ICDP

Bf109-K4 (Battle of Bodenplatte) Template pack released - Including normal map and skins - UPDATED to v4

UPDATED 08/12/2018 13:00 GMT.

Some fixes as pointed out by forum members below.  Downloads end in _v4

• Removed optional port.  It looks like it was not present on K4.
  • Fixed an error on port in panel lines on nose
  • Removed Glycol/Wasser stencil

I'm very proud to present my latest 4k template pack.

Bf109-K4 (Battle of Bodenplatte) template, generic skins and 4k Normalmap are ready for download.

3x Generic skins

4k Template link (including alpha layer template)

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/JiHfV16aoB

Skins link

Unzip the contents of this .zip file to:

\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\Bf109K4

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/6EPUxold4s

4k Normalmap link

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/5xXpYNuBKZ

Unzip the contents of this .zip file to:

\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\Bf109K4\Textures

Your original file will be overwritten but a folder will be created with the contents of the original normalmap file.

If you wish to fly the Bf109-K4 (among other AC) and use these skins, please purchase Battle of Bodenplatte  here.

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

Bf109-4K_2.jpg

Bf109-4K_3.jpg

Bf109-4K_4.jpg

Bf109-4K_6.jpg

K4 1.jpg

K4_2.jpg

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 13
  • Upvote 8

Great, makes K4 looks so much better! Many thanks for your work 🤝

Thank you very much, so very awesome as usual!

About details that everyone don't care about, I think you can be closer to the reality concerning 3 points.

I've never done skin, so I don't know if it is possible. I'm not aware of the restrictions you face doing this work.

1176394505_109lignbase.PNG.d6c0fd9254219b6ebf0733b434b295c7.PNG

373128411_109lign3.thumb.PNG.ca653f8f3cfc484a514c5874064cef5a.PNG

1: Suppression of structural line.

2: bigger holes. To mark them, it would be better to paint them the same color as the camo, but use a slightly different shade or if possible to make them just matte so that they come out a little according to the lightning.

3: Supression of horizontal structural line and continuing it in the vertical.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

Again I have to say thank you, as now my new ride has brand new clothes, pretty much your template but with a custom stenciled tail and rudder, and the extra simplified under wing balkens. I do have one question however, in that was the intention to have this skin template less shiny than your past work (i.e. the 190s), not at all a criticism just generally curious?

Spoiler

k4red5.thumb.jpg.6ca7a2add2a925cbe015b4f6f49a856a.jpg

By the way I also got quite attached to your 2K, two greys K4 skin, so I up scaled the grey layers and added them into the template, so I could keep the system default skin more or less the same.

Your efforts are always eagerly awaited, and definitely very much appreciated.

Cheers

19 hours ago, Notclear said:

About details that everyone don't care about, I think you can be closer to the reality concerning 3 points.

I've never done skin, so I don't know if it is possible. I'm not aware of the restrictions you face doing this work.

1: Suppression of structural line.

2: bigger holes. To mark them, it would be better to paint them the same color as the camo, but use a slightly different shade or if possible to make them just matte so that they come out a little according to the lightning.

3: Supression of horizontal structural line and continuing it in the vertical.

:salute:

Thanks Notclear, I have done point 1 and point 2 as per your suggestions.  Point 3 I have left as there are many conflicting 3 views/plans that show that line was not present.  I have also looked at modern restored G10 variants and it looks it is correct in the template.

180809-F-IO108-001.JPG

Edited by ICDP
  • Upvote 3

Hate to always request something, but could it be possible to make these panel lines more visible?

Especially one in rear of the hood because there was rubber seal between engine cowling and airframe.

109nose.PNG

4b5750652f9fd187med.png

1-Bf-109K4-11.JG53-(Y1+)-Gunther-Landt-Germany-April-45.jpg

5173892993_2613dffe0b_o.jpg

109rubber.jpg

Edited by DB605
one more pic

Thanks DB605, I have added darker lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

Point 3 I have left as there are many conflicting 3 views/plans that show that line was not present.  I have also looked at modern restored G10 variants and it looks it is correct in the template. 

The point is that line look lower, nearly invisible from profile, certainly the reason why it doesn't appear on the plans.

256791172_109lign4.PNG.5d8b9c591679a7e3c984f7a608a99752.PNG

559640526_109lign5.PNG.59d02ce0a882452187692de24b7e6f2b.PNG

With that modification or not, your work gonna be a masterpiece, thank to you.

Hi !

I can't find the link for the template ?

Did you remove it until you'll release a new update ?

Cheers.

G'day ICDP

Just wondering have the modeling team been made aware of this small small texture issue?

image.thumb.png.f3571d5ac88134686a74e493f69676c1.png

Which sadly shows up even more now that you've added DB605s requested rubber seals.

image.thumb.png.a7e40e9ee49f49cd55ae9aefdde97711.png

It's not a biggie, and it's hardly noticeable at normal viewing levels (dam my new big ass screen), and I'd report it myself, however I think it just may carry a little more weight coming from yourself.

