Staz007

How to takeoff in bombers??

Hello and thanks for any advice in advance,

I have just got IL-2 this year and i am enjoying it very much although i can't takeoff in the He-111, ju-88 or the bf 110 when using a heavy bomb load. Once i get in the air, i can not gain altitude or speed and eventually damage my engines trying to stay in the air. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by Staz007

I'm not so familiar with the He 111 and Ju 88, but I find it gets very difficult to take off in the Bf110E-2 when above about 60% fuel and with full bombload. Try reducing your fuel-load on all the aircraft until it gets easier. Holding it on the runway to get plenty of speed before you rotate helps (but not so much that your wheels blow out).

:salute:

• Thanks 1

Sounds to me like you are “pulling” the plane off the ground during lift off, instead of letting it “fly” off the runway on its own. That way you get caught in a situation, where you have to keep constant back pressure on the stick just to keep it in the air, this means you are constantly balancing on the edge of a stall at a very high angle of attack with your nose up in the air, but gaining neither altitude nor speed. 

Instead you need to get to a higher speed during the take off run. Drop a little flaps, rev up the engine(s) while holding down the brakes, so you start rolling at maximum thrust, release the brakes and get rolling, lift the tail as soon as possible, and once you are well beyond take off speed gently pull back on the stick, just a little, and let the plane fly itself off the ground. You’ll notice, that even though your nose is only pointed slightly upwards, you actually climb a lot faster, because your wings are generating more lift due to the higher airspeed even at a lower AoA.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

He 111 is very underpowered and Ju 88 not much easier in full load.

Make sure you use 100 % RPM! Do not use full flaps, they will slow you down too much. 10-20 % down or even or none at all is enough. Elevator trim fully back too will help you a bit. For He 111 H-6 the maximum fuel load is so massive that you are unlikely to ever need more than 50-60%.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that’ also an important point: With a full fuel load combined with some of the heavier bomb loads, some planes are actually overloaded (especially the He 111 which is only meant to cared the lightest bomb load with 100% fuel). They simply weren’t meant to carry those bombs for a long distance, and if you try, you might not be able to take off at all.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou all for the advice! 

After cutting down on the fuel I got the he-111 to takeoff and climb with a 2500 pound bomb.

• Upvote 2

The game gives, in the Specifications tab, maximum take off weight, and minimum operating weight (crew + 10% fuel) so I would take the difference between the two and work out how you want to split it between the fuel and the bomb load.

This is very much a bomber game as a secondary priority, but one thing that would be useful would be a weight load out for the chosen fuel and bomb-load. The weights are all given individually, but if you want to find out the total you have to do it externally to the program.  It would be very easy for the game to show the total load out weight and maximum take off weight while you choose bomb load and fuel, giving an indication of light/medium/heavy/overload. You can be sure that the crew chief and pilot would do this for a real sortie, but we need help because we are lazy and this is, after all, just a game.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some general aviation advice. Speed is like money in your pocket and altitude is like money in the bank. You want to get some money in your pocket so its ready to go before you start putting it in the bank. Speed is more important than altitude when you just taking off.

• Like 1

It might be useful if the loadouts also gave the maximum allowable fuel load automatically (ie selecting 32x50kgs changes fuel to 70%, 2x1000kgs changes fuel to 30% etc). 

• Upvote 4

All Tips here are correct, talking about Take Off speeds, Angel Of Attack, Load and so on, the most important one is NOT to OVERLOAD your aircraft!

It would be nice if the "game" could show the actual Take Off weight of the actual fuel/bomb load which is selected in the menu.....that would make it easier not to take off above the max. take off weight limit, which of course will make a heavy bomber climb like a rock and not like an eagle.

Stopped watching after 1st vid : buttocks are all tightened.. 😄

• Haha 1

Well, the other ones are REASONABLE Loadouts. I just did two Videos to show how even Extreme Overloads can be gotten of the Ground (however, getting over 1500m is impossible)

In other Words: GIVE ME VIEWS; I DESERVE THEM.

Especially the pleasing Loadout is my Favourite, 1000l and 8x250kg internal for exactly 2000kg of Bombs. 

This is the inspiration for my Take-Off Technique.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Just wanted to add a comment to the collection here.  I found rolling at 50% propeller pitch helpful to get rolling in a straight line, particularly with the heavies.  Then, once I think I'm going straight down the runway I move to full pitch and power.  If I don't do this and my load is heavy, I find it very easy to veer off course and screw up my take off.  I hope this is helpful for someone.  Cheers.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

I think you arent managing your engine correctly and this leads to overheating then to damaging then to shut down of the engine.

For blue bombers (ju88, he111) you need to have a fairly decent understanding of the aircraft's limits before you fly it.  Otherwise, you'll be climbing at 200kmh (almost stalling) instead of the recommended 250kmh.  This is a common occurence I see with ppl flying blue bombers, they claim its really slow (which they are) but not as slow as theyve made it to be. 

That being said, you could also be overloading the aircraft by not adjusting fuel quantity.  If you take the 2x1800kg your max fuel capacity is really only about 60%.

For the 111, next time apply these settings immediately after lift off:

Throttle: 88%

RPM: 88%

Oil Radiator: 100%

Water Radiator: 100%

Flaps:0%

Trim: 0% (for all)

Lemme know if this works out for ya

Sorry, didn't realize that more replies had been made. After watching some videos and experimenting. I now take off at climb power and then go to 75% on engine and rpm to get to my target. Thank you for the extra advice tho :)

23 hours ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

I think you arent managing your engine correctly and this leads to overheating then to damaging then to shut down of the engine.

For blue bombers (ju88, he111) you need to have a fairly decent understanding of the aircraft's limits before you fly it.  Otherwise, you'll be climbing at 200kmh (almost stalling) instead of the recommended 250kmh.  This is a common occurence I see with ppl flying blue bombers, they claim its really slow (which they are) but not as slow as theyve made it to be. 

That being said, you could also be overloading the aircraft by not adjusting fuel quantity.  If you take the 2x1800kg your max fuel capacity is really only about 60%.

For the 111, next time apply these settings immediately after lift off:

Throttle: 88%

RPM: 88%

Oil Radiator: 100%

Water Radiator: 100%

Flaps:0%

Trim: 0% (for all)

Lemme know if this works out for ya

On 12/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, JG51_Beazil said:

Just wanted to add a comment to the collection here.  I found rolling at 50% propeller pitch helpful to get rolling in a straight line, particularly with the heavies.  Then, once I think I'm going straight down the runway I move to full pitch and power.  If I don't do this and my load is heavy, I find it very easy to veer off course and screw up my take off.  I hope this is helpful for someone.  Cheers.

Makes sense. After all, less rpm = less torque and both he111 engines spin in the same direction, so a lot of torque makes it harder to steer on the ground. 

Yup taking off with the 111 is not an esy thing in those frontline fields,  which I assume are all much shorter then what we would get in the larger western airports. To me the main point (besides all the info posted above concerning proper settings etc) is the ammount of fuel. The 111 had an operational range much longer than the BOX maps total width. You can easily complete any mission if you take off with 50% fuel, less even. The larger bombloads will still  be a problem though.... if only the runways were a little longer! 

I am looking foward to do some testing with the new boddenplatte maps, which I assume will have some longer runways.