PatrickAWlson

PWCG DD

I think what Sketch means is something like the previous DCG by Lowengrin used in the 1946 game. In that system, you basically create a template with compositions manually placed for both sides. The system decides which one to use based on who controls the sector (position of front line). If that makes any sense ...

Yes, exactly what Risken is saying. You're currently using a global group, and I'm suggesting creating a hundred+ different groups or more. The groups would be similar, in that they would have the same amount of bad guys.

However, their position would be different and placed correctly around forests and roads and stuff like that. Then, instead of selecting a global group, you select a group based on where the players are, where the front lines are, and what players are to attack.

That is already what is done in the code.  Dozens of ground unit groups are created.  Each type of ground unit has its own template.  You don't see it because it is all in the code, but it's there.  These can be battles, depos, trains, convoys, etc.  They are all independent.  They each have their own purpose.  They are definitely not one large group.

Ground units are placed based on mission parameters.  Some types of ground units I can place pretty accurately.  Trains start in a station.  Convoys start near a bridge - the location of the bridge tells me that there is a road there.  Battles are placed near the front lines.  Depos behind the lines.  It is battles, depos and the like that end up in water, again, because i just don't know where the water is.

I could theoretically allow the player to place ground units, but that is IMHO not feasible.  

One thing to remember is that PWCG is operating under very severe restrictions in terms of number of units.  Units that are targets for AI flights are limited to one ground unit (a single truck for instance).  I do this so I can save more ground units for the player.  AAA is placed much more sparsely than I would like.  Battles are generally smaller than I would like.  There are fewer "ambient" (ambient = stuff that happens to be there but is not specifically part of the mission assignment) units than I would like.

I would love to turn PWCG loose and let it create the whole world.  It can do that, but your mission would never run.  

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Understood Pat! Thanks for all you do and PWCG is awesome as is :)

Maybe someday we will have the tech to run such mission ... with the whole map populated by PWCG and not so much concerns about hard limits. It was like that with IL2 1946 at one point too so there is hope we will also see something similar as processing power increases in the future ...

Edited by SCG_Riksen
  • Upvote 1

I'm with Risken on this. PWCG is great as is, and I'm appreciative of your work. Only looking to help in some compacity.

Nothing too exciting.  Core campaign has been reworked for multiple human players.  Working on mission generation now.  probably about 50% code complete.  I have new rules for in place for spawning and attack triggers.  Working on despawning now.  

Once mission generation is done then AAR. 

Rules:

AI flights will spawn for any human player.

Ambient ground units will spawn for any plane coalition.

Target ground objects will spawn for any plane coalition.

AttackArea command MCUs will trigger for any plane (AI or human) in the attacking flight.

AAA will spawn for enemy plane coalition.

Basically, if a plane is around then ground units in the area will spawn.  This will end up being mostly human triggered because AI flights will not spawn until there is human contact.  However, once an AI aircraft is on the map it could cause ground units to spawn.  This will result in a bit of chaos as, for example,  your train target could spawn and leave the station based on other airplanes.  I like this kind of chaos as IMHO it makes life more interesting.

Triggering of attack MCUs will be limited to the attacking flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Nothing too exciting. This will result in a bit of chaos as, for example,  your train target could spawn and leave the station based on other airplanes.  I like this kind of chaos as IMHO it makes life more interesting.

Ah... I always suspected that you were an agent of CHAOS. Where is James Bond when needed? 😀

More progress on 6.0.  Mission generation code is complete.  I successfully generated a mission in 6.0 for the first time (that is a pretty big deal). With production code complete for core campaign and mission generation I can now focus on testing those aspects of PWCG.  After that, AAR.  Then play testing.  Then back to Coop server development and further integration between the PWCG Coop Server and PWCG (they communicate through JSON files.  Still no net code in PWCG). 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2