Jason_Williams

Who lives in London, England???

Guys,

I've gained access to the Tempest at the RAF museum for research purposes. I want to come document it myself with my camera so nothing gets missed. So, I need suggestions on where to stay in or near London. I will have a little time to see the sights, but not too much. It would be great to meet some of you while there. I assume the weather will suck, it sucks in Moscow too so that part is normal for my travels. Need suggestions guys and if anyone wants to help me get around and have a couple pints. I could rent a car, but damn you drive on the wrong side! I would be an accident waiting to happen. 

Your suggestions are welcome.

Jason

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I could rent a car, but damn you drive on the wrong side! I would be an accident waiting to happen. 

Nah not worth renting a car in London, bus or tube will get you wherever you need to go for less money and way faster in the case of the tube. 

4 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I'm from the suburbs of SoCal. I'm allergic to tubes. LOL

Jason

trust me driving in London is absolutely horrible and the tube is pretty good. 

• Like 2

I've spent a couple of weeks in London and the tube is great.  That's from a midwesterner too!  

Just remember, mind the gap!

Honestly the tube is part of the whole London experience plus their is a station on the northern line pretty close to the RAF museum. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ACG_Nightrise said:

Honestly the tube is part of the whole London experience plus their is a station on the northern line pretty close to the RAF museum. 

I'm just kidding. Of course I'll try to take the tube. There is also Uber etc.

Jason

Great to hear about you getting access, I assume this will help the timeline on the tempest? It's the plane I'm looking forward to most out of the boddenplatte set, followed closely by the p38 and me262

I was suprised how clean and organized London tube was, and i don't like public transport myself.

My vote goes on tube and Camden pale ale!

My uncle was on Typhoons so I'm really looking forward to taking the Tempest up for a blast!

Happy photo shoot Jason!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Great news on getting access to document the Tempest!! I'm sure it wasn't easy. 

I'm sure you'll take lots of pictures of the Me262 as well as the Mosquito 😉

• Upvote 1

Well done!!! I stayed in Kensington when I was there in Oct. Very cool area, I was near the Gloucester Rd tube station and my solo trip to Colindale where the museum is was super easy - plus the Stanhope pub is right there as well....😎

Edited by gn728

I will be very surprised if you dont get a plethora of players offering you accommodation.

• Upvote 1

Hey Jason. 

I live in London and have been to RAF Hendon before. PMing you. 

Edited by Mewt
  • Upvote 1

I'm about an hour from London by train. I'd be tempted to come and have a beer or two if you happen to be in London over a weekend.

Jason, how did you change the museums mind ? I thought they had already turned you down previously ?

Edited by =11=Herne

6 hours ago, =11=Herne said:

I'm about an hour from London by train. I'd be tempted to come and have a beer or two if you happen to be in London over a weekend.

Jason, how did you change the museums mind ? I thought they had already turned you down previously ?

They didn't turn me down outright, they just did not follow through. Community member EAF19_Marsh (Ed) was dogged in his help to get me access. We had all kinds of emails being bounced and generally poor communication between myself and the museum folks, but Ed was the indispensable cog in the wheel that made it happen. Was no magic or charm on my part. Thank Ed. I forgot to mention him in my original post, but he was the hero! Let's hope my trip really helps the model team.

Jason

• Like 12

I'm in Cambridge, only 45 mins on the train from London (and 15 min drive from IMW Duxford if you've got a spare day @Jason_Williams). If beers are a thing, I'd love to come join!

14 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

They didn't turn me down outright, they just did not follow through. Community member EAF19_Marsh (Ed) was dogged in his help to get me access. We had all kinds of emails being bounced and generally poor communication between myself and the museum folks, but Ed was the indispensable cog in the wheel that made it happen. Was no magic or charm on my part. Thank Ed. I forgot to mention him in my original post, but he was the hero! Let's hope my trip really helps the model team.

They were not exactly the most helpful or forward people, but looks like they will let Jason take the pics he needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

I don't live there but I did recently visit.  If you are staying in London a car is a complete waste.  London underground is a great system and trains can be caught to further destinations. 

We rented an AirBnB that worked out really well.  It was a three room flat about 15 minute walk from the tube.  

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you have a successful and enjoyable visit Jason.

Big thank you to EAF19_Marsh :)

Happy landings,

Talisman

Seconded for the tube. If you’re flying in to Heathrow you can rely on the tube for all your transport to and from the airport as well. Other airports are well-connected by rail so there’s no need for a car at all. 

If you’re thinking of places to stay, somewhere in West London like Kensington gets you easier access to Hendon and also means you’re marginally less likely to have your phone nicked by some wee ballbags on a moped. 

If we 're all going for a pint then I'm in! Hope that it's a productive visit to the museum. :drinks:

• Upvote 1

Glad you finally got your invite Jason, you will love the museum at Hendon.:cool:

The one other place you must see is Duxford if you get the chance, outside of London but not too far, it is the home of UK Warbirds and part of it is dedicated to American service personnel and their aircraft.

