PatrickAWlson

PWCG DD

There are three major PWCG projects coming up.  PWCG online for coop, PWCG for BOBP, and PWCG for FC.

Flying Circus

PWCG for FC will start in September of 1917 and progress through the end of the war.   It will be geographically much smaller than RoF as it will all have to take place inside the provided map. There will certainly be some juggling of history as the squadrons facing each other will not be entirely accurate but more representative.  German, British, and French will be included. I might toss in an American SPAD squadron.  Because of the limited plane set squadrons, especially two seat squadrons, will be assigned stand in aircraft types.  Still, while not achieving the historical accuracy that is possible with more planes and maps, it will still provide the atmosphere.  Historical accuracy will increase as more planes and maps are added.  Unlike PWCG for RoF, PWCG for BoS will have a moving front, at least from April 1918 to the end of the war.

Battle of Bodenplatte

BOBP introduces Americans and British.  American and British careers will begin as early as possible given the map.  Russian careers will still end in early 44.  German careers will be allowed to move from the east to the west, with the possibility of enforced leave for the time gap between the last Russian  campaign and the start of activity in the west.

PWCG Online Phase 1

Release 5.0 brought about coop campaigns.  Small problem: only the person actually running the campaign can see anything.  PWCG Online, conceptually ... think of Dungeons and Dragons.  You have  Dungeon Master who runs the show.  Similarly, a coop campaign will have one person who runs the show (this is already the case, except in PWCG the DM can play too).  I will call that person the Campaign Commander.  I am writing servers that the campaign commander can run on his machine.  These servers will allow users to access PWCG from their browsers, which will allow them to interact with the campaign in much the same way  that you can do today. Big difference is that campaign altering events such as leave and new missions will not be available - only the campaign commander will be allowed to do things that alter the state of campaigns.  However, participants will be able to look at the chalk board, see flight logs, top aces, etc.

PWCG Online Phase 2

One the basics are in place, phase two can begin.  The goal here is to eliminate the restriction that all human players must belong to the same squadron.  In phase two they can be in any squadron on any side.  This is a massive change that will have to take place over time.  The goal is that, in the end, coop online wars become a reality.  Joe can fly for a fighter squadron, harry can be in a bomber squadron, and Jane can fly fighters for the other side.  When a PWCG mission is made all of these people will be involved, with AI filling in the rest.  They may meet or they may not, but they will be flying.  

A note: PWCG is not structured to be massive multiplayer.  This still depends on somebody running the coop campaign and setting up missions.  You can't have a limitless number of people in the air for obvious reasons.  However, it will be great for squadron wars with 40-50 people involved.  It will also be great for flight sim role players that want to  get together and fly through a historical setting, sometimes flying with friends but also possibly meeting human opponents.  There will be a very high degree of flexibility, with the sweet spot being 5-50 participants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 3

Thank you very much @PatrickAWlson.

Altough not being very vocal on the PWCG thread, our squadron enjoys your tool and flies with it when given the chance. I want to thank you for your work and @Murleen too.

This is beyond promising. Online Phase two it's quantum leap on a already more than excellent SP and small Coop campaign. You guys keep the dream alive.

Edited by LF_Gallahad

All sounds great Pat, thanks so much for all your efforts!

Great to see incorporating FC also!

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the DD. Very impressive pipeline. Looking forward to it.

Just one question that bugs me for quite a while, because apparently BoM is not using the Velikie Luki map for the career mode. Any chance you are going to integrate that into your app? Thanks for consideration.

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the DD. Very impressive pipeline. Looking forward to it.

Just one question that bugs me for quite a while, because apparently BoM is not using the Velikie Luki map for the career mode. Any chance you are going to integrate that into your app? Thanks for consideration.

Starting a new thread

22 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I can't promise RoF but definitely Flying Circus.

Great to hear that Pat! I'm wondering what your plans are for skin assignments in FC. I'm definitely willing to lend any support. Currently I'm going to try to focus on all missing Central squadron defaults. S!

PWCG Online, PWCG for BoBP and PWCG for Flying Circus definite.  BoBP and FC have to wait for the maps.  I am working on PWCGOnline right now, which is pretty much consuming every spare moment that I have.

PWCG Online is currently in progress.  This is a significant project that intends to bring the PWCG coop experience online.  Right now you can already play coop campaigns with multiple players.  However, those players do not have any visuals into the campaign.  Phase 1 of PWCG Online will create a server, run from the Campaign Commander's machine, that will allow other players to log on and see the campaign from their point of view. Phase 1 will also come with a coop admin screen embedded in PWCG that will make maintaining campaign participants an easy task.  PWCG Online phase 1 will only work for coop campaigns in a single squadron.

PWCG Online Phase 2 is where life gets really interesting.  PWCG will be altered to keep track of human pilots in any squadron on any side.  Possibilities include:

1. You and your friends are on the same side.  You fly in different squadrons with different roles.  When you fly together you will each have missions based on your assigned roles.  You may meet or you may not, but you will be in the air together.

2. You and your friends fly for different sides.  You play a persona in the war.  The war advances just like PWCG single player does but all of the human pilots are tracked.  

3. Squadron wars.  Only  human players fly.  

I am currently working on the core stuff.  Two servers (one Angular, one Node) talking to each other.  The Node server accessing PWCG data files.  I do things in vertical slices, so when I have something it is actually completely done and not a UI mock up.  At the moment I have the new user registration, login, and new pilot request data flows complete.  There is some security work to do to secure the back end server (not telling how :) ).

For those concerned with security, I am writing this to minimize security concerns.  The outward facing angular app will never attempt to access the home computer in any way.  The back end Node app receives JSON data and reads and writes JSON files.  It never accepts a file, eliminating the possibility of any unwanted piggybacking.  It does not use any database technology, eliminating any vulnerabilities that that may bring. Transmissions between the front end and back end will be secured such that the back end will accept data only from the locally installed instance.  Finally, PWCG Online will use absolutely no personally identifying information.  Not your name, not your email address, nothing.  Just a handle and a password that you create.  

• Like 3

Although only offline-player, it sounds cool. But hope the development does not end at PWCG Offline (skins - ferry-flights - new mission types ...).

Thanks for a great job.

Definitely not quitting.  Once the online portion is done future development will benefit both, so BoBP will be usable by the SP and Coop community, skins, mission improvements, etc. - same thing.  For the next six months or so, however, the focus will be making online work.

I am not a multiplayer person because I don't really enjoy playing without a context.  I am not a squad person because it is too much commitment.  I could see myself playing in a competitive coop environment.  It will be just like any other PWCG mission except a fair number of the planes will be piloted by people.  I did a online campaign like that in red Baron 3D and it was a blast.  

19 hours ago, Luger1969 said:

Pat thank you so much for doing Flying Circus. Greatly appreciated.

It's going to be awhile but once I get the map I will start in.  I really have no idea when the map will be available but I need that and I need the two seaters done.

Right now I'm plugging away at the coop online component.  Making steady progress.