ICDP

Bf109-K4 (Battle of Bodenplatte) Template removed - REDUNDANT

Template, skins and normalmap updated to version 5.

• Fixed rubber seal on cowl
  • Fixed cowl horizontal panel lines to more accurate position
  • Fixed stencils (numbering on fuselage sections.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

I just noticed the default K4 template and skins do not have details on the ailerons.  Did the K4 have new non fabric ailerons with no surface details?  I would assume not and have already added these details as per the G14.  If required I can upload fixed downloads with the aileron details.

I have updated the downloads to all .zip files with aileron details.  These details are missing on the default skins and normalmap as well but I have decided to add them to my 4k versions.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey ICDP, 

I have been digging around a little to find out a bit more about the construction of the late war control surfaces. 

From what I can find, there were both metal and wooden rudders on late war planes. (new larger rudder) But exactly how these wooden control surfaces were constructed and what the visual differences are is a mystery to me. (wooden rudders were heavier though end required a counterbalance weight in the nose)

As with all late war stuff, too much variation and not enough information. 

And the other control surfaces (ailerons and elevator), nothing found whatsoever. Have yet to come across anything that mentions or shows a wooden construction for these parts.

The one thing that I can say for sure is that the G-6 we have in the game is missing its fabric construction detail in the control surfaces. Which should be like the earlier 109's.

This might help a bit.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/structures/tails/talltail.htm

You might have some more luck finding some more info on other 109 stuff from the main website of that article.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Thanks for the info BHH.  I have looked at my own Bf109-K4 resources and found nothing that would indicate new ailerons.  So it looks like it's just a simple mistake on the part of the original artist, but I will cut him (or her) some slack... after-all I am on version 6 of this template because of the "mistakes" I have made. 😄

Edited by ICDP

Forgive the somewhat selfish request but if someone could convert the template so it works better with GIMP I would genuinely really appreciate it. I've only ever made one aircraft skin but I would love to make some for IL2 and share them with the community. Here's some pictures of what to expect. 

GtH90o7.thumb.jpg.41d15b33e977f2d5f440186e5ad32008.jpg7nyxG9n.thumb.png.fe5fdd163727e99ea045823690f57ea5.png

Edited by Salaryman_man
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Salaryman_man, 

You could try asking a skinner directly, however it's up to them and their commitments in real life :salute:.

Edited by FurphyForum

On 1/1/2019 at 3:19 AM, Salaryman_man said:

Forgive the somewhat selfish request but if someone could convert the template so it works better with GIMP I would genuinely really appreciate it. I've only ever made one aircraft skin but I would love to make some for IL2 and share them with the community. Here's some pictures of what to expect. 

GtH90o7.thumb.jpg.41d15b33e977f2d5f440186e5ad32008.jpg7nyxG9n.thumb.png.fe5fdd163727e99ea045823690f57ea5.png

Hi,

I have updated the original post with a link for GIMP versions of the main and alpha templates.

• Upvote 1

Even though the release of this updated v6 template has lead to me having to reload all of my K4 skins (and update my personal ones) I would like thank ICDP again, for providing the template and his ongoing efforts to correct any issues when they are found.  

The following links are to my previously released K4 skins refreshed to v6 (at the time of posting :P), there are also links to some additional variations.

(Note that the links in my original postings have also been updated)

My 4K versions of default 2K skin based a ICDP's v6 Template

Mit Haken

Kein Haken

My reworked versions of the above using 81, 83, 76 colours:

Mit Haken
Kein Haken

(Nue) My re-reworked versions using 81, 83, 76a (fuselage) colours:
Mit Haken
Kein Haken

Here's my I KG(J) 6 White 10 

Mit Haken
Faux Haken

(Nue) Here's a I KG(J) 6 scheme without any number, this one also has the 75a fuselage and a 75/83 stencilled tail.

Mit Haken
Faux Haken

Cheers

Nice work. But aren't your new V6 versions missing the camo colours on the Erla Haube canopy frame?

I use your 4K default replacement in game BTW.

The Erla Haube was usually painted RLM66 when delivered.

