Flynco

New P-47 hipoxia

6 minutes ago, Flynco said:

so yes or no

Not sure, I've never had my oxygen supply damaged at high altitude.

Is hypoxia modelled in other airplanes? I've never noticed. What in game symptoms should I look for?

3 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Is hypoxia modelled in other airplanes? I've never noticed. What in game symptoms should I look for?

I don't think it is, I've never experience it in all my time playing. My guess it would be blurry vision and eventually black out if it is simulated in-game.

Spawn with an I-16 at 10k and find out if its modeled yourself. I believe it is not.

1 hour ago, Flynco said:

so yes or no

Possibly

30 minutes ago, pegg00 said:

Spawn with an I-16 at 10k and find out if its modeled yourself. I believe it is not.

The I-16 has an oxygen system.

Just now, LukeFF said:

Possibly

The I-16 has an oxygen system.

Turn it off

Just now, pegg00 said:

Turn it off

You can't.

I got damaged in a Yak 1B at 7,000 meters , and got a tech message oxygen system damaged or something like that.

Waited and nothing happened.

This was like 3 updates ago though

5 hours ago, busdriver said:

Look for long term brain damage.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

When oxygen systems were first introduced (I think during BoM development) its supposed effects were described in some detail in either a DD or list of changes for an update.

From memory it was something like reduced strength of the pilot leading to sluggish controls (similar to when wounded) followed by a gradual onset of blackout. 

Thank to all for reply, in DCS hipoxia is modeled in P-51d, F-86 Sabre, F-5 Tiger Northrop, maybe in the Spitfire, and in A-10 Thunderbolt 

The hs129 doesn't have an oxygen system, test it with that! (even says flight above 4000m is prohibited in the manual) I seem to remember a long time ago a dev saying that the less oxygen the pilot had the easier it was for them to black out with high G manoeuvres,  I liked this approach but I don't think it has ever been modelled or if it was a long time ago, it has been removed or broke.

edit: correct me if I am wrong but I do not remember seeing any affects of hypoxia in this sim.

Edited by Bullets
  • Upvote 1

Same here, I have never experienced any effects, even though I get oxygen system damage all the time.

Edited by danielprates

Hypoxia is a bear to model. Everybody has different symptoms and the more dangerous parts of hypoxia (impacts on decision-making, general euphoria, etc.) can't be modelled, unless you're depriving yourself of oxygen in front of your rig.

7 minutes ago, Bullets said:

The hs129 doesn't have an oxygen system, test it with that! (even says flight above 4000m is prohibited in the manual)

At 4000m, you'd just be out of gas before any hard effects of hypoxia kick in.

You'd have slightly reduced vision, a slower brain and you'd be short on breath mainly.

Maybe you could blur the vision somewhat to simulate a lack of focus and concentration-ability.

The real fun-stuff begins at higher altitudes (we're talking short term effects here, not mountaineers).

42 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Same here, I have never experienced any effects, even though I get oxygen system damage all the time.

Have you tried pinching your nose? 😁

• Haha 2

That is why I liked the idea of decreasing "G tolerability" and then just starting to slowly black out. I have hypoxia training next month I will post my experiences :salute: 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Hypoxia is a bear to model. Everybody has different symptoms and the more dangerous parts of hypoxia (impacts on decision-making, general euphoria, etc.) can't be modelled, unless you're depriving yourself of oxygen in front of your rig.

You'd have slightly reduced vision, a slower brain and you'd be short on breath mainly.

Maybe you could blur the vision somewhat to simulate a lack of focus and concentration-ability.

The real fun-stuff begins at higher altitudes (we're talking short term effects here, not mountaineers).

I have Mt biked at 4,000 meters in the Andes, and actually we had to ride uphill (yes no gas, no air but brain function not affected at all)

We stayed all day between 4,000 and 3000 meters.

There has been many GA accidents where the cabin lost pressurization and pilots pass out, autopilot keeps going and plane crashes when out of fuel.

So if you loose your oxygen system high enough, easy to model, you die , because you will pass out and not wake up when diving out of fuel.

If you are like at 6,000 meters maybe an in between would be good , same as wounded is modeled (better than nothing) and if you dive down you re gain your strenght, so in the case you will be forced to go down quick.

I remember that I was once damaged by enemy fire and my pilot started breathing heavily in straight flight. ( i dont use technochat so i dont know if the oxygen system was damaged)

Unfortunately I ended QMB quickly afterwards so there was no time to observe any effect

tried it in the Camel at 7000m, and no hypoxia at all... It isn't modelled.

5 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I have Mt biked at 4,000 meters in the Andes, and actually we had to ride uphill (yes no gas, no air but brain function not affected at all)

You obviously are a trained individual, so your body can handle hypoxia better than the typical 250lbs couch-slug.

Brain-function is hard to personally assess, as you won't recognize how you're affected.

When talking about hypoxia, sooner or later this tape comes up.

