Jason_Williams

Who lives in London, England???

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Haza said:

So that's what the Irish gave to the World, as I always assumed it to be the Scottish!!

Distillation goes back to the ancient Greeks and the Italians with our Italian friends first distilling wine. primarily for use as a medicinal tonic. "Aqua vitae", spirit alcohol became widespread throughout Europe in the 15th century. There is mention in Ireland of "aqua vitae" being drunk by an Irish chieftain (the dram killed him!) about 70 to 80 years before mention of malt whisky production in Scotland. One could argue that aqua vitae and a good single malt are not one and the same ;)

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

15 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Of course the Irish were the first to produce whiskey (with an e), one of our best creations. Whiskey is the anglicised mangling of the original name in Irish, or as we say here "'as gaeilge", Uisce beatha. ''Uisce''  (pronounced as iska) in Irish means water, and ''beatha'' means life. So the word for whiskey in Irish means the water of life, I think that tells you all you need to know. Redbreast is a premium Irish whiskey, but pricey.

Sláinte

Of course if you want the real hard stuff here, you can get poitín, which is the granddaddy of them all. Distilled illegally for centuries, you can still get it on the quiet. There have been a number of Irish distillers who have obtained a licence to produce it in the last few years, but there is still old lads doing it on the side. As well as it`s renowned potency for drinking, it`s also used as a muscle rub by people, both for themselves and often given to race horses and coursing/greyhounds. Serious stuff and up to 90% proof, if doesn`t kill you, it`ll cure you.

I always preferred Jameson to Scotch, since I do not like the taste of peat. I have to assume, however, that the very peaty taste of Scotch is more like ancient Irish whiskey than the smoother Jameson taste, given that the ancient Irish did not have natural gas kilns. 

I would rather have a brandy than either, or a very dry gin Martini.  But as I am doing the dry January thing to re-calibrate my intake and lose a little weight, at the time of writing I would happily glug down any of these!

Lol I made one little joke about US beer and it has led to all this.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Distillation goes back to the ancient Greeks and the Italians with our Italian friends first distilling wine. primarily for use as a medicinal tonic. "Aqua vitae", spirit alcohol became widespread throughout Europe in the 15th century. There is mention in Ireland of "aqua vitae" being drunk by an Irish chieftain (the dram killed him!) about 70 to 80 years before mention of malt whisky production in Scotland. One could argue that aqua vitae and a good single malt are not one and the same ;)

It's still distilled from the wine (leftovers from grape when making wine).

Grappa, rakija or raki!

It can be drank pure as that or adding all kind of fruits or herbs in it for different tastes and as we still like to say use it in medical purpose again by drinking it ;) or adding pure grappa/rakija on flesh wound if medical alcohol is not available.

Pure grappa/rakija of lower quality is also used to wash windows as our elders learned us :)

Still i like to sipp down my throat once in a while few drops of blue label mr.Walker!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Distillation was likely picked up by Irish monks that traveled to the region around the Mediterranean, and Egypt. There it was used to produce perfume, the Irish likely put it to a much better use. There were many connections with early Irish Celtic Christianity and the Coptic church in Egypt. The Irish Monks followed the teachings of the Desert Father`s, but unlike the Coptic`s who exiled themselves in the desert, the Irish had only the desert of the sea and exiled themselves to places like Skellig Michael for a life of quiet compilation. Evidence of that connection can be seen in an eight century vellum manuscript that was found almost intact in a bog in Tipperary. Now known as the Faddan More Psalter, it`s on display in the National Museum of Ireland. Papyrus originating from Egypt was found in the binding of the book. The Atlantic fringe was a highway in the past for goods, commerce, culture etc., well known and well used by the Irish who traveled around it and into the Mediterranean.

Ireland has a long history with the Mediterranean, and the connection to northern Spain being quiet strong. The Milesians, the Irish Gael`s in the Leabhar Gabhála (Irish Book of Invasions) originate from Galicia, which is still a celtic part of Spain today with it`s own language, similar music etc. Genetically the Irish are closest to the Basques and Galicians of the northern Iberian peninsula. Ireland was likely settled as the last glaciation retreated, from part of that remnant population that survived in a pocket in or around the northern part of Spain during that glacial period. Genetic markers from Irish fauna are Spanish in origin, the Irish Badger has a Spanish origin while the British variety does not, This Spanish connection is replicated widely in many other species.

http://www.seandalaiocht.com/blog1/papyrus-fragments-found-with-ancient-irish-bog-book

15 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I always preferred Jameson to Scotch, since I do not like the taste of peat. I have to assume, however, that the very peaty taste of Scotch is more like ancient Irish whiskey than the smoother Jameson taste, given that the ancient Irish did not have natural gas kilns. 

I would rather have a brandy than either, or a very dry gin Martini.  But as I am doing the dry January thing to re-calibrate my intake and lose a little weight, at the time of writing I would happily glug down any of these!

There are Irish peat whiskey`s as well, as we have no shortage of it in Ireland http://www.kilbeggandistillingcompany.com/our-brands/connemara.

But Irish whiskey is generally more refined by being triple distilled, developing a smoother whiskey. Irish whiskey was the biggest selling whiskey in the world by far pre 1920. The War of Independence and the following economic war with Britain saw a lot of the distilleries close and opened the door to the Scottish variety. I`ve no doubt that Irish Whiskey will have a good run at knocking the Scots of their perch. It`s already growing leaps and bounds with a a lot of new distilleries going into operation. 

Edited by Wulfen

I wonder...  Did Jason have a look at the only surviving Ki-84 while he was there?

I noticed that the stickied General Discussion topic about the Pacific has been deleted too. 

12 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I too am quite worried about this turn of events.

My guess is as BoBP progresses nicely, they get us updated somewhen in Q1/2019 as to their future plans and what they have in the pipeline. In the past they did always overdeliver.

Just now, sevenless said:

My guess is as BoBP progresses nicely, they get us updated somewhen in Q1/2019 as to their future plans and what they have in the pipeline. In the past they did always overdeliver.

Perhaps next is Operation Bagration?

14 minutes ago, Haza said:

Well as much as I would love to see it, the pure gain in terrain during this offensive (22.06.1944-29.08.1944), make it unlikely for me that this could get modelled adequately in the game. If they manage to do it, I´d applaud for sure. From Mogilev to Minsk it is 229km; from Vitebsk to Vilnius it is 355km. Would be very nice to have all that on the map, but I suspect it is unlikely to happen.

On the other hand, for this timeframe, we could get a lot of fancy VVS planes, which make it cristal clear, that the VVS is the superior force by 1944. I would certainly not vote against it.

Let´s see what they have in their back-hand for us in Q1/2019. I guess we wont be dissapointed.

8 hours ago, sevenless said:

I´m also curious. Having closed the PTO part of the board for discussion hints that this scenario is on hold for the time being ?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/106-pacific-theater-discussion-and-assistance/

8 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I too am quite worried about this turn of events.

8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I noticed that the stickied General Discussion topic about the Pacific has been deleted too. 

Yup it is not good sign, while i see no reason for PTO delay thread staying in General discussion (word delay is no good for business and marketing).

Good thing there is still forum sub-section for PTO assistance, even partly locked.

Jason recently said that they are focused on current titles in development having no time to discuss next installament but it would be nice if he give us few words about it, i mean if he knows that PTO won't be next for sure.

Anyway summer will be here in no time and by then i guess he'll enlighten us.

15 hours ago, Haza said:

Oh lordy!  Please no......

• Upvote 1