Sign in to follow this  
raaaid

its (10/3)*3=10 or is there an infinetesimal left

its like my teacher says that he divides again forever but if you go on with a division one step more isn there always a 1 reminder?

hell now i cant even trust must i love paranoia :)

edit:

also i think divide by zero makes perfect sense if you divide two apples by two each gets one apple but if you divide two apples by zero it gives zero everybodys full and noone want the apple

on the other hand i see multiply by -1 senseless,like imaginary operation, is it apples you own?

Edited by raaaid

for the first bit it obviously makes sense as it's the same as saying 10*(3/3) = 10*1 = 10. you get 3.33... in decimal but this is to infinity and just another way of representing the fraction. 

dividing by zero however is undefined and the example you give doesn't follow mathematical convention but it a weird mash of maths and logic. Dividing by zero is easily seen in y = 1/x where as x approaches 0, it tends to infinity meaning that you can't really get an answer unless some conditions are met like f(x)/g(x) = 0/0 where L'Hospitals rule can be applied 

so then an infinitesimal amount as in integration is equal to zero?

of course i know what mathematicians say i just disagree, 9.999... is an infinitesimal left to be ten

Edited by raaaid

if you have two apples and multiply them by two thats two guys with two apples each a total of four

but id like to see a real life example of multiply by minus one

banks invented the negative numbers they do be imaginaries

imaginary numbers do not concern multiplication by -1, they only cross in the fact sqrt(-1) = i. You can do a physical example of multiplication of -1 by vectors and scalars such as force, velocity and weight 

also imaginary numbers are not really "imaginary", but just another mathematical concept such as 0 and negitive numbers that are in a way just 90' to normal numbers as shown in argand diagrams. these are useful for may real problems such as AC electronics