Jason_Williams

Who lives in London, England???

Hey guys,

Ok so no car this trip, just tube and Uber for me this trip. Oyster card is on the way. I'll be prepared. If anyone is in London or near London on Thursday Dec. 20th that would be the best evening to have some beers. Let me know if you're interested. Hanging out with me is not exactly a life altering experience, but it would be fun to meet some of you guys in the UK. :salute:

Jason

• Thanks 3

I was at the museum a few months ago! Very cool. I would be very interested but am the other end of the country on the 20th :( 

46916782_310664369540398_141743378285985

47092742_493826937780552_199602513958980

46982089_220689072206424_859368041336746

47159893_1968235236598175_87286102641250

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Jason_Williams I have lived in London all my life.

A car is not genrally a good idea for central London but the museum is not in the centre so it will probably be a £30 taxi (one way) from the centre. You may want to consider a rental for just one day as it will cost about the same as a taxi. We also have somthing called ZipCar which is an hourly car rental service which is very convenient/cheap.

The tube takes about an hour from the centre but the station is a ten min walk from the museum, you want the Northern line (black colour on the map) to Colindale station. Buses will be a nightmare but the 303 goes to the front door of the museum. 

In terms of a hotel, you can pay anything really. If you want  cheap but clean comfortable no thrills kinda deal look for a "Premier Inn". If you are wanting to see some sights I would suggest staying around the Waterloo area as that puts you in the middle of everything with great transport links. If you are flying in and out and not doing any sight seeing I would suggest a hotel near the airport (if Heathrow not if Gatwick) as the museum is relatively easy to get to from there.

You need an Oyster card, buses do not except cash and the que for tube tickets will be long. You can go into most corner shops to add money to it or you can link it to a debit/credit card.

Avoid travelling at rush hour (8-9am and 4-6 pm) unless you want to age quicker.

Be warned a pint in the centre will be very expensive, lol well everything is expensive. 

Most areas in the centre a safe but do not walk around looking at your phone without paying attention to your surroundings as there has been a new craze of people snaching phones from mopeds.

If you want any detailed info give me a pm.

1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:

AeroAce,

See my post above. All figured out.

Jason

Cool 

4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Hey guys,

Ok so no car this trip, just tube and Uber for me this trip. Oyster card is on the way. I'll be prepared. If anyone is in London or near London on Thursday Dec. 20th that would be the best evening to have some beers. Let me know if you're interested. Hanging out with me is not exactly a life altering experience, but it would be fun to meet some of you guys in the UK. :salute:

Jason

Haha - actually hanging out with you is a blast...so there...:cool:

On 11/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, AeroAce said:

The tube takes about an hour from the centre but the station is a ten min walk from the museum, you want the Northern line (black colour on the map) to Colindale station. Buses will be a nightmare but the 303 goes to the front door of the museum. 

It's max 30min from Charing Cross to Colindale. Bus 303 (the best number for a bus going to RAF museum) goes to the front door but also visits all the neighbourhoods in 5mil radius before it gets you to the museum. It's literally quicker to walk from the station than taking a bus.

Edited by marklar

4 hours ago, marklar said:

It's max 30min from Charing Cross to Colindale. Bus 303 (the best number for a bus going to RAF museum) goes to the front door but also visits all the neighbourhoods in 5mil radius before it gets you to the museum. It's literally quicker to walk from the station than taking a bus.

Was doing the trip on Google planer and it said the whole trip from Waterloo was an hour including the walk. I guess the thing that I wanted to convey was that even though it is called " RAF museum london", the museum is not in the centre, and London is a big ass place. 

• Thanks 1

20th would work for me, how cool is that :)

will check here if and figure out later where Jason you'll be able to meet some of us

Try and get in touch with Jonathon Wagstaff (Waggaz) I am fairly sure he lives near there. FB might be your friend for that. S

Guys,

I'm staying in the Kensington area. So if there is a pub anywhere not to far from there we can meet that would be good. I don't mind quiet pubs and I don't need anything fancy.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Great to hear that you're hopping across the pond. I work in both the US and UK (now live in suburban London). As it happens my employer is one of your partners. 

I'd be happy to suggest beer locations and buy a round or two. There are a couple of very civilised pubs on the river in Putney 10m tube ride down from Kensington on the District Line like the Duke's Head https://www.dukesheadputney.com/. Kensington isn't the best place for a nice quiet pint as it's mostly tourists and embassies.

Drop me a message if you'd like a warm or cold brew.

Hey - not sure which tube station you're near but if its' Gloucester Rd the Stanhope is right across the street. But quiet, yah, you might want to branch a ways away from Kensington for that. Might be quieter in Dec though...

Tube is best and for a few beers go to convent gardens .

Use Airbnb to get good rates on accommodation . Or try holiday inns or travel lodges hotels . Good rate country wide . 

London is very very expensive . Best to get a room near the musium . 

Visit the War museum in London not to be missed .

Also Duxford museum if you have the time .

Edited by II./JG77_Con
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, II./JG77_Con said:

Tube is best and for a few beers go to convent gardens .

Con is the man with the right idea. Covent gardens is absolutely the place to be for a few bevvies with the boys. Good times.

• Upvote 1

Hey Jason, how about some feedback on your trip?

35 minutes ago, Elem said:

Hey Jason, how about some feedback on your trip?