Cheers

Edited by spudkopf
  • Upvote 1

Hi, all 109-lovers AND developer team too!

Very much off topic, butt there is one detail concerning the overall look of the plane, namely the wrong position of the landing gear,

which should lean notably more forward. This little detail spoils (in my mind ) the otherwise exellent impression of the plane. What do you

guys think about this biggie. Internet is full of pictures of this plane so everybody can check it there. BoS´s rival DCS has noticed the angle

of the gear and copied it in the right way.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Hese said:

Hi, all 109-lovers AND developer team too!

Very much off topic, butt there is one detail concerning the overall look of the plane, namely the wrong position of the landing gear,

which should lean notably more forward. This little detail spoils (in my mind ) the otherwise exellent impression of the plane. What do you

guys think about this biggie. Internet is full of pictures of this plane so everybody can check it there. BoS´s rival DCS has noticed the angle

of the gear and copied it in the right way.

Hello, yes landing gear angle is incorrect and biggest flaw in IL2 109 external model. I have actually made two bug reports about it, one in 2014 and another few weeks before K4 was out. I really wish devs would notice it.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, spudkopf said:

G'day ICDP

Just wondering have the modeling team been made aware of this small small texture issue?

image.thumb.png.f3571d5ac88134686a74e493f69676c1.png

Which sadly shows up even more now that you've added DB605s requested rubber seals.

image.thumb.png.a7e40e9ee49f49cd55ae9aefdde97711.png

It's not a biggie, and it's hardly noticeable at normal viewing levels (dam my new big ass screen), and I'd report it myself, however I think it just may carry a little more weight coming from yourself.

Cheers

It's a UV mapping issue that I decided was OK to ignore.  I will take another look at it. :)

7 hours ago, Zargos said:

Hi !

I can't find the link for the template ?

Did you remove it until you'll release a new update ?

Cheers.

Sorry Zargos,

The link is back again.

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

Sorry Zargos,

The link is back again.

Thanks.

I was looking forward to downloading it.

:good:

OK I had a look at the UV mapping issue on the rubber seal and it isn't fixable in any meaningful way.  I can report it as a UV issue.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I've reported it on the tester forum so I will wait for feedback first.

9 hours ago, ICDP said:

It's a UV mapping issue that I decided was OK to ignore.  I will take another look at it. :)

6 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

Hi  ICDP,  and make the union line somewhat wider to conceal it...?:salute:

G'day ICDP

Sorry I did realise from the outset that it was a mapping fault and not a template issue (been there done that) and thus was unlikely to be fixable from the template stand point, any confusion is due to my poor choice of words, as I should have written mapping instead of texture in my initial post to make it clearer.

When you take a look at the wire mesh you can see the issue is occurring on a fairly complex set of intersecting points, but that said it should be a relatively easy fix for the dev's, as it appears to be that the mapping of just one vertices that is at fault and a few tweaks of the X & Ys should do the trick.

5 hours ago, ICDP said:

I've reported it on the tester forum so I will wait for feedback first.

Thanks for raising the issue in that forum.

Cheers

Edited by spudkopf

Thanks spudkopf, I new that was what you meant and sometimes these mapping issues can be fixed by some clever manipulations.

Hi all.  I just wanted to point out that my 4k templates are always very closely based on the original skins and templates.  I will only fix very glaring issues and rarely spend time pouring over countless images and 3 views to find the most accurate one to use.  My reasons for this are not laziness but because deviating too far from the original causes glaring differences if a skin created with my template is used with the original normalmaps.

I do appreciate people posting these fixes and will always fix them where possible, so please keep posting them.  I just wanted people to know why it looks like I keep making what are glaring mistakes.

Thanks everyone for posting fixes and for using my templates.  In future I will release some test skins before the actual template and ask the community for feedback.  Then release the final template with these fixes.  This will avoid the unfortunate situation where the most prolific and talented skinners end up using the older and wrong templates.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ICDP said:

......sometimes these mapping issues can be fixed by some clever manipulations. 

Yeah and I can see why you gave the balance of the rudder a wide birth on your skins, sure is some crazy stretching going on there, but in the end I was able to work it out.

4 hours ago, ICDP said:

Hi all.  I just wanted to point out that my 4k templates are always very closely based on the original skins and templates.  I will only fix very glaring issues and rarely spend time pouring over countless images and 3 views to find the most accurate one to use.  My reasons for this are not laziness but because deviating too far from the original causes glaring differences if a skin created with my template is used with the original normalmaps.

Not lazy at all, more over these are the very reasons I choose to use your skins/templates, apart from the simple fact that they are truly excellent and a joy to work with. There are a few other 109s that need similar attention (hint), not wanting to take anything away from other great 109 templates out there, but the fact that these are not backward compatible with the defaults tends to make me reluctant to use them.

