VR Seat position - can you adjust it in VR?

major_burns

Right now, I have to bring the game up in Non-VR and adjust the seat position then restart the game in VR to be sure its okay.  Is there any hope that, one day soon, the adjustment could be made without leaving VR?

BroGrimm1tkcamp

I believe you would only have to do this once for each plane as needed. I think it was F10 to save it as the default view thereafter.

I adjusted the p-40 view once and saved it to my default. Then in VR it has been OK since

major_burns

I had them set, but somehow my Spad13 seat position got lowered so I could hardly see over the dash.

I would just be nice to be able to do is, since you can do it in non-VR.

Is there a better place to post this to let the devs know?

There's a key you can bind to center VR view, move around and use that to get your head position where you want it.

major_burns

Then if you hit center again during the flight your screwed up again.

Not the solution.  Need to move center point, as in non-vr, without having to leave VR.

You can do this, has to be done on the monitor so might be a little trial and error to get it just right.

Start the game in 2d.

From the manual:

Adjusting the default head position:
1. Ensure any head tracking software (such as TrackIR) is disabled.
2. Make sure you cockpit view is centered by pressing the numpad 5 key (Pilot head: snap position center).
3. Adjust your camera view to the left and to the right with the Delete (Move pilot head left) and the End keys (Move pilot head right), respectively.
4. Adjust your camera view forward and backward with the Insert (Move pilot head forward) and the Home keys (Move pilot head backward), respectively.
5. Adjust your camera view up and down with the Page Up (Move pilot head up) and the Page Down keys (Move pilot head down), respectively.
6. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key (Save current corrections in head snap position). If at any time before this step you want to revert to the default head position, press the numpad 5 key.

Afterwards load it up in VR and see how it works for you, if needed to adjust more  load it back up in 2d and make adjustments as above.

Once you have it where you want it and saved for that plane, it will start from that position until you change it again.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
II/JG17_HerrMurf

DB has it right, in the post above. You only leave VR for the initial setup. It's what we have to do with TiR as well. Once it's set, it's set. It's pretty simple really.

22 minutes ago, major_burns said:

Again...this requires leaving vr mode.  Not what I want to do.

Correct but once it is done to one's liking it is done.

Well worth the effort imho.

No way to do this in VR.

Only thing you can do in VR is physically move yourself around to try and get it where you want and hit re-center VR view.

This however would have to be done each time get into cockpit.

I am not sure if you are ok with this but I describe mi procedure:

-Center with Numpad 5.

-Put your head where you want trying maintain looking forward. I recomend in german planes with non centered cross move your head when the cross is aligned with right eye.

-Now press F10 for save the position.

-For ensure you are ok look forward with the relaxed head and hit Numpad 5 again.

When you hit F10 the game saves this position as default for that plane only. You need do this every plane in game.

If the position is too forced you can make this procedure in steps. If you don't like this position in 2D mode, repeat again when are in 2D mode and again in VR mode.

Sorry for my bad english.

Edited because I wrote "left eye" when I mean "right eye", sorry.

Edited by Siegfried
  • Like 2
major_burns

I already know how to do it without VR.  I've done it.  My setting changed. I've redone it.  I know it can be done in VR as P3D flight sim does it.  I'm not asking How to do it, only if the devs will Ever do it in Vr.

It would be handy!  Again, I know how to do it.  I was making a suggestion for an improvement.

• Upvote 1
1PL-Husar-1Esk
2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

DB has it right, in the post above. You only leave VR for the initial setup. It's what we have to do with TiR as well. Once it's set, it's set. It's pretty simple really.

You don't have to turn off TiR to adjust any view, for  default  center view just hold key pad number 5 when using other keys (as dburne said). Then press f10 and realise key pad 5.

Muff_Huggar

Right now, I like being able to readjust my VR position in-game. I don't have a flight/driving rig. I sit in a standard office chair. The chair swivels and that's a problem because it becomes very easy for me to get misaligned when I'm turning to look over my shoulder,  etc. My mapped key is in an area of my T16000M that doesn't get pressed accidentally. So I'm happy with the way it works now and I would be unhappy if they changed it.

