Sign in to follow this  
jokkmccarthy

Oculus Rift - Vive - VR. -basic questions

Ive been digging through the forum and find a ton of technical detail. My questions are more basic....

With  Playstation vr as my sole baseline, is the experience better?

On the PS4VR, I found what is called screen door effect. Is this also the case with the rift, vive or vive pro?  What I experienced was not clear, it was dirty, low contrast looking. Not bright saturated colors like the utube vids. For that matter is it even close to the utube screen capture videos.

I was quickly really sweaty and fogged up on the PS4vr headset. In short order I need to remove the headset to see through the fogging.

I have 20/20 vision and need readers to see close. Do they have a diopter adjustment like a dslr?

I have a decent pc, i7. 1080Ti, ssd, plenty of dram., cooling,   I'm playing IL2 on a monitor with max settings and it's smooth on a monitor (even OK on a 4k).

While the bucks are important, is the higher resolution vive pro a better experience?

I'm currently using track ir

Thanks in advance

Bob

Edited by JG26jokkmccarthy
Typo

I think even with the Rift or Vive, you would see a nice improvement in your VR experience over PS4VR.

Personally I don't think the considerably higher cost of the Vive Pro would be worth it. 

Some like the Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey +, a WMR headset.  Odyssey and Vive Pro run same resolution.  Some pretty mixed reports on it I have seen.

I love my Rift setup, tracking is fantastic and it works quite well for me day in and day out. I also though very much enjoy some other Rift games. The 

Touch Controllers are fantastic in some of those other games.

Yes SDE exists in all the devices, Samsung Odyssey + seems to have mitigated it fairly well some folks say. 

Personally for me, I never really notice it as I am focused on the world beyond the SDE.

I also need reading glasses up close for smaller print, but do not really have an issue with the Rift I can easily see what I need to as everything is like full size.

Thanks, I'm planning to jump over to the vr side. Seems like what is out there s coming up on a replacement cycle, maybe not.

I can not find a store that will let me demo. Best buy carries OR locally but I have to purchase only.

I'm assuming there is better ventilation as the eye area fogging seemed a problem on the PS4vr my son has

Bob

4 minutes ago, JG26jokkmccarthy said:

Thanks, I planning to jump over to the vr side. Seems like what is out there s coming up on a replacement cycle, maybe not.

I can not find a store that will let me demo. Best buy carries OR locally but I have to purchase only.

I'm assuming there is better ventilation as the eye area fogging seemed a problem on the PS4vr my son has

Bob

I have never had a problem with fogging  with my Rift.

I do have a well air conditioned room also.

Proper air conditioning in summer time is a must for the Rift. I guess this goes for all VR devices.

I live in Australia, only had fogging if it's really cold (relatively speaking haha) and I put the headset on and it's not warmed up (1 minute) before I get into a really active game.

HTC Vive 

I also tested the PSVR and IMHO the Rift experience is a bit superior in general.

At the current Rift prices you shouldn´t hesitate too much.

My experience with the VivePro was awful (I wrote in this forum), overall Rift won over VivePro (without mod lenses).

If you have a 20/20 you are ok, the focused image plane is at 2 meters.

I never had fog in the Rift playing IL-2

BTW, I you are already playing at monitor in 2K or 4K, you will find resolution at the Rift a bit lower. Here some images:

Edited by chiliwili69

I understand there is a reduction in sharpness. I'm hoping the immersion is a reasonable offset.

I've started in flights sims in the 80's with air warrior. We were 4 bit Grey scale in a 2"x3" window on a Mac SE.  I was a founder of ISE, developer of Warbirds. I'm still playing Aces High on occasion. 

I'm back to flight Sims after a long layoff. I'm not jelling with the IR. I still do better with the joystick hat. I'm using a 32" monitor and running it at less than 4k for uber smoothness.

I think I'm going to get an OR. Santa now has it on the list.

I'm not looking for a photo realistic vr experience. I had huge fun in the early days on terrible display setups. I was transported into the game in a way that current games fail at. Too much eye candy and the brain candy seems diminished.

I was using the PS4vr with a racing game, the screen door effect dimished the hitting of the corner apex just right. Flight Sims are different. More of an overall awareness than a small area of concentration. Spotting the enema might be the only point of disadvantage.

Emeny aircraft went from 1 pixel to 4 on the airwarrier game in the beginning. One never got a clear image of the opponent. Didn't matter, everyone was in the same boat.

Bob

• Like 1

Sounds like the Rift might be right up your alley.