Cheers 

Any chance you can use this template as a base for the G-series 109? I know there are already templates around for those planes, but i would just prefer to have them all from the same person, because it just gives a more even look ingame. Not sure if it would be too much work though.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0b3fc2fdc69b3c74836ee3db5fc37f7c.png

image.thumb.png.27f08abd63b9ad2408195d34f63a12a1.pngimage.thumb.png.042c937a1cc3424d73077f401cf47f9d.png

image.thumb.png.4cc24caafc6f20a0c9634c8065a50857.png

making a semi-historical skin, I like these colors better, though, it's hard to make the colors seamless.

469193721_k4paint1.thumb.jpg.9f4ddb49718559e71ffc955fdd299c88.jpg

Edited by catchthefoxes

Well as I said the other day I took the cam' layers from the 2K template and up-scaled them into the 4K template, because I had grown quite fond of that scheme and wanted the game default skin to stay more or less the same , today I decided to tweak the colours somewhat and add some basic markings just for fun, and I think (IMO) that the result although probably not historic kind of doesn't look half bad.....

Spoiler

1665223517_k4defrecoourl1.thumb.jpg.e4d3c16584bcd2450c8e3b44b8bfcf12.jpg

297370182_k4defrecoourl2.thumb.jpg.9373a9c9a216df0f00797de5f5d8450e.jpg

:P

Edited by spudkopf

On 12/2/2018 at 7:44 PM, ICDP said:

UPDATED 08/12/2018 13:00 GMT.

This masterpiece is getting better and better. Thanks for all your work.

For those like minded souls, I thought I'd share the fruits of my labours and upload my recreated K4 default based skins......

Corrected the fault from earlier and have now uploaded files :)

4K versions of default 2K skin based a ICDP's Template revision 4 ( at the moment :P ):

Mit Haken

Kein Haken

While here are my reworked versions of the above using 81, 83, 76 colours:
Mit Haken
Kein Haken

Again much thanks to ICDP for the K44K template, that makes such work possible in the first place.

Enjoy

Edited by spudkopf

Many Thanks for the Template @ICDP. Its allowed me to produce some very nice skins (IMHO) for SCG with the minimum of fuss. Top notch!!

Its also allowed me to make this monstrosity 🙂 Just for sh1ts and giggles but if anyone wants it here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/file/idva6sc0lbyc1yx/The_last_Eagle.zip/file

Versions with and without the dreaded symbol included in the zip!

2018_12_10__20_21_42.jpg

2018_12_10__20_22_35.jpg

2018_12_10__20_22_55.jpg

2018_12_10__20_23_28.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Broke out my cherished and much referenced copy of Monogram Close-Up 16 and decided to try and recreate the factory scheme template shown within using ICDPs template.

1717155254_MonogramCloseUp16cover25p.thumb.jpg.89c18489e95c739cd5739d2e5db0cfb8.jpg

Spoiler

1495179857_MonogramCloseUp16template25p.thumb.jpg.b9cf5a16e52782fb75d095e4f692a720.jpg

monogram1.thumb.jpg.d7343071047498092187fd2a690df9bc.jpgmonogram1a.thumb.jpg.868f49b509096247cb311dbacd3111c0.jpgmonogram2.thumb.jpg.8d811a9e25917ff1a982a5bfa2f865a3.jpgmonogram2a.thumb.jpg.e7706f906c91d73326253caf496cf21a.jpgmonogram3.thumb.jpg.5380cf0ca8e32a18cabe0d13a0f9d2e8.jpgmonogram3a.thumb.jpg.b0bba5cde6b1150dc04c43deda488b5e.jpg

I basically re-did the entire cam' pattern (except for the horizontal stabilisers) and I must say the leading edge UV mapping misalignment was not a fun aspect for doing this.

As can be seen hidden in the spoiler above, using combinations of the 4 basic colours allows the creation of 8 (at least) different base paints.

On skins where RLM 76a is used I have only applied this to the fuselage, to reflect the fact that major components where often manufactured at separate sites, before final assembly, and so there is also a subtle colour difference on the rudder.

Still a WIP and mainly for my own consumption, but I'm happy to share if there is interest.

Edited by spudkopf
Grammar, always the grammar, except when it's not.
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

If you need someone to fly deep behind enemy lines and bomb precision targets during the holiday season , who ya gonna call? I KG(J) 6 that's who! 

Spoiler

ikgj6c.thumb.jpg.e9723e830f56851b8612aaa2e7756f07.jpg

ikgj6a.thumb.jpg.d2e2208e7254b24efd48e295b0c0eda6.jpg

ikgj6b.thumb.jpg.8ecfba613f79ba02b5b6c0ad56b6138f.jpg

I've just uploaded a white 10 version, this being identical to the skin previously shown above except for the number, for those who are interested go to the links below the spoiler. Noting that even though it goes against the grain I've uploaded a Faux haken version, seeing that having no haken at all (my personal PC'ed preference) just looks strange, enjoy.

Spoiler

801837653_white10.thumb.jpg.c309b891c113f948f074a1f419c98209.jpg

With Haken

Faux Haken 

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2