Sign in to follow this  
passion

GPU upgrade no effect in VR

Hello,

I just upgraded my GPU from 1060 to 1070ti.

I was under the impression that I will get decent frame rate. I had around 40 FPS with my rift with high  settings.

After the replacement I have the same framerate which is disappointing.

I also experienced strange screen lag in the hmd when I upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers, so I rolled back to 397.93 which is smooth again.

No overclock so far with the gpu and Benchmarks show it performs as it should.

My CPU is i5 4570 could this be the a bottleneck?

Thanks

AFAIK VR is very demanding, hardware wise.....CPU is a bit on the weak side for the VR and also even the 1070ti isnt the best option but should be enough....bear in mind that after the last update the MP servers are experiencing a lots of stutters/slowdowns but FPS should be as before or even better...

Edited by blackram

4 hours ago, passion said:

It certainly is. Take a look at these benchmark results. Il-2 is CPU-bound. The i5-4570 is awful because it only reaches 3.6 GHz and therefore has poor single thread performance.

4 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It certainly is. Take a look at these benchmark results. Il-2 is CPU-bound. The i5-4570 is awful because it only reaches 3.6 GHz and therefore has poor single thread performance.

Nope, its far from awful. Its not so good for VR thats all. Im running 1060 with G4560 (modern pentium with 2 physical cores and 4 virtual on 3.6 Ghz with HT) it runs flawlessly on 60Hz monitor and 1080p, no VR, just head tracking.

Edited by blackram
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blackram said:

Nope, its far from awful. Its not so good for VR thats all. Im running 1060 with G4560 (modern pentium with 2 physical cores and 4 virtual on 3.6 Ghz with HT) it runs flawlessly on 60Hz monitor and 1080p, no VR, just head tracking.

It's AWFUL for VR. Which is what this guys trying to play. So yes in this case it's a terrible cpu and absolutely causing his low frame rates. You might be able to find a cheap used K series cpu that can be put in your motherboard series and then you can overclock it and get much better results, 4.5ghz is mandatory IMO.

16 hours ago, passion said:

I just upgraded my GPU from 1060 to 1070ti.

Unfortunately, yes, the CPU is a bottleneck. The 1080 is about the sweet spot for IL2 in VR, so your 1070ti is very close to optimal. If you can, maybe you can improve your CPU.

If you can't, I would advise to start with Balanced settings, Medium shadows, 2x AA and 1.1 supersample. There are many threads in the VR sub-forum with people who have tweaked their settings. Try reading some of those to see how to diagnose problems. You might be stuck with 45 FPS ASW mode (but I use that mode and I think it's fine).

Hi All,

Thanks for the advises.

Actually I upgraded to 8700K to get better frames rates.

I'm disappointed because it's still 40-60 fps. when there is an activity it the frame rate drops.

It seems that graphics settings changes makes no different no lower or higher frame rates.

I'll try to OC the CPU later but so far I get the same user experience with i7 8700K and 1070ti as with the i5 4570 and 1060.

That's strange.

I'll dig into the VR topics.

8 hours ago, passion said:

Actually I upgraded to 8700K to get better frames rates.

I'm disappointed because it's still 40-60 fps. when there is an activity it the frame rate drops.

Here are some things to check:

• SteamVR and Oculus Tray Tool disagree on how to set supersample for the Rift. Only use supersampling in one place, not both. I think SteamVR is such a piece of crap that I am using Open Composite instead, to bypass SteamVR. This might help you out. Even when I was using SteamVR I forced it to 100% supersample (= 1.0 pixel density).
  • Use Oculus Tray Tool to check actual pixel density in the Rift. Set "debug HUD" to "pixel density" then look in the headset. For basic testing you want it to say 1.0 pixel density. If it's saying anything else, SteamVR or Oculus Tray Tool have set your supersample. Try changing those settings.
  • If you really are running 1.0 pixel density and still not happy with performance, use Oculus Tray Tool to set "performance" HUD. You're looking for CPU and GPU frame times. You need both to be under 11ms for 90 FPS display. In single player you should be able to get 90 FPS in a quick mission at 5,000 meters on any map other than Kuban.
  • If your CPU frame times are over 11ms, you need to either overclock your CPU or reduce CPU load by lowering the graphics preset and shadows setting.
  • If your GPU frame times are over 11ms, you are boned and need to either put up with 45 FPS ASW or reduce supersample (but your supersample should be 1.0 if you have followed what I have said so far).

Do this stuff to try to get 90 FPS while flying at altitude single player. Then consider where you have headroom:

• If you have headroom in the CPU frame time, consider increasing graphics preset (say from Balanced to High).
  • If you have headroom in the GPU frame time, consider adding in-game AA (to 2x or 4x) or adding Oculus Tray Tool supersample (for your 1070ti, OTT pixel density of 1.1 is probably good).

Many thanks Alonzo.

I'll try those things.

By the way those low FPS rates were on Stalingrad map single player quick battle, with the yak s69.

Check that Turboboost option in ON in your BIOS. Otherwise your nice 8700K will be only running at 3.6GHz. With Turbo (in no temp limit) you will run at 4.7GHz.

Having a 8700K it is crime to not do simple overclocking. With the right CPU cooler you will be able to run at 5.0GHz.

Download the free tool MSIAfterbuner to monitor GPU load, CPU frequency and CPU temp. It will help you in your investigations.

You can review this checklist:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34107-items-to-review-if-you-have-low-performance-in-il-2-vr-test/

You can run the test:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3007/

You can also do overclocking, the CPU is always the bottleneck :

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29881-overclocking-a-4790k-for-better-bos-performance/

Try this settings - https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960/discussions/0/3211505894104872188/

I have 8700k  and 1070  both stock (1070 have 1607 mhz on core ) and I have almost all time 90 fps  .Only in carrer with heavy clouds and many bombers sometimes drop to 45

I'll belive that overclock both CPU ang GPU  will help a lot but didn't have time to do it

Thank you chiliwili69 for you as well.

I'll be back at my rig on tuesday and will try out.

@Cichy000: Thanks for the link but that's for vive and I'm using rift, i didn't find such settings.

Also make sure the game is on an SSD to avoid spikes, and the RAM should work at 3200MHz if possible. If you're going with old slowly clocked DDR3 RAM the frametime goes through the roof the faster you move and the more objects get streamed in. I tested that (albeit a year ago).

Get rid of third-party Antivirus programs, they were good back in 2016 and are just rendundant and way too intrusive now - an uptodate Defender of Win10 is perfectly enough nowadays - especially if you stay on proper websites and don't open every "How I gain 500USD per hour" E-mail.

Clean your background processes as well. Out of every 5 PCs I inspected, 4 were trashed with bloatware and adware to the max. It's really that bad @Chili @Alonzo

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf