Sign in to follow this  
taffy2jeffmorgan

Dam Buster remake

Hi, Just reading the British newspaper the Daily Mail, [online] that director,  Peter Jackson has announced that he will even after 10 years when he first mentioned the possibility of a remake, is to go ahead and start the process of true to life depiction of the the film, first made in 1955.

I also recommend to you all that if you get the chance to go and see Peter Jackson's " They shall not grow old "   go and see,  it is excellent

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Also go and see “Go And See”, it is also excellent 😉

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Also go and see “Go And See”, it is also excellent 😉

I'll be the first to second that!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Hi, Just reading the British newspaper the Daily Mail, [online] that director,  Peter Jackson has announced that he will even after 10 years when he first mentioned the possibility of a remake, is to go ahead and start the process of true to life depiction of the the film, first made in 1955.

I also recommend to you all that if you get the chance to go and see Peter Jackson's " They shall not grow old "   go and see,  it is excellent

Cheers

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/11/they-shall-not-grow-old-peter-jackson-review-first-world-war-footage

Went with my daughter to the premiere of " They shall not grow old" with a Peter Jackson live interview at the end.....The man is so sincerely real and his reason for doing this is so heartfelt that I truly believe he will honour the memories of those that gave their all and lives to play their part in the " Dambuster " raids.

" Come and see" not " Go and see" is the other film mentioned above...Very good as long as you don't watch the dubbed into English version...Use the subtitle option.

I remember as young lad going to the cinema with my Dad to see the original Dam Buster film, the cinema was on the old Fleet air arm base at Pembroke Dock, West Wales, i can also remember watching Sunderland flying boats taking off and landing, by the end of the war Pembroke Dock was the largest flying boat base in the world.

Other news:

https://dambustersblog.com/category/peter-jackson/

This seems more recent but I have my fingers crossed that it's wrong!

News from Wingnut Models for the release of their splendid 1/32nd(!!!) scale model of the Dam Buster Lanc, encourages me to be somewhat optimistic :

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3193&cat=5

I had the opportunity to visit Wingnut a few years ago & see that even then this was in the pipeline, so it may mean nothing at all. I understand that a beautiful 1/4 scale (?) Bf-110 G was built by Weda Workshop for film test purposes. I might add that i never saw it, but would hope that this could be offered by Wingnut Models in 1/32nd scale someday too. revell made a pretty good one some years back , but I think those of us who have had the opportunity to build Wingnut WW-1 kits know that no one can touch them for quality and thoughtful building techniques.

I didn't see the full scale fiberglass Lancs built in China (with molds taken from the Lancaster in New Zealand, )but among other things say that Weda did have the fuselage from a real Lancaster stowed away with a collection of very interesting artifacts that may be used in future projects...again something that would be very handy to have for filming - I'm thinking of the many cut away B-25 fuselages used very effectively in say Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo years ago.

Finally as noted elsewhere there is a pretty damn good VR experience to be had in the now available for free; Blitz on Berlin, available thru the Oculus store...somefun walking out on a wing over a burning Berlin in 1943.

:

lancaster-bomber-dambusters-remake.jpg

Woof, woof !!    As .......errrrrrrr.......the dog would say.

I'll hold my breath on this one.  The trouble with remaking a classic is that only excellent will do, it can't merely be good, or well acted or with lots of CGI, it's got to have a ring of believable authenticity about it.  That said it's also got to have some of the mysteek (?) of elite, gung-ho, bomber crews and not lots of modern hearts on a sleeve fears and weaknesses.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I'll hold my breath on this one.  The trouble with remaking a classic is that only excellent will do, it can't merely be good, or well acted or with lots of CGI, it's got to have a ring of believable authenticity about it.  That said it's also got to have some of the mysteek (?) of elite, gung-ho, bomber crews and not lots of modern hearts on a sleeve fears and weaknesses.

I agree, the original had its limitations, not only the film technology that was available in the early 1950's but also that bouncing bomb and its means of delivery were still on the secret list,

12 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

The winning thing with the original film was its feeling of overall authenticity, rather than any particularly vital actors, effects or locations.  This would leave a remake plenty of scope for improvement, providing it took care to keep that understated feel and didn't go for the Hollywood action style characters with hyper courage and ultra sensitivity.

By contrast, a remake of one of my other favourite aviation films The Blue Max would be well nigh impossible, despite Mr Jackson's huge number of authentic WWI aircraft.  You just couldn't get the actors nowadays to top it. 

Announcements of the Dambusters resurrection are becoming as predictable in the Uk as the Daily Express's "winter hell" headlines that always appear on October slow news days.

I hope this one actually sticks

1 hour ago, SCG_BOO_R said:

Announcements of the Dambusters resurrection are becoming as predictable in the Uk as the Daily Express's "winter hell" headlines that always appear on October slow news days.

I hope this one actually sticks

To help ease the wait, perhaps I can interest you in a cache of buried Indian spitfires?

• Haha 1

They have already made  a remake of sorts of the Dam Buster in 1976/1977 ;)

Edit:- The original was better 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
See Edit.

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

To help ease the wait, perhaps I can interest you in a cache of buried Indian spitfires?

only if you accept a promissory payment of lost german gold or a part the part ex of a Turkish Fw190

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Just in time for Christmas !!

I was at an airshow in Masteron in 2009 where PJ had some of his collection of remade ww1 stuff, the FE2b had just been completed along with his Albatross. Unfortunately none of them flew as there was a storm front coming in, but someone took up the P-40 for a spin, most impressed, the low level passes were something that would have gotten your license taken off you back in Oz, but those Kiwis put on a good show.  It was awesome to see all of these aircraft, I remember back then they were still filming the Dambusters movie. Can't believe its been 10 years since then.

As much as I like Wingnut Wings kits, ('ve got the Fokker Dvii) they are incredibly expensive. I think I paid AUD105 for that kit about 5 years ago, I know that the gotha and felixstowe kits are somewhere near the AUD250-300 mark. This Lancaster will be a AUD400 kit. 

Edited by Tyberan

On 12/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Just in time for Christmas !!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:54 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Only if we beat India in the cricket test series

No, no I want one of the F-8-F Bearcats buried across the airfield !