level speed on deck in boosted mode

Without the canopy, the G-14 loses ~35kph max level speed on deck in boosted mode

Drag does increase.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If they want to fly like that it's their choice, they eat all that drag anyway and are easier to PK.

I fly with the canopy open on my Mig-3 all the time.

Edited by ACG_Woop
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

Thank you.

Do you and your friends have any personal test data to show that the speed isn't reduced (i.e. any source data to give a reason for this thread to exist at all), considering several people in the thread are stating the opposite and showing numbers?

Edited by Inkompetent

La-5 pilots at least seem to do the same. Except they may close it when the dogfight starts

12 hours ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

in my view a kind of cheating

It's just stupidity.

4 hours ago, ACG_Woop said:

If they want to fly like that it's their choice, they eat all that drag anyway and are easier to PK.

I fly with the canopy open on my Mig-3 all the time.

I agree.

• Upvote 1

It's not cheating the game, visibility is lower in the game than it is in real life. Therefore I find opening the canopy for a bit of extra visibility fine. I open it when looking for contacts, when there's no need to be going fast. I then close it before a dive. It should not be considered cheating and should be kept in the game. Pilots used to open the canopy for take-off and landing anyway...

• Like 1

Just now, ACG_Woop said:

It's not cheating the game, visibility is lower in the game than it is in real life. Therefore I find opening the canopy for a bit of extra visibility fine. I open it when looking for contacts, when there's no need to be going fast. I then close it before a dive. It should not be considered cheating and should be kept in the game. Pilots used to open the canopy for take-off and landing anyway...

You're not flying a 109! 😉

Grt M

17 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Martijnvdm said:

You're not flying a 109! 😉

Grt M

Yes, but 109 pilots should be able to do it even if it rips away from the speed.

1 hour ago, Hanu said:

may close it when the dogfight starts

LA-5 (and some other?) russian a/c's canopy's will slam closed (or open) at high speeds and g's. Apparently many of them didn't have a stronk enough latch! 

Can't say i'd enjoy getting whacked round the back of the head by an il2's canopy slamming shut as I eased into an attack run....

1 hour ago, Hanu said:

La-5 pilots at least seem to do the same. Except they may close it when the dogfight starts

The main reason is b/c if you get your ass shot down in the La-5, and your canopy is closed, you can't open it to bail out if you are going too fast. You will face certain death if this happens to you. The same thing occurs in the LaGG, but that thing will almost never be fast enough to exceed the "can't open the canopy" speed.

Also, it does increase your visibility by a pretty significant margin.

1 hour ago, Hanu said:

Flying with open canopy is historically correct in Lagg 3 or La 5, VVs pilots often flying like that due to the bad pexiglass and the poor ventilation of the cockpit.

And more flying with removed canopy with the Lagg could be a field mod in this game.

812227356_lagg3.PNG.0ba4d38f541f5557ad93137c1d23bfba.PNG

1568051788_lagg32.PNG.bf6c20bb4ca8152496e9c703c2265f17.PNG

1124742673_lagg33.thumb.PNG.0a8f3584be6a3ba0a972f76eccce3de4.PNG

• Upvote 3

On Berluga today my squad mate got hit by the ejecting canopy of 109 he just shot-up: broke his prop.

Damn these Axis secret weapons!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

On Berluga today my squad mate got hit by the ejecting canopy of 109 he just shot-up: broke his prop.

Damn these Axis secret weapons!

lol

15 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

But was it actually possible to close the cockpit manually in full flight in the Lavochkins?

in game on some high speeds you cant close it and it even gets stuck at half closed.

but when you get slower your able to unjam it and close it, i play with open canopy on lagg3s or la5s only because your not able to bail out in most of cases when you have it closed, as you fast pick up speed when you lose wing in dive or flying high.

32 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

But was it actually possible to close the cockpit manually in full flight in the Lavochkins?

Probably not even remotely as easily as we do it in-game when you are up at > 250-300 kph speeds (you still have to keep your plane flying straight while tugging on a heavy-to-close canopy), but then again we also got much too easy operation of trim wheels and such too, so falls into the same category of "really only in a flight sim but not done IRL" (like adjusting trim mid-manoeuvre).

Edited by Inkompetent

Now that this has been brought up, hmm, yeah, I recall seeing this with a quick combat scenario I had set up in order to get some screenshots. As I cycled the camera through a bunch of AI ME-109’s I noticed one flying along with no canopy at all, which I thought meant an impending bailout, but didn’t occur. Watched it for a bit longer before cycling to next plane, and no bailout, at least not within the timeframe I was watching it. May go back and see for fun exactly what transpired if I can find the video.

Sorry as this isn’t exactly what the OP was posting about as this was an AI controlled plane and not player controlled, but still interesting.

If i have no ammo and i have a close 6 about to kill me    i pop the canopy in the hope it hits them.    its worked just once or twice out of 200 attempts.  in our squad its called the Yorkshire salute. :dance:    Its my special move.:joy:

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

If i have no ammo and i have a close 6 about to kill me    i pop the canopy in the hope it hits them.    its worked just once or twice out of 200 attempts.  in our squad its called the Yorkshire salute. :dance:    Its my special move.:joy:

That's a pretty slick move actually. I'll have to remember that.

36 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

It's freaking hilarious seeing that canopy comming towards your plane, especially in VR as you try to physically duck as it almost impacts.

:scare:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

5 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Was that you? Darn you!!!

15 hours ago, 1./JG2_Little_D said:

Hi GermanWolf,

1. Nice to see you here.

2. As far as i know there is no extra commando for only ejecting the canopy, like in Cliffs of Dover. Also in DCS?

3. It happens often to me in a 109 and not so often in the FW, that after get hits from the enemy my canopy eject itself and let me fly topless :biggrin:.

4. So i think it DM relatet, and i think also it happens to often.

regards

Little_D

I'd need to test it to figure out exactly the sequence of pushing random commands, but I believe pushing eject while powered off and parked will queue the canopy to fall off when you turn on the engine, but the pilot won't bail out. 

You can also unlock the landing gear without the engine running and be able to relock it without incident, though doing that with the engine running is more humorous. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, 9./JG54_GermanWolf said:

There has to be a way to stop it urgently! It's shameful really ...

stop it yourself by shooting them down

What even is this thread. 

Drag is modeled.
I've never seen a pilot voluntarily do this on a serious server, perhaps it happens on Berloga but even then there's a very hefty performance price.
In the russian planes it is often more feasible, but also historically correct and again - drag is modelled. Now, we've all accidentally taken off with our canopies open a few times though...

17 hours ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

So is Canopy poping the Pommel throwing of WW2 Air Combat? Because it sure seems to end your Opponent Rightly.

S!

While flying IL-2 had always the canopy open. A lot better view. Has no impact on speed whatsoever, neither does radiator settings. Maximum effect 5km/h or less. Someone posted a russian picture of how much speed loss you get in a La-5 if various parts are open etc. Compare to what you get in game and easy to see the difference. 

1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

While flying IL-2 had always the canopy open. A lot better view. Has no impact on speed whatsoever, neither does radiator settings. Maximum effect 5km/h or less. Someone posted a russian picture of how much speed loss you get in a La-5 if various parts are open etc. Compare to what you get in game and easy to see the difference. 

I think you should notice that you also take off several hundred kilos of armor as well.

Edited by Frenchy56

1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Erm, you ran those tests yourself? If you forget to close the cockpit side of the Ishak you also lose about 15-20 kph. All open in the La-5 you go at least 30 kph slower.

• Thanks 1