Sign in to follow this  
IckyATLAS

Two light black smoke trails

Since maybe the 3.006 or 3.005 I do not remember I started seeing two very light grey smoke trails from all planes, often at low altitude or after takeoff, but also in flight. 

This did not exist before. Is this realistic, or are there specific conditions for them to appear. Indeed sometimes they disappear.

What is the cause.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Believe that came with 3.007.

Seen typically at takeoff when going full bore, and in flight when engaging boost I believe.

Probably more to it than that so I am sure others with more info will chime in.

Yes, you have noticed some new feature since update 3.006 - the small thin black smoke trails you see, is actually caused by the mixture

settings. You can especially observe this during takeoffs, emergency power settings or also during climbing.

If you correctly set your mixture, then you will barely notice any trails at all.

Yeah, I think it's overmodelled for the American Planes though, as they generally ran a lot leaner than Russian and German Aircraft, owing to the higher Fuel Grades. But it is actually noticable in the 109s even today. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Yeah, I think it's overmodelled for the American Planes though, as they generally ran a lot leaner than Russian and German Aircraft, owing to the higher Fuel Grades. But it is actually noticable in the 109s even today. 

Amazing. Now that I look at your video and checked some others yes, there is some very light smoke trail. Depending on the background you cannot see it but with good light and contrast if you look for it then you can see it.  But it is applied on all planes in an identical manner and maybe it is a little too much. But better too much than not enough. Well done devs.

6 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Yes, you have noticed some new feature since update 3.006 - the small thin black smoke trails you see, is actually caused by the mixture

settings. You can especially observe this during takeoffs, emergency power settings or also during climbing.

If you correctly set your mixture, then you will barely notice any trails at all.

This

it's from running rich mixtures, none of the planes behave the same in regards to it. They all run rich at different settings and power levels. Very cool feature IMO.

This was a feature in the original Il-2 1946 and could give away your position a little easier if you did not manage your mixture properly.

Works very much the same here for Russian planes at least I noticed so far.  Lower the mixture a bit the higher you climb and the smoking will disappear.

As far as i understand it, you can make it disappear (or appear) by adjusting mixture on Soviet planes. But with auto mixture control in German planes, it gets darker as you give full power, because in that case it's automatically lowering the air to fuel ratio (for maximum performance or more for the cooling effect, i don't really know). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I´ll use this thread for my two questions:

1. when the spit engine is damaged why there is only one smoke trail coming from the radiator in the wing?

2. Hispano cannon is so devastating, why there is so little smoke upon impact.

Thanks

spit.jpg

On 12/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, Voidhunger said:

I´ll use this thread for my two questions:

1. when the spit engine is damaged why there is only one smoke trail coming from the radiator in the wing?

2. Hispano cannon is so devastating, why there is so little smoke upon impact.

Thanks

spit.jpg

1.: If it is coming from the radiator, it should be actually oil or coolant (my guess is lighter=coolant, darker=oil), not smoke. And it's caused by radiator damage, engine stopped is just the consequence. 

hmm every time engine in spit is damaged there is this "smoke" coming from the radiator.

I don't know, it would be ok i guess if it was the other way around, but i don't think engine damage should automatically mean leakage from the radiator. But i might be totally wrong.