Jump to content
Surrexen

Tank Controls Request

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

Love the fact you added a tank controls specific menu in the last update, can you please add in the function for changing positions in the tank to this menu? I think it's Ctrl+c to swap positions by default. From what I just saw it's the only thing left I'd like to remap separately to the plane controls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the tank control functions are not mapped  mapped independently from the plane controls.  

The only difference is now there is a dedicated section that shows the specific controls that a tank uses but both use the same 

key strokes or HOTAS buttons.

Lcntrl + C will change the occupant positions in the tank as they do in a plane. 

 

Edited by fiddlinjim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep advocating that they also add controller support (Xbox) for VR tank use.  Keyboard is simply impossible and flight sticks don’t represent all the different functions of tank operations well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this out the hard way. Don't delete your flight controls in the tank controls tab, as it will get rid of them when you are flying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salutations,

 

I suggest creating a separate 'input' file for Tanks and Planes. :salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thad,

Sounds great, but I have looked for a controls file to input but havn't found one, could you please elaborate

on how to set this up and then execute it.     I'm a little above a computer illiterate, but not much,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The keymapping 'input' folder is in the games 'data' folder.

 

Once you have all of your tank keymapping completed and everything is working the way you desire... save a copy of the 'input' folder in a well known safe place. You could place it in a Tank folder for future use.

 

Afterwards, setup all of your keymapping for aircraft as desire. The input folder will be automatically updated for aircraft.

 

When you desire to go tanking... copy and paste your saved input folder into the games data folder. Your ready to go blow things up.

 

Also, If you have mods … it's possible to save your Tank folder as a mod and enable it before starting the game. You are then ready to close hatches and roll.

Edited by Thad
Spelling correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, WIS-Redcoat said:

I keep advocating that they also add controller support (Xbox) for VR tank use.  Keyboard is simply impossible and flight sticks don’t represent all the different functions of tank operations well

 

aggree, xbox controller would be neat add to tanks. double sticks would work allso, but dont want to bother switch my throttle to second stick all the time.
One thing i wonder, even we have own tab for tank binds, there is no bind for turrent turn. So is it only usable with mouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Macross said:

even we have own tab for tank binds, there is no bind for turrent turn. So is it only usable with mouse? 

 

Salutations,

 

No, it isn't. I have a Thrustmaster FCS Hotas. I use my joystick to move my Tank Turrets and the Throttle Paddles to turn my tanks. I am able to do this through using a program call JoyToKey.

 

Said setup just seems more realistic than aiming with a mouse. :salute:

Edited by Thad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, Thad said:

 

Salutations,

 

No, it isn't. I have a Thrustmaster FCS Hotas. I use my joystick to move my Tank Turrets and the Throttle Paddles to turn my tanks. I am able to do this through using a program call JoyToKey.

 

Said setup just seems more realistic than aiming with a mouse. :salute:

 

Yes it is (tank control with dual sticks and a throttle is very very immersive.. and fun) - but this should be achievable by native control settings.

Your workaround is great and thank you for sharing.. but usage of 3rd party apps and input file swaps on folder-level is exactly that.. a workaround.
Works great for you, for some, for most.. but not for all (also, extra RAM usage).
But since we already got the separate vehicle tab we should cross our fingers and hope that they separate the tank controls on native level as they should.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCS has a separate and dedicated controls setup for each of their planes, I would hope IL2 could easily do the same and differentiate

Plane and Tank controls.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, fiddlinjim said:

Unfortunately the tank control functions are not mapped  mapped independently from the plane controls.  

The only difference is now there is a dedicated section that shows the specific controls that a tank uses but both use the same 

key strokes or HOTAS buttons.

Lcntrl + C will change the occupant positions in the tank as they do in a plane. 

 

This,  which kind of defeats the purpose. Map you tank keys only to interfere with your planes key bindings, that`s a tad poor implementation and I hope the dev`s address it soon.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, fiddlinjim said:

DCS has a separate and dedicated controls setup for each of their planes, I would hope IL2 could easily do the same and differentiate

Plane and Tank controls.

Again, implement what has proved to be best practice. This needs to be done and surely cannot be that difficult a task, we are not reinventing the wheel here.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×