Surrexen

Tank Controls Request

Hi guys,

Love the fact you added a tank controls specific menu in the last update, can you please add in the function for changing positions in the tank to this menu? I think it's Ctrl+c to swap positions by default. From what I just saw it's the only thing left I'd like to remap separately to the plane controls.

Unfortunately the tank control functions are not mapped  mapped independently from the plane controls.  

The only difference is now there is a dedicated section that shows the specific controls that a tank uses but both use the same 

key strokes or HOTAS buttons.

Lcntrl + C will change the occupant positions in the tank as they do in a plane. 

Edited by fiddlinjim

I keep advocating that they also add controller support (Xbox) for VR tank use.  Keyboard is simply impossible and flight sticks don’t represent all the different functions of tank operations well

Found this out the hard way. Don't delete your flight controls in the tank controls tab, as it will get rid of them when you are flying. 

Salutations,

I suggest creating a separate 'input' file for Tanks and Planes. :salute:

Thad,

Sounds great, but I have looked for a controls file to input but havn't found one, could you please elaborate

on how to set this up and then execute it.     I'm a little above a computer illiterate, but not much,

The keymapping 'input' folder is in the games 'data' folder.

Once you have all of your tank keymapping completed and everything is working the way you desire... save a copy of the 'input' folder in a well known safe place. You could place it in a Tank folder for future use.

Afterwards, setup all of your keymapping for aircraft as desire. The input folder will be automatically updated for aircraft.

When you desire to go tanking... copy and paste your saved input folder into the games data folder. Your ready to go blow things up.

Also, If you have mods … it's possible to save your Tank folder as a mod and enable it before starting the game. You are then ready to close hatches and roll.

Edited by Thad
Spelling correction

On 11/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, WIS-Redcoat said:

I keep advocating that they also add controller support (Xbox) for VR tank use.  Keyboard is simply impossible and flight sticks don’t represent all the different functions of tank operations well

aggree, xbox controller would be neat add to tanks. double sticks would work allso, but dont want to bother switch my throttle to second stick all the time.
One thing i wonder, even we have own tab for tank binds, there is no bind for turrent turn. So is it only usable with mouse?

22 minutes ago, Macross said:

even we have own tab for tank binds, there is no bind for turrent turn. So is it only usable with mouse? 

Salutations,

No, it isn't. I have a Thrustmaster FCS Hotas. I use my joystick to move my Tank Turrets and the Throttle Paddles to turn my tanks. I am able to do this through using a program call JoyToKey.

Said setup just seems more realistic than aiming with a mouse. :salute:

Edited by Thad

On 12/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, Thad said:

Salutations,

No, it isn't. I have a Thrustmaster FCS Hotas. I use my joystick to move my Tank Turrets and the Throttle Paddles to turn my tanks. I am able to do this through using a program call JoyToKey.

Said setup just seems more realistic than aiming with a mouse. :salute:

Yes it is (tank control with dual sticks and a throttle is very very immersive.. and fun) - but this should be achievable by native control settings.

Your workaround is great and thank you for sharing.. but usage of 3rd party apps and input file swaps on folder-level is exactly that.. a workaround.
Works great for you, for some, for most.. but not for all (also, extra RAM usage).
But since we already got the separate vehicle tab we should cross our fingers and hope that they separate the tank controls on native level as they should.

• Upvote 1

DCS has a separate and dedicated controls setup for each of their planes, I would hope IL2 could easily do the same and differentiate

Plane and Tank controls.

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, fiddlinjim said:

Unfortunately the tank control functions are not mapped  mapped independently from the plane controls.  

The only difference is now there is a dedicated section that shows the specific controls that a tank uses but both use the same 

key strokes or HOTAS buttons.

Lcntrl + C will change the occupant positions in the tank as they do in a plane. 

This,  which kind of defeats the purpose. Map you tank keys only to interfere with your planes key bindings, that`s a tad poor implementation and I hope the dev`s address it soon.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, fiddlinjim said:

DCS has a separate and dedicated controls setup for each of their planes, I would hope IL2 could easily do the same and differentiate

Plane and Tank controls.

Again, implement what has proved to be best practice. This needs to be done and surely cannot be that difficult a task, we are not reinventing the wheel here.

• Upvote 2