Sign in to follow this  
Sybreed

Phlydaily played IL-2 today

I'm not promoting his channel or anything, but I think it's pretty cool that he started playing IL-2 now that he has Thrusmaster gear. He's a pretty big youtuber (almost 700k subscribers) who plays mainly War Thunder, but I think he'll enjoy IL-2 a lot. I think this is good for the visibility of the game honestly.

Edited by Sybreed
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

he was pretty good, at cooking his engines... But yeah, really glad he got IL2 a go. It should get some new eyes on the product :)

He's a meme at best. I guess he could bring the younger crowd in.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Warpig said:

He's a meme at best. I guess he could bring the younger crowd in.

here hoping, the young blood hopefully finds simmimg as good as the old one and trades their jetpacks and shovels for a bf109 or yak1 wing :)

I thought I saw videos by a guy with the same name when the game was first released...

1 minute ago, E4GLEyE said:

here hoping, the young blood hopefully finds simmimg as good as the old one and trades their jetpacks and shovels for a bf109 or yak1 wing :)

You know. When I was younger, it was my dream to someday have a joystick and flight sim. It wasn't until in my 30's that my dream was realized.

I'm just really surprised that flight sims haven't caught on more, especially in the North America. Sims seem a lot more popular in Europe.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Warpig said:

You know. When I was younger, it was my dream to someday have a joystick and flight sim. It wasn't until in my 30's that my dream was realized.

I'm just really surprised that flight sims haven't caught on more, especially in the North America. Sims seem a lot more popular in Europe.

No instant gratification.  Modern flight sims take time, much more so than the old Red Baron and Aces series.  I'm not trying to be snarky either, as there are plenty of times I want to just spark up some easy entertainment.  

I think a big reason is also the flight sim genre's obscurity. Marketing for new Il-2 expansions is mostly newsletters to exisiting customers and word of mouth between simmers. Barely any articles by gaming journalism sites, either. Just Tim Stone from Rock Paper Shotgun mentioning this game maybe twice a year. Video games in general have a huge media built around them these days (think of large conventions like E3 and Gamescom where all the big developers showcase their upcoming games), while flight sims exist in this little office down a badly-lit corridor where few people happen to wander by.

That awesome new DCS Tomcat trailer got enough attention from the public to reach more "mainstream"  video game and tech-journalism sites, and that's a rare thing to happen.

Add to that the drama from when BoS first came out,  bad steam reviews from people who often only play for less than an hour and refund, and sometimes outright slander from devoted DCS, Cliffs of Dover or 1946 fans who keep saying how the modern IL2 is slightly above War Thunder in flight models or that German planes are somehow unfairly biased against.

Good on Phly for coming back to this game, I hope he'll like it enough to stay and spread awareness about it to his large viewerbase. Looking at the comments on his video, general opinion seems to be "yesss more IL2 please", which is certainly encouraging 🙂

Edited by Sotka94
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Nah, I doubt theres gonna be much more from Phly. He's a WT 'tuber at heart. Thats where he gets most of his views. I unsubbed from him a while back because I got fed up with WT, and since thats pretty much all he posts these days, I saw no point in continuing to watch him.

Heck, he played DCS once before as well... key word is "once" here. Afaik, he never touched it again, even though a good number of people, including myself, wanted to see more DCS stuff. Guess he figured WT was more important...

I personally don't like his video style. I prefer Sherrif and Bismark but when I want to watch the younger crowd, Bo is lots of fun. He's primarily WT but his IL2 videos are great fun.

• Upvote 1

SideStrafe was doing Il-2 for a litte bit, got proficient enough to go on WOL and actually shot somebody down. Then some !#%!^@ dragged him into the DCS abyss where he then floundered then gave up on it. :(

• Upvote 1

No concept of stall speed and energy managment... - Yup, definitely a War Thunder flyer. 🙂

• Upvote 1

This is fantastic news. If he does this on a regular basis he could revolutionize the multiplayer numbers and give the company a surge of cash that would speed development.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kitsunelegend said:

Nah, I doubt theres gonna be much more from Phly. He's a WT 'tuber at heart. Thats where he gets most of his views. I unsubbed from him a while back because I got fed up with WT, and since thats pretty much all he posts these days, I saw no point in continuing to watch him.

Heck, he played DCS once before as well... key word is "once" here. Afaik, he never touched it again, even though a good number of people, including myself, wanted to see more DCS stuff. Guess he figured WT was more important...

If your job is to make youtube videos, and your audience is based around war thunder, then financially making a lot of content on other games doesn't make a lot of sense. 

On 11/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, Warpig said:

It requires specialized hardware to play flight sims which adds a player barrier to entry, and the developer must develop their own engine which adds a developer barrier to entry.

A sec team can license an off the shelf engine for an fps, but if you take a look, most of the major flight sim games are based on in-house engines. Only the Il-2 engine ended up partially franchising, and while it was a fantastic engine in its time, only a handful of non-Il-2 titles were based on it. 

With the parallel demise of the space combat games and the transition of Big Stompy Robot games to FPS control schemes, the overall ecosystem for stick and pedal games is very very thin. That's part of the reason I hope the team gets solid mouse control put together. 

Also, when flying for an audience, external view just seems to work better. If you looks at the movies, they only use inside the cockpit views for showing what's going on in the pikot's head or conveying confusion or the chaos of battle. The action shots, however are almost always external. 

We can focus on immersion and realism, but a YouTuber is making videos that need to be understandable to their current and future viewing audience. 

Edited by Voyager

On 11/30/2018 at 11:27 AM, Freycinet said:

No concept of stall speed and energy managment... - Yup, definitely a War Thunder flyer. 🙂

it was probably his first time playing the game... give the guy a break ahah

I think its great and I hope he continues. I do hope that it draws in at least a small percentage of his viewers. But his bread and butter will always be more mainstream fast action games considering he is making a living as a youtuber.

I myself found out about this game watching Bismarcks old WT videos and then saw he had some IL2 videos so I cant help to think that its only a good thing that he is doing it. Those videos made me get a joystick for the first time in 20 years and started first with WT "simulation" mode and then now here I am, sucking at IL2 lol.

I still turn to WT for tank gameplay, and thats what Phly mostly does videos on nowadays. I dont see it being all that different from IL2 Tank Crew, so maybe he will spend more time there eventually. Honestly cant wait for it to be finished so I dont have to turn to such lows as to fire up WT to scratch my itch.