JonRedcorn

The guys just wondering if the devs will ever give us the ability to change our head position in game while in VR. Which I am also wondering.

=EXPEND=Tripwire

Yes. Simple feature that would make VR quality of life a bit more improved.

Each time a new plane is released, it's the same thing. Luckily I can just cut n paste 190 and 109 seat positions via text editor rather than the trial and error of adjusting without VR running and back.

Muff_Huggar

I guess I just don't understand. I can freely adjust my head position in VR. I do it all the time. If I'm too far back in the seat, I lean back and hit the button and it moves me closer. If I'm too far to one side, I lean to that side and press the center button. If I'm kind of askew in cockpit, I look in the direction I want to be straight ahead and press the button. If I'm too high or low, I scrunch down or sit tall  in my chair and press the button. Maybe it's because I'm on Windows MR, but I can change my position any time I want to any position I want just by positioning myself and pressing the recenter button. I don't see how it could be better or easier.

=EXPEND=Tripwire
3 hours ago, Muff_Huggar said:

I guess I just don't understand.

Imaging sitting normally and then just pressing the centre button once and instantly your head is exactly where it should be in the cockpit. We can set that position only in non VR mode or via text editor.

By default the head positions are offset in German planes to suit our 'cyclops' pancake friends. in VR, you want your head positioned correctly in the centre of the plane.

• Upvote 2
Soilworker

I didn't know you could do that, can't wait to go home and set up all the German planes! 

(I guess I probably should have known from RoF+TIR...)

JonRedcorn
5 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Imaging sitting normally and then just pressing the centre button once and instantly your head is exactly where it should be in the cockpit. We can set that position only in non VR mode or via text editor.

By default the head positions are offset in German planes to suit our 'cyclops' pancake friends. in VR, you want your head positioned correctly in the centre of the plane.

Yeah I had them all setup but some got messed up with the update and I just defaulted them all, the german planes are indeed a nuisance. But IMO they worked on a bunch of the VR limits which made moving around in the cockpit much less troublesome. The new planes have amazing VR limits, I can get right up on the gun sight in the p-47 or the kurfurst. 

=EXPEND=Tripwire

I think there is one line you can safely copy and paste for most of the 109 variants (at least for the Gustavs). Gets you close enough. Saves going through each.

3 minutes ago, 392FS_Jred said:

The new planes have amazing VR limits, I can get right up on the gun sight in the p-47 or the kurfurst

Interesting. That was always a pet peeve of mine. I'll try it again.

JonRedcorn
2 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I think there is one line you can safely copy and paste for most of the 109 variants (at least for the Gustavs). Gets you close enough. Saves going through each.

Interesting. That was always a pet peeve of mine. I'll try it again.

I can also tell they adjusted some of the older planes, the VR limits compared to say two patches ago are night and day. The noise from bumping into the canopy seems to be pretty much gone. Which honestly was one of the bigger annoyances.

R3animate

You can. Here's how I do it.

1. Line up where you want to be. I usually line up the gunsight to be centered over my right eye.

2. Press F10. This saves it, if you look carefully you'll notice the game "shift" around you.

3. Sit back in your chair comfortably and press the VR RECENTER button.

When you do the 3rd step, you'll notice it's back where you centered.

• Upvote 1
=EXPEND=Tripwire
1 hour ago, R3animate said:

1. Line up where you want to be. I usually line up the gunsight to be centered over my right eye.

2. Press F10. This saves it, if you look carefully you'll notice the game "shift" around you.

Wow, I never saw anything in the patch notes. Just tried it and it seems to work in VR.  This never used to be the case.

There is an audible 'boop' sound when you do it. Same for everyone else?

1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Wow, I never saw anything in the patch notes. Just tried it and it seems to work in VR.  This never used to be the case.

There is an audible 'boop' sound when you do it. Same for everyone else?

Yeah me neither, used to be you certainly could not do that in VR. Will have to check it out.

I have a button set on my HOTAS to VR view reset. Now if i want to move the viewpoint forward, I lean back a little and press it. Voila, fixed. No need to take off the HMD or anything. Easy.

21 hours ago, dburne said:

You can do this, has to be done on the monitor so might be a little trial and error to get it just right.

Start the game in 2d.

