WWSitttingDuck

Village Lights

Didn't think this would actually work.

From my ROF scripts.gtp in luascripts\worldobjects\mapemitters i pulled static_light_lrg, _med, and _small

From my ROF graphics7.gtp in effects\surf I pulled light_dummy_big, _med, and _small

I put the files into  corresponding folders I create in my IL2 install.

Treated like any other effect in mission builder.  Personally thought the large light was little too big for anything,.

Tried it out on a MP mission hosted from my computer, so can not say or not if these files have to be on everyones computer.  Have a feeling if they are not on a player joinings system, they will be able to join, just will not see the effect, but not totally sure.  Also have no idea how much impact these effects have on game play.  We did use them extensively in ROF, so going to assume the answer would be no.

Seeing as how these ROF files work fine in BoX, would like to see them start being included in BoX, so they can be used.

If I knew for sure it was ok to make the files available, I would have, but I do not know if it is ok, so please do not ask me for them.

village lights.jpg

Edited by WWSitttingDuck
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

If I knew for sure it was ok to make the files available, I would have, but I do not know if it is ok, so please do not ask me for them.

Er....this is the Mods section of the forum that Jason created so people could share mods.  Congratulations!  You have created an interesting mod.:salute:

I'm not sure I see a problem......

Not actually sure if I would call it a mod...just stock ROF files put into BoX. 

Would love to see if someone could get ROF dummy explosions to work in BoX.  I used them alot in ROF missions.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:21 PM, WWSitttingDuck said:

Would love to see if someone could get ROF dummy explosions to work in BoX.  I used them alot in ROF missions.

Don't we have artillery falling on Stalingrad?    I'm sure we do.  The mechanic is definitely in BoX.

Dummy Explosions in ROF was an effect, like village smoke, and fire.  You could "trigger" a dummy explosion in an area at a specific time with it.  Eye Candy I guess would be the best word for it.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, WWSitttingDuck said:

Many of them already..

Like 1/3 of the game :D

I get this unusual "Flash" of light around the ground where the effect was placed.  This is all before the explosion is triggered. 

Do you get the same thing? and if so, how did you get around it.?

On 12/3/2018 at 10:05 PM, WWSitttingDuck said:

Didn't think this would actually work.

It certainly wouldn't have worked for anyone there at that time to not follow the blackout.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:54 AM, WWSitttingDuck said:

Dummy Explosions in ROF was an effect, like village smoke, and fire.  You could "trigger" a dummy explosion in an area at a specific time with it.  Eye Candy I guess would be the best word for it.

I need this.

I'll get everything I used together for you to test.   Only problem I see is in a Multi player mission, the user is downloading from the server, and additional files that are needed can put in their proper directories.  In a single player mission, the user is just downloading the mission files, and they go into the missions folder.  I think something like this can work if all the effects files are inside the mission folder, but would be something that needed to be tested.

I think your best bet would be to try and get the dev's to take the ROF effects files that already exist, and include them in a BoX update.   Have them include the village lights too!

I cant seem to find those files in my ROF folders. Dunno if it’s because it’s the new version or maybe the files are hidden. Could you put them in a zip so I can download or maybe I’m missing something

NEVERMIND 😶 I found them

Edited by rowdyb00t

I tried to fly over Rhineland map at night, there is no lights there even above a big city. I hope this can be release by official or user mod, whatever.
or maybe Deferred Shading can solve many things, include city/village lights.

1 hour ago, Oyster_KAI said:

I tried to fly over Rhineland map at night, there is no lights there even above a big city. I hope this can be release by official or user mod, whatever.
or maybe Deferred Shading can solve many things, include city/village lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(wartime)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 5:57 PM, Blitzen said:

Use JSGME to activate this Mod?

Yes drop into mods folder ; )

Edit: didn’t realize this is to use with the ME :blush:

Edited by rowdyb00t

I’ve only tried it in FC and saw no lights in Arras and yes they may have had a black out in 1917,W years old I see lights in the smaller towns in the Araas map or no?

21 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes I know lights from houses is absolute not realistic in WW2, but count this more as an guilty pleasure.  😇

19 hours ago, LizLemon said:

@LizLemon, is this only for BoBpl or do you have also the lights for BoK my favorite map. 

Edited by Dutch2

Great mod !  I've used it in a few missions. Place the med light inside a rounded brown hanger and the light shines through the windows for a great effect. Great mod, really !  Thanks LizLemon.

56 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

Great mod !  I've used it in a few missions. Place the med light inside a rounded brown hanger and the light shines through the windows for a great effect. Great mod, really !  Thanks LizLemon.

I guess I don’t fully understand this mod.Does it have to be designed into a new mission or can it somehow be used in older existing missions and/or campaigns?

Just now, Deacon352nd said:

You would need to open an older mission in the ME and then add it to whatever or wherever you want.

Forgive me- is there a readme somewhere or could you PM me & walk me through how to do so? I’d love to see this in towns in existing missions in Flying Circus & elsewhere like Tank Crew. Many thanks!

On 3/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, Blitzen said:

Use JSGME to activate this Mod?

Not necessary.  This is not a mod.  A mod is something that changes something that is already in the game.  These files are not in the game (yet)

which is great, because that means they work in mods on, or mods off....

If you know how to open the ME to make a mission or adjust a mission you are working on, then you just add the village lights like adding another effect or object. If you don't know how to use the ME, then download and read Jim's mission editor manual. But be patient, mission making takes time and experience along with a lot of trial and error.