II./JG77_motoadve

The gamer vs the sim/history buff P47

During a attack, Bazilian pilot Raymundo da Costa Canário accidentally collided with the chimney of a factory, 
knocking it down. In the collision his airplane lost part of the right wing (1,28 meter), which did not prevent him from returning to the base

P47-BRAZIL-DAM.jpg

Edited by BR_Calinho

Sure but one incident does not make a very good sample size. There is luck and probably skill involved. That kind of damage and the shock of the impact plus other factors may make that very same aircraft an operational loss, in the hands of a different pilot, to be discovered in the nearby woods forty years later. Or even the same pilot and a difference of a couple of degrees on the impact angle.

So, far, as a "pilot" in this game I have nursed back aircraft in horrendous shape on numerous occasions and also been one-shotted about 1% of those times I am hit. I think this game models the randomness of damage pretty well. I fly Luftie almost exclusively and do not have the complaints of many about pilot kills/headshot deaths, weak 109 tails or being de-winged. Maybe it's skill, maybe it's luck, maybe it's some combination of those.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

2 hours ago, BR_Calinho said:
During a attack, Bazilian pilot Raymundo da Costa Canário accidentally collided with the chimney of a factory, 
knocking it down. In the collision his airplane lost part of the right wing (1,28 meter), which did not prevent him from returning to the base

P47-BRAZIL-DAM.jpg

There are two hinges visible:

T3Ukkzc.jpg

and since the ammunition compartment isn't visible the cut must have occured at the fourth rip from the tip marked in red here:

Ldmbpyb.jpg

Damage such as this wouldn't really hurt the load bearing ability of the wing as it's akin to a cut, and therefore it is not comparable to the damage we see in the British trials.

• Thanks 1