Edited by Bremspropeller

12 hours ago, Flynco said:

Thank to all for reply, in DCS hipoxia is modeled in P-51d, F-86 Sabre, F-5 Tiger Northrop, maybe in the Spitfire, and in A-10 Thunderbolt 

Shame fun isn't modelled in DCS 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 4

Hypoxia? Who needs oxygen when you have castor oil? Nothing better then the smell of laxative in the morning.

zrWpXXQ.jpg

• Haha 2

What's...interesting is that the Il-2 M41 has an oxygen system. Why on Earth Mr. Ilyushin thought that a ground attack aircraft would be flying that high is a mystery to me. 

3 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Why on Earth Mr. Ilyushin thought that a ground attack aircraft would be flying that high is a mystery to me.

Ask the Chinese. They went to Tibet. ;)

Also, exhaust gases entering the cockpit might be an issue. But no idea whether that is an issue in the IL-2.

Did a quick test by spawning in a Camel at 10,000m with some maneuvering on the way down. Beginning of greyout was around 2.5-3G.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Did a quick test by spawning in a Camel at 10,000m with some maneuvering on the way down. Beginning of greyout was around 2.5-3G.

Yes Requiem, I did notice that too, but... if I don't pull Gs I can fly forever ( if I can manage to in the Camel at that altitude, and the thing is a bitch if it falls into a spin... ) without any effect ...

10 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

You can pull more than 2 G on the Camel at that altitude? Impressive. How did you determine g-load?

Here, this is what you should expect as time of useful consciousness  (TUC) (from Wiki):

Altitude (measured barometrically) TUC (normal ascent) TUC (rapid decompression)
FL180 (18,000 ft; 5,500 m) 20 to 30 minutes 10 to 15 minutes
FL220 (22,000 ft; 6,700 m) 10 minutes 5 minutes
FL250 (25,000 ft; 7,600 m) 3 to 5 minutes 1.5 to 3.5 minutes
FL280 (28,000 ft; 8,550 m) 2.5 to 3 minutes 1.25 to 1.5 minutes
FL300 (30,000 ft; 9,150 m) 1 to 2 minutes 30 to 60 seconds
FL350 (35,000 ft; 10,650 m) 30 secs to 1 minute 15 to 30 seconds
FL400 (40,000 ft; 12,200 m) 15 to 20 seconds 7 to 10 seconds
FL430 (43,000 ft; 13,100 m) 9 to 12 seconds 5 seconds
FL500 (50,000 ft; 15,250 m) 9 to 12 seconds 5 seconds

That doesn't happen. But it is nice to see that strain impacts pilot ability. But not sure if it is the cold or the lack of oxigen that is the culpit. I mean, FL300 in an open cockpit as the Camel is not survivable.

But this all is really academic until BoBP is fully mature and we have aircraft that were fighting at that altitude. And I'd be very happy if the Spitfire radiator wouldn't overheat way before hypoxia kills. First things first.

22 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

12 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

You obviously are a trained individual, so your body can handle hypoxia better than the typical 250lbs couch-slug.

I am not trained (well, at least not for low oxygen situations) and I also don't have any side effects at 4.5k sitting in my skydive plane (which sometimes lasts quite a while, when people are afraid to jump out in front of you), apart from slight tingling in my fingers. Never had side effects snowboarding at 4k, even though it's a "bit" more exerting then flying a plane, especially when being on the mountain for the first time in 8 month. Have never been in free air above that, but at least in my case I am pretty sure no hypoxia effects below 5k...

It's something really hard to model, because I guess pilots have been trained for low oxy situations and would have had quite different tolerances. But there should be some randomized factor at least at high alt. Pretty sure that real pilots in WW2 would dive down to 4k immediately if their oxygen would not work

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

And I'd be very happy if the Spitfire radiator wouldn't overheat way before hypoxia kills. First things first.

Patched in last update 👍

• Thanks 1

Once we were forced to go above 4k in a plane not meant for that alt.

It was around 5-6k for 20min at least, we could feel euphoria (was it form knowing hypoxia will affect us or hypoxia itself i don't know) but nothing else happened beside that and a slightly bit heavier breathing.

However we weren't exposed to heavy G maneuvers or heavy workload.

I was 20+years old back then but there was also 50+ guys.

I guess it takes time to feel the hypoxia effects along with G forces and workload.....

So keep in mind to test properly you need to stay at high alt more than few minutes!

2 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Have never been in free air above that, but at least in my case I am pretty sure no hypoxia effects below 5k...

You can‘t feel it when it starts to kick in, that is the problem. What it maily does right above 4k m altitude is convince you that you‘re ok and that because it was ok at 4.5k it is still ok at 5k... and then...

I‘ve heard from some stories that the guy actually realitzed getting a black and white vision. Taking that as a final warning he headed back and descended immediately.

Same as with scuba diving and going deeper than you‘re suposed to. „Hey... I‘m still feeling well. Just look at allthese colors!“

I‘ve never seen any training for hypoxia tolerance besides an extended stay on a mountain. How would that look like?

It is also apparent that there are both longterm and short term effects to hypoxia. I remember last time, taking a flight from Lima to Cuzco. The evening after our arrival, 4 out of 12 didn‘t show up for dinner, feeling unwell. So yes, there is hypoxia even at 3.5k meters. Hypoxia is not just the „passing out thing.“