Let the man do the trip first, It´s not Thursday Dec. 20th yet 😉

I've booked my train ticket, I should be arriving at London Liverpool street about 16:20 and need to be back there by 23:30 for the journey home. So I should have plenty of time to get Jason shitfaced with beer and whiskey chasers ;)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, =11=Herne said:

plenty of time to get Jason shitfaced with beer and whiskey chasers ;)

Like a dream come true 😇

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pierre64 said:

Like a dream come true 😇

got any burning questions ? I'll see if I can sneak one into a casual conversation lol !

If you do any sightseeing outside of London, I highly recommend the Tank Museum in Bovington (write it off as research for Tank Crew!). I'm guessing it's about a 2 hour drive from London. As a Yank I drove there from Portsmouth just last year. I was actually driving a manual transmission of all things (shifter on the left), and was surprised how quickly I got used to it. Rent the smallest car possible, as the hardest part about driving in England are the extremely narrow roads. 

Edited by Porkins

44 minutes ago, Porkins said:

as the hardest part about driving in England are the extremely narrow roads. 

Yes, but they're not busy...

M1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Elem said:

Yes, but they're not busy...

I had to edit my post from highway to roads. I thought highway driving in England was pretty easy. The sheer terror came when I got off the highway and drove the back roads, a drive I assumed would be a piece of cake. Specifically, I was driving from Bovington to Bath. 

I'm on the wrong side of the road (for me), wrong side of the car (with a stick no less), some surprisingly steep grades, and negotiating traffic circles backwards. It was scary stuff. The worst part was the narrowness of the roads and the fact that the "shoulder" was often a series of houses or a stone wall! The roads also felt busy compared to a rural US highway. My wife and kids tell me the countryside on the drive was just lovely, I wouldn't know. I was too busy trying not to kill the whole family. 

Bath, BTW, was wonderful. My wife and I are seriously looking at it as a retirement option someday. Pretty pricey real estate though. Not London pricey, but not cheap! 

Edited by Porkins
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Porkins said:

Bath, BTW, was wonderful. My wife and I are seriously looking at it as a retirement option someday. 

That's were I and my family originate from. My Mother was "in service" with Lord Longleat in the 1930s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Porkins said:

Bath, BTW, was wonderful. My wife and I are seriously looking at it as a retirement option someday. Pretty pricey real estate though. Not London pricey, but not cheap! 

Glad you liked Bath, although I had to move out because of the property prices. Nine miles away now; all the money I saved on the house move has gone in bus fares back to Bath! Or so it seems. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Porkins said:

I had to edit my post from highway to roads. I thought highway driving in England was pretty easy. The sheer terror came when I got off the highway and drove the back roads, a drive I assumed would be a piece of cake. Specifically, I was driving from Bovington to Bath. 

I'm on the wrong side of the road (for me), wrong side of the car (with a stick no less), some surprisingly steep grades, and negotiating traffic circles backwards. It was scary stuff. The worst part was the narrowness of the roads and the fact that the "shoulder" was often a series of houses or a stone wall! The roads also felt busy compared to a rural US highway. My wife and kids tell me the countryside on the drive was just lovely, I wouldn't know. I was too busy trying not to kill the whole family. 

Bah, its not a true back road unless there's grass growing in the middle of it!

2 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Glad you liked Bath, although I had to move out because of the property prices. Nine miles away now; all the money I saved on the house move has gone in bus fares back to Bath! Or so it seems. Cheers.

Do you still ever make it back to Minster Cat? If so, i'm sure a pint in the Saddlers would be in order!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Do you still ever make it back to Minster Cat? If so, i'm sure a pint in the Saddlers would be in order!

Certainly do. Although I tend to pop into the Hairy Dog these days, especially while the Saddlers was having its 'problems'. Definitely game for a pint though - I'll be in touch. :drinks:

• Like 1

I have several lasting memories of driving the motorways with my then fiance (now wife) in the UK, we traveled from London up the east to St Andrew's, with a detour via Cambridge and various airplane museums back in 91.

The first was having a Tornado (not the wind kind) landing parallel with us.

The confusion of the figure 8 style roundabouts, continually missing the exit I actually wanted to take, after a while I just considered the first two circuits as practice runs. 

But the the number one memory was a stage when the wife was driving, we were in a Ford Fiesta, and I noticed it was making one hell of a racket, so I asked what gear she was in and she replied "top, but I cant even make 90", it was at this point that I had to remind her that the speedo was in MPH not KMPH :P

The fact that nearly everything else was in imperial measurements, but you still bought petrol by the Litre may have been a contributing factor to the above situation.   

Edited by spudkopf
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Guys,

I leave for London tomorrow. Be there Monday till Friday morning. Please make a post if you’re down for Thursday evening. Although I will have a couple beers I won’t get shitfaced. I have to leave in the morning and it’s a long flight to be hungover. 

See some of you soon. 

Jason

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I leave for London tomorrow. Be there Monday till Friday morning. Please make a post if you’re down for Thursday evening. Although I will have a couple beers I won’t get shitfaced. I have to leave in the morning and it’s a long flight to be hungover. 

See some of you soon. 

Jason

Safe journeys. Get good pics of Tempest and beer drinkers!   :salute:

Jason - just sent you a PM. I'll be whizzing around the skies above west london in a 152 in the afternoon and will be about for beers in the evening.