• Thanks 1

@ROTER_BART I read your post just before hitting the hey last night and was going to mention what ICDP said about the RLM66, however I decided when I got up this morning to some defaults without the RLM66 painted Erla Haube as well. I also attempted to up-scale the distressed national markings, but this just did not cut the mustard, looking too chunky at 200%, but plan to experiment further with this.

So for the moment:

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ICDP said:

The Erla Haube was usually painted RLM66 when delivered.

Oh OK, I did not know that. I now notice that quite a few of the other skins that have been released also have the grey canopy frame.

2 hours ago, spudkopf said:

@ROTER_BART I read your post just before hitting the hey last night and was going to mention what ICDP said about the RLM66, however I decided when I got up this morning to some defaults without the RLM66 painted Erla Haube as well. I also attempted to up-scale the distressed national markings, but this just did not cut the mustard, looking too chunky at 200%, but plan to experiment further with this.

So for the moment:

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Mit Haken no 66

Kein Haken no 66

Enjoy

Cool, thanks!

Spudkopf, these are excellent skins, thanks for sharing them.

16 hours ago, ICDP said:

Spudkopf, these are excellent skins, thanks for sharing them.

Well you did the lions share of the work, without your templates stuff like this would all be a truck load harder to do, all I really do is tweak things to my liking. I check the 4K portal of the forum daily just to see if there's been another ICDP template released.

(Each time with the expectation that some high numbered Gs may have been uploaded, hint)

Case in point, I've attempted to re-apply the distressed look of the original default skins markings, trying to simply upscale the markings from the 2K template, just exaggerated the pixel stepping which became especially evident on the fuselage crosses, so I had to drag them out into Illustrator and back for some tweakage to reduce this. I have also layered the scratches to try and give them varying depths of penetration, this did reduce the overall extent and severity of the scratches, but I think it kind of works.

Note: I've corrected the inconsistent thickness of the wing crosses since these screen shots were taken.

1.thumb.jpg.b36b7b2b9a4d7312a2887fbbc6f9ec55.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1a51910237d2a7d673ff0f9af0945a79.jpg

Spoiler

3.thumb.jpg.2a63612d185a5d02a0df9880b481a4ef.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.550ed03c7549cfcc156dae33077e7d2d.jpg

The chipped versions will be uploaded later today.

• Like 1

Link to all my default replacements, now with chipped markings, I was a tad lazy this time around and have linked all of them to a common share page.

File explanation:

Bf109K4.dds = RLM 75/83/76, same as the original default, but with Haken and RLM 66 on hood, .

Bf109K4_81_83_76 = RLM 81/83/76, RLM 83 is the Hell (bright) version

Bf109K4_81_83_76a = RLM 81/83/76/76a (on fuselage only), RLM 83 is the Hell (bright) version

Bf109K4_NS.dds  = Kein Haken

Bf109K4_N66.dds = No RLM 66 on hood

Bf109K4_NS_N66.dds = Kein Haken and no RLM 66 on hood

Spoiler

5.thumb.jpg.f22229533231ba6964f9906bdd54f50b.jpg

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much ICDP and spudkopf. The template and skins are just awesome. Thank you for your efforts. The K4 really deserves more skins.

Hello @ICDP,

May i ask what the difference between the gimp and non.gimp versions of your awesome template are?

I previously worked with v4, but decided to use the newer v6 and had to "upgrade" to gimp 2.10.8. With this version my performance (system: gtx 1060 6gb; i7700; 16GB RAM; SSD ) dropped so much so that it became unusable. With 2.8(or 9 not exactly sure) it was very quick and smooth, even with files >1GB.

So to my questions:

Do i lose detail, colours, etc if i use the non-gimp version?

Would you be willing to release the template in a xcf format compatible with gimp versions previous to 2.10.x?

Could i increase performance with my system (with certain settings etc.) so i don´t have horrible lag( somthing like 30s for selecting a layer)?

Thank you

greetings

On 1/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, ICDP said:

Hi,

I have updated the original post with a link for GIMP versions of the main and alpha templates.

Thank you, I genuinely appreciate it.

Original post updated to remove template links.  The default Bf109K-4 in the sim uses skins created from an updated version of this template.  I have uploaded this for Jason to link on the official templates thread.

See OP for a link to some skins created using the new template.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2