I could not play the game now without it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JG26jokkmccarthy said:

I understand there is a reduction in sharpness. I'm hoping the immersion is a reasonable offset.

I've started in flights in in the 80's with air warrior. We were 4 bit Grey scale in a 2"x3" window on a Mac SE.  I was a founder of ISE, developer of Warbirds. I'm still playing Aces High on occasion. 

I'm back to flight Sims after a long layoff. I'm not jelling with the IR. I still do better with the joystick hat. I'm using a 32" monitor and running it at less than 4k for uber smoothness.

I think I'm going to get an OR. Santa now has it on the list.

I'm not looking for a photo realistic vr experience. I had huge fun in the early days on terrible display setups. I was transported into the game in a way that current games fail at. Too much eye candy and the brain candy seems diminished.

I was using the PS4vr with a racing game, the screen door effect dimished the hitting of the corner apex just right. Flight Sims are different. More of an overall awareness than a small area of concentration. Spotting the enema might be the only point of disadvantage.

Emeny aircraft went from 1 pixel to 4 on the airwarrier game in the beginning. One never got a clear image of the opponent. Didn't matter, everyone was in the same boat.

Bob

Based on this probably you will not be disappointed with VR. I had a DK2 then the CV1 and was disappointed in both initially because of the resolution and SDE. You get used to it quickly and now I would never go back to 2D for simulators.

Spotting is not a disadvantage in VR. If you do not use too much Supersampling, spotting is probably better in VR than on high res monitors. The pixels are simply closer to your eyes thus appear bigger. I often spot distant planes easier than my team mates on high res monitors when the sky is the background. With land as background spotting is probably not easier but probably not worse either.

It's identification that is much harder in VR, but with 3dMigoto mod it is possible to increase zoom level to overcome this.

I'm close to getting this under way. I've kept up with the Samsung O+ discussion and it sounds like a upgrade over the rift. I only play sims seated so I'm not of the belief the tracking is critical for my use. I'm assuming inside/out tracking works fine

I spent quite a bit of time playing PS4VR recently and the sde and lower resolution was not so off putting. I did not experience the sweating issue this time. Very likely was a warm weather issue (I live in Texas!).

Now its sorting the PC. I know nothing about overclocking.

And I now need to acquire a better joystick/throttle setup. W/o a keyboard I need the ability to remap more keys. My old MS sidewinder has to go.

onward and upward,

bob

Going through over clocking to get the system in shape for the O+.

What does this mean

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.2GHz)"

Is it a 3.6 or a 4.2 and is there a software switch to engage turbo?

The Alienware software is useless. A i7 7700 (without K) can not be over locked is my understanfing..

Added note:  Checked bios, states 3.6 and overclocking is disabled. So what is 4.2?

Bob

13 hours ago, JG26jokkmccarthy said:

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.2GHz)"

Is it a 3.6 or a 4.2 and is there a software switch to engage turbo?

The Alienware software is useless. A i7 7700 (without K) can not be over locked is my understanfing..

Added note:  Checked bios, states 3.6 and overclocking is disabled. So what is 4.2?

If you have the i7-7700 CPU (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7700+%40+3.60GHz&id=2905

then it means that 3.6 is your base frequency.

All intel CPU with Turboboost enabled in BIOS can increase the freq until the max turbo freq (4.2 in this case).

Turboost is an intel tech which increase the freq depending on the load.

This is not considered overclocking.

Overclocking is going beyond the max turbo freq. this is only possible with the ending "K" or "X" processors.

Thanks. I'm curious, is there another processer that's plug and play that will increase performance in any significant way without changing motherboard.?

Its and Alienware  R6 with these basic specs.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.2GHz

No FGA

Intel Wireless 3165AC Card [802.11AC + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1]

8x DVD+/-RW 9.5mm ODD

256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

16GB DDR4 2400MHz

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Regulatory Label for 850W

850W PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis

Its fine with a 32 4k monitor, but I'm heading for VR.

Appreciate any help you can offer. 

Bob

Back to the original topic. 

I'm getting 60+ fps in 4k. Im assuming it should be ok for the O+

Chiliwili.

Thanks I'll look into it.

muchas gracias

Bob

OK Santa brought me a Gift card for enough to buy either the Ruff or the Odyssey+.

Thanks santa.

I ran both the rift and the steam vr performance apps. My computer passed both benchmarks with an excellent score. Steam vr was at top of bar chart.

My original plan was to buy the Odyssey but it's not in stock, the rift is.

