Raptorattacker

Rap's P-47 Thunderbolts, HELP YOURSELVES!!

3 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Thanks! :salute:

Wasn't 'Big Beautiful Doll' from that self same FS?

Yes sir. He also flew with a couple of other groups with at least one other Mustang named BBD.

3 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Yes sir. He also flew with a couple of other groups with at least one other Mustang named BBD

I think everyone will just have to be content with there being SEVERAL versions of that particular skin when the Mustang finally arrives (he said, looking wistfully at his 1:24 scale Airfix model on the bedroom shelf!)?!! ;)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

I think everyone will just have to be content with there being SEVERAL versions of that particular skin when the Mustang finally arrives (he said, looking wistfully at his 1:24 scale Airfix model on the bedroom shelf!)?!! ;)

I prefer the after war scheme of the 78th's Contrary Mary where the checkerboard swept back over the top cowl toward the canopy and was extended to the rudder and wingtips too. I'm going to use that a a basis for a personal skin for myself.

15 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm going to use that a a basis for a personal skin for myself.

Oh YES!! I agree. I WAS going to 'like' the comment without writing a reply but I've run outta 'likes' for today!!

40 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I can do them if you'd like. Will be a week or so before you get them though because I already have a lot of WIP stuff.

34 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Phew!! NICE one. Thanks for that. I don't like turning them down but I DO need a bit of a rest and a bit of 'time out' to actually FLY the buggers!! As it turns out, 'Thoroughbred' is from 84th FS as well. I didn't realise until I posted it up here that one of the requests was from the same!!

@Legioneod If you want the chequerboard pattern for the cowling then just PM me as it pretty much took all day yesterday to do it!! You'd be welcome to it for WZ W if you want?

Thanks! :salute:

Wasn't 'Big Beautiful Doll' from that self same FS?

Thanks to both of you!! 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:34 PM, Raptorattacker said:

Based on a P-47 D 25 Thunderbolt flown by

Lt. Lawton E. Clark of 84th FS, 78th FG, 8th AF

out of RAF Duxford, England, September 1944

ewntqYL.jpg

I am unfamiliar with the kill markings displayed. While the locomotive and motor vehicle symbols are self explanatory, what are the two "tree shaped" symbols at the start?

Thanks!  :salute:

15 minutes ago, Arfsix said:

I am unfamiliar with the kill markings displayed. While the locomotive and motor vehicle symbols are self explanatory, what are the two "tree shaped" symbols at the start?

Thanks!  :salute:

"Thoroughbred" was WZ--E 42-26590 of the 84th FS / 78th FG at Duxford UK. The pilot was 2/Lt. Lawton.E. Clark ; he was killed in it Sept. 10 1944 when he flew into the target when strafing a marshalling yard at Heilbronn, Germany. It was thought that he had a depth perception problem as he had already flown into a couple of trees which he had marked on the plane with his missions. 226590 was delivered in natural metal finish and had dark green top surfaces added with a sky colour below (probably RAF colours)

Thoroughbread.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

It was thought that he had a depth perception problem as he had already flown into a couple of trees which he had marked on the plane with his missions.

Thank you for the information. It is unfortunate yet ironic that "Third time is the charm".

Edited by Arfsix

Thanks for that gem @sevenless. I learn a little every day, this day being no exception!! :salute:

ps It would have been RAF paint as it was Duxford and they would've used what they had I would imagine! I've used the info and put it into the skin post, I hope you don't mind?

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 1

Beautiful skins! Please, can you do this Brazilian Air force skin:

P-47D-27-RE serial number 42-26786 "D4" 94 combat missions flown by 1ª lieutenant Rui Barbosa Moreira Lima

P-47-FAB_D4_RUI-MOREIRA-LIMA_aPRESENTACA

Edited by BR_Calinho

It'll be a while. I'm pretty burned-out with skinning at the moment and there's loads I gotta do in real life.... okay?

• Upvote 3

DUUUUUDE!!! YEEEESSSS!!! These skins are soooo kick ass. You rock. Cant wait to try em out.

Edited by katdog5
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

has become my go to P47 skin:cool:

Bless ya! Thanks and you have a great Yule as well my friend!! :salute: