November_Zulu

4K monitor on 3840 x 2160 frame rate increase help

I have a really nice machine, i7 8700k gtx 1080. I recently got a new 4K monitor and the game is breath taking and I want To do nothing else now. I can Finally see planes on the background and they don’t disappear into the scenery (compared to my previous 1280dpi monitor) and the frame rate is consistently 50-60 FPS. It drops occasionally to 40, all this is just a little bit too slow. I believe my settings are maxed out. 

I understand I can increase frame rate by increasing hardware capacity, decreasing graphic settings, or optimizing preexisting hardware. Can someone please help me identify the steps in these options? Can I increase Frame rate by getting more ram or do I need to look into getting SLI going? What is a good sequence of steps in trying to optimize my current hardware? And lastly, in what order should I decrease which graphics settings? Thank you. 

Set view distance to 40km and/or turn off the following: extreme grass and/or SSAO and/or extreme shadows and/or extreme clouds (that's my order of priority, yours may differ).

Also turning sharpness filter on somewhat helps to compensate for loss of quality in the previous step (the filter is in two places: one for the landscape which helps immensely, the other for the cockpit).

I was in the same predicament as you're now and the only partial but noticeable fix for me was upgrading to 1080 Ti. I am still awaiting the remaining parts (fasr CPU and RAM) so I can complete the rest of my new system.

• Like 1

Try going into nvidia settings menu,  and set transparency AA to "Off", also the general AA should be no higher then 2 not 4.  Turn off Full Screen(causes stutter in 4k due to windows in general)  and one pull down has option to turn on "max performance" not "balanced".  ALSO, DONT DO VSYNC THROUGH THE GAME MENU, only the nvidia setting menu.

Get rid of the SSAO also.

Sli works for this game but you should not need it for this game, your card should be sufficient. Shadow on medium is what i have always, there is little difference in reality to me visually.

Edited by TunaEatsLion
  • Like 1

Hi Zulu

My Friend has the same pcconfiguration and gets much more Frames. What a cable do you use from videocard to Monitor? 

Edited by ER*Wumme

23 minutes ago, ER*Wumme said:

Hi Zulu

My Friend has the same pcconfiguration and gets much more Frames. What a cable do you use from videocard to Monitor? 

I use the direct port or digi-port. I cant Remember the name atm. Do you know your friend’s hardware settings and also his game settings?

16 hours ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Try going into nvidia settings menu,  and set transparency AA to "Off", also the general AA should be no higher then 2 not 4.  Turn off Full Screen(causes stutter in 4k due to windows in general)  and one pull down has option to turn on "max performance" not "balanced".  ALSO, DONT DO VSYNC THROUGH THE GAME MENU, only the nvidia setting menu.

Get rid of the SSAO also.

Sli works for this game but you should not need it for this game, your card should be sufficient. Shadow on medium is what i have always, there is little difference in reality to me visually.

Thank you I will Give this a try when I have A minute

Crank up cpu to 5 GHz.  I use 3444x1440 and this game like fast clock speed , just alone gpu is not enough even this is just resolution scaling up.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:39 AM, November_Zulu said:

I use the direct port or digi-port. I cant Remember the name atm. Do you know your friend’s hardware settings and also his game settings?

Thank you I will Give this a try when I have A minute

Ok, need to give a small post correction.  After trying several options to smooth out gameplay on my 4k more, I came back to setting vsync on in game menu in windowed mode because it won't kick on any other way for me, and set it to "on" in nvidia menu.  I also turned off general AA, except for leaving fmaa and fxaa. Is quite smooth now.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:46 PM, 307_Tomcat said:

Crank up cpu to 5 GHz.  I use 3444x1440 and this game like fast clock speed , just alone gpu is not enough even this is just resolution scaling up.

this

@ 3.4 Ghz the fps was dropping on the deck and with shutter. OC at 4.4 fixed it. I also have GTX 1080 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:17 PM, TunaEatsLion said:

Ok, need to give a small post correction.  After trying several options to smooth out gameplay on my 4k more, I came back to setting vsync on in game menu in windowed mode because it won't kick on any other way for me, and set it to "on" in nvidia menu.  I also turned off general AA, except for leaving fmaa and fxaa. Is quite smooth now.

Okay. I’ll give this a try. What about the SSAO, should I still Get rid of it? Also is there a place where I can read up on what AA, vsync, fmaa and fxaa are and how they affect image and performance?

On 12/4/2018 at 12:30 AM, ATAG_dB said:

this

@ 3.4 Ghz the fps was dropping on the deck and with shutter. OC at 4.4 fixed it. I also have GTX 1080 

How do I OC it? Is there a place I can Read on it?

7 minutes ago, November_Zulu said:

Okay. I’ll give this a try. What about the SSAO, should I still Get rid of it? Also is there a place where I can read up on what AA, vsync, fmaa and fxaa are and how they affect image and performance?

How do I OC it? Is there a place I can Read on it?

I suggest you fly over a city and then take a screenshot (click "Print" button on the keyboard) with SSAO turned-on and then with SSAO turned-off (the images will go to "Screenshots" sub-folder in your il2 folder).

Then compare the two images side by side to see if you are okay with the difference. Rinse and repeat. Only you can decide.