It is a active airfield during and outside of the show season but if any of the workshops are opened up it will make your day to get a peak if allowed, still part of the IWM but many private aircraft around in various states of build/repair, not been myself now for many years so not exactly sure of entry times or anything.

I have always driven and that is around a 250 mile or so trip one way from where I am, from London there must surely be a train connection nearby, maybe someone can advise.

Enjoy.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:57 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Just was in Britain last weekend. Easiest way to move is via Underground. If going to Hendon use Northern line and do not step out at Hendon Central but Colinsdale, next station after. From there a few minutes walk to the museum. Well shown with signs and posters. If going to Duxford we used a train from King´s Cross St. Pancras. Took the fast train to Ely, left at Cambridge. From there not far to Duxford. Worth visiting! 

Here's some notes I was given last month - they were a very big help - also- lol- pick up an Oyster Card - you're gonna need it... :cool:

One thing to keep in mind is to get on the Northern Line train to Edgeware, there are two branches of the Northern line. So, Colindale is on the Edgeware branch. I've been to Hendon twice, but have yet to see Duxford..some time I will. Last year, at Hendon,  I managed to  see a flypast of a Spit and a Hurricane:

I think people are overselling the tube a bit,  it can be dirty,  but they are right that it is the best way to visit Hendon and people in central London that bother owning cars only use them to travel out of London.  Taxis are fine in the centre but Buses & Tubes are the main form of transport within Greater London.

If you stay in Central London and end up with spare time,  the Science Museum in Kensington has an Aviation Gallery. I am not sure what is there at the moment as I have not visited for a while.

Jason, If you have the time I thoroughly recommend a visit to Imperial War Museum Duxford near Cambridge. It isn't too far out of London and it houses a fantastic collection of aircraft including a hanger full of US aircraft from across the years.

I'm sure that you're aware of the importance of RAF Duxford during the war years, including the fact that it was home to the first ever full squadron of Spitfires No. 19 Squadron in 1938).

When you're at Hendon don't forget to put a couple of hours by to look around the Graham White factory! 

A Hendon meet up would be rather awesome for locals.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:18 AM, JimTM said:

My uncle was on Typhoons so I'm really looking forward to taking the Tempest up for a blast!

Happy photo shoot Jason!

Cheers!

That's interesting.  Do you know what squadron your uncle served in?  I'm also looking forward to the Tempest, as it's the closest I'll get to flying its sister aircraft the Typhoon.  I've suggested the Devs add it to their collection. 

Jason could check out the Typhoon at Hendon.  That's if it's back on display after being four years in Canada, although the last I heard it was at RAF Coningsby.  I've emailed Hendon inquiring of its whereabouts.  I want to see it myself, as it's become my favourite aircraft after researching the service record of a friend's grandfather who flew one during WW2.

Edited by Jabo_68*

24 minutes ago, Jabo_68* said:

That's interesting.  Do you know what squadron your uncle served in?  I'm also looking forward to the Tempest, as it's the closest I'll get to flying its sister aircraft the Typhoon.  I've suggested the Devs add it to their collection. 

He was in 181 squadron.

20 minutes ago, JimTM said:

He was in 181 squadron.

Thanks, JimTM.  181 was the first Typhoon bomber squadron formed in 1942 at Duxford.  

My friend's grandfather served in 183 and 164 squadrons.  F/LT  Arthur Napier was killed in action in 1944 during the battle of Normandy.

Edited by Jabo_68*
more info

I really hope Jason might be able to additionally get some cockpit shots of the Typhoon. Just in case that one might hopefully be a collectors item. Usage and relevance of the Typhoon is out of question for the games timeframe. It was THE 2nd TAF groundpounder and it would be a pity to not have it in the game.

2 hours ago, Jabo_68* said:

Thanks, JimTM.  181 was the first Typhoon bomber squadron formed in 1942 at Duxford.  

My friend's grandfather served in 183 and 164 squadrons.  F/LT  Arthur Napier was killed in action in 1944 during the battle of Normandy.

A sad loss for your friend's family Jabo_68. My uncle was hit by flak and badly burned in a crash but was patched up in East Grinstead and passed on in 1975. It's good to pause now and then from our enjoyment of combat flight sims and think about what the actual pilots from all sides went through.

Really pleased that you have access Jason. 

I was recently at Hendon, my reason for going was that, Il2 had stimulated my interest again in wwll aircraft. 

It’s a good museum, enjoy your time here. 

• Upvote 1

Drove to a Hotel in London (not really in the center but still in the city) with my own Car (from Switzerland). I can tell you it's an absolute horror. Dryving outside of the big city isn't that much of a problem even with a Car that has the weel on the right side altho it takes much more concentration. The only thing that ofsets the stress of dryfing in the city is looking over at people at the red lights and seing theyre faces when you sit right next to them. 

• Haha 1