If anyone has experienced both, what would you recommend? Is there a noticeable resolution improvement? My sense is the rift has better fit unless I'm one of the lucky ones. I was hoping to get this underway. Oh well...

I've not been able to try either as my local stocking store doesn't allow a demo.

Bob

41 minutes ago, JG26jokkmccarthy said:

OK Santa brought me a Gift card for enough to buy either the Ruff or the Odyssey+.

Thanks santa.

I ran both the rift and the steam vr performance apps. My computer passed both benchmarks with an excellent score. Steam vr was at top of bar chart.

My original plan was to buy the Odyssey but it's not in stock, the rift is.

If anyone has experienced both, what would you recommend? Is there a noticeable resolution improvement? My sense is the rift has better fit unless I'm one of the lucky ones. I was hoping to get this underway. Oh well...

I've not been able to try either as my local stocking store doesn't allow a demo.

Bob

There will likely be a new higher res version of the rift in 2019, but it`s unlikely you`ll wait. I have the rift myself and will never fly again without VR, or even use the likes of Assetto Corsa etc. There are a number of reviews online vis-à-vis the rift and the odyssey +. I was tempted to switch to the SO+ even to the extent of importing it into Europe from the U.S attracting extra import taxes etc. but I didn`t due to some concerns re comfort, the size of the sweet spot and possible blurriness. At this stage I`ll hold for the next rift and it`s European release. But then again I have the current rift to play with. All I can say for sure is that you will not regret for one minute switching to VR for your sims. Hopefully next gen arrives sooner rather than later, and you need a good pc for it.

(Edit, you have a decent setup)

On 12/25/2018 at 3:55 AM, Soilworker said:

What I do against my Rift lenses steaming up is to set a fan blowing on me at low speed. 

If it does steam up it`s because the lens are cold, try running the HMD for a few minutes before you use them to come to temp and it`s not an issue. Of course if you are doing some strenuous activity in VR and start sweating than you may have a problem. Personally I have no problems.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:48 PM, chiliwili69 said:

Hey, your 7700 uses the socket LGA 1151 which is the same used by 8700K or 8086K.

If I were you I would sell your 7700 via ebay (or other) and will acquire a delided 8086K, which is the king of overclocking.

In spain you can buy it in https://www.coolmod.com/procesador-intel-socket-1151

860 euro for the cpu alone!

Christ on a bike, you`d never see the return in performance increase for anything like that investment.

Edited by Wulfen

Thanks Wulfen

The only reference to an improved OR is a version called a Quest. It's a stand alone not PC driven. 

I think occulus is a fine company, is there something else(

On 12/27/2018 at 4:34 PM, Wulfen said:

860 euro for the cpu alone!

Christ on a bike, you`d never see the return in performance increase for anything like that investment.

This is for the delidded 8086K at 5.3 GHz with warranty. Yes, too much money!

If I would upgrade I would pick the i5-9600K for 290€

On 12/28/2018 at 4:17 AM, JG26jokkmccarthy said:

Thanks Wulfen

The only reference to an improved OR is a version called a Quest. It's a stand alone not PC driven. 

I think occulus is a fine company, is there something else(

A "Rift S'', possibly with better resolution. Not a major upgrade but who knows. There is a lot of speculation atm, and oculus are tight lipped on the issue. It all depends on the price and what`s on offer. I can`t fault the rift, even though the right earphone packed in after 18 months. I use wireless headphones, and the rift itself is still going strong. If it was 4k I`d be quiet happy, an increased FOV would be icing on the cake.

3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

This is for the delidded 8086K at 5.3 GHz with warranty. Yes, too much money!

If I would upgrade I would pick the i5-9600K for 290€

I think there is more longevity in the i7`s. I have my 4790k OCèd to 4.6ghz and now it`s going into it`s fifth year. I`ll get another few years yet out of it. If needs be I`ll increase the voltage and push for 5ghz went it becomes disposable and I have a good replacement in the wings.

Edited by Wulfen

Well, after Christmas all the local stores were out of stock. I elected to order the Odyssey+. I went back and forth between it and the rift, but in the end I elected to do the Samsung.

I'll have it next week.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob

• Like 1

Having recently changed from Riff to Odyssey+ I think you made the right decision.

While you wait download Steam for mixed reality - https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

And Windows Mixed Reality Portal - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mixed-reality-portal/9ng1h8b3zc7m?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

When your headset arrives just plug it in and it will begin the set-up. No need for sensors or the controllers. Press Win+Y to switch control of mouse between desktop and headset if needed.

Enjoy