From the manual:

Adjusting the default head position:
1. Ensure any head tracking software (such as TrackIR) is disabled.
2. Make sure you cockpit view is centered by pressing the numpad 5 key (Pilot head: snap position center).
3. Adjust your camera view to the left and to the right with the Delete (Move pilot head left) and the End keys (Move pilot head right), respectively.
4. Adjust your camera view forward and backward with the Insert (Move pilot head forward) and the Home keys (Move pilot head backward), respectively.
5. Adjust your camera view up and down with the Page Up (Move pilot head up) and the Page Down keys (Move pilot head down), respectively.
6. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key (Save current corrections in head snap position). If at any time before this step you want to revert to the default head position, press the numpad 5 key.

Afterwards load it up in VR and see how it works for you, if needed to adjust more  load it back up in 2d and make adjustments as above.

Once you have it where you want it and saved for that plane, it will start from that position until you change it again.

Didn`t know about the F10 key trick. I was always moving around to get the best spot in the German birds, thanks.

new to VR and IL2, struggling with this issue...

I'm having problems remapping keys to my Warthog stick. Numpad 5 does exactly what I expect/want but when blind to the real world in VR I can't find my keyboard [much less Numpad 5]. 😉 

when I try to bind different buttons to [head: snap center] nothing works. I thought it was my stick but I can't bind it to anything on my mouse either.

I must be doing something wrong. in the 3 columns, do I have to delete Numpad 5 and replace it? I assume I can have Numpad 5 AND 2 other buttons do the same thing... is this correct?

1_Robert_
19 hours ago, major_burns said:

I'm not talking TIR.  VR.

LOl...this thread didn't go the way you hoped it would -did it? :)

edit** Good question BTW

Edited by 1_Robert_VR
22 minutes ago, jumento said:

new to VR and IL2, struggling with this issue...

I'm having problems remapping keys to my Warthog stick. Numpad 5 does exactly what I expect/want but when blind to the real world in VR I can't find my keyboard [much less Numpad 5]. 😉 

when I try to bind different buttons to [head: snap center] nothing works. I thought it was my stick but I can't bind it to anything on my mouse either.

I must be doing something wrong. in the 3 columns, do I have to delete Numpad 5 and replace it? I assume I can have Numpad 5 AND 2 other buttons do the same thing... is this correct?

The key mapping is in Settings > Key Mapping > Pilot head control tab > Default VR view.

Bind that to a button on your HOTAS

Edited by pfrances
2 minutes ago, pfrances said:

The key mapping is in Settings > Key Mapping > Pilot head control tab > Default VR view.

Bind that to a button on your HOTAS

I'll try that, thanks! 

Why couldn't I bind [head: snap center] to anything on my HOTAS or mouse??? is there something about only certain keys working in VR? since Numpad 5 worked in VR, it seems like I should be able to change that to something/anything else... right?

6 minutes ago, jumento said:

I'll try that, thanks! 

Why couldn't I bind [head: snap center] to anything on my HOTAS or mouse??? is there something about only certain keys working in VR? since Numpad 5 worked in VR, it seems like I should be able to change that to something/anything else... right?

Head snap and such are commands to change your view when using a flat screen. The VR head tracking supersedes that control so they aren't really needed. Other games like Elite Dangerous do the same thing. When in VR, the view controls are disabled. When flat-screening, they work.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Head snap and such are commands to change your view when using a flat screen. The VR head tracking supersedes that control so they aren't really needed. Other games like Elite Dangerous do the same thing. When in VR, the view controls are disabled. When flat-screening, they work.

got it, thanks... it's working great now!

off topic: how do you force quit IL2? there have been a couple times that I've needed to that and the mac keyboard commands don't work. [I didn't really try them – maybe I should have!]

JonRedcorn
8 hours ago, R3animate said:

Say what now?!

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

It was always possible before using Shift+F10, even in VR. No 2D mode needed. Now it seems to work by just using F10. Great!  👍

I can't believe people didn't know this. Glad it's becoming more common knowledge.

1 hour ago, major_burns said:

Thanks for the info!  Just curious, is it documented anywhere?

No, apparently was a well kept secret.

• 2 years later...