SOLIDKREATE

P-47 D Skins

I also have the logo

Viewer 2019-11-18 12-50-51-58.jpg

I could work some more on it, the photo we have blurry which makes it a bit hard to get the exact shape right.

• Thanks 1

WIP Gabreski's last Jug.

One of the most difficult skins I have ever attempted. For such a famous pilot and aircraft, decent images and information regarding the paint scheme has been surprisingly difficult to find.

What there is is often contradictory. I have amassed a number of photos that have helped plus I have a few books but information about the tops of the wings/horizontal tails/starboard side is like looking for the Holy Grail!

And the template has been fighting me too! Has anyone else had issues with the Alpha template causing transparent textures? If so what was the cause and how did you cure it?

Anyway, hope to have this finished in the next couple of days.

Gabby wip.jpg

• Like 4

@Bo_Nidle Are you saying that even after unchecking the Bare metal and creating a paint layer dark grey, you are still getting a metallic shine?

The alpha layer on the left is in two of my OD skins. The Alpha on the right is the default reflective P-47 alpha in the template

MW3HNbk.jpg

Edited by 361st_Ripper*

The shine will be gone when its finished mate, I haven't finished by quite a way.

The biggest issue I have encountered is this transparency business that appears to be caused by the "Shadow" layer on the ICDP Alpha template. I have switched it off now, I just wondered if anyone else had wrestled with it....and won by other means?

P47 bug.jpg

Oh I see! First time I have ever seen this! Very strange! My finished P-47 skins do not have this issue. 

Edited by 361st_Ripper*

Hi Bo_Nidle

Brighten the shadow layer in the alpha layer.
You may also have to do it on lower surfaces ..?
This error also happened to me and is to find the gray balance. according to how I work the alpha channel.
In my case it is a trial / error until I get what I want.
Slow process.:gamer:

Tip if you want a matte camo and have shiny or semi surfaces.
Create an alpha channel from a gray base and the next layers you put play with the gray ones.
I hope it helps you, although it is not very technical.:biggrin:

:salute:

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

Hi Bo_Nidle

Brighten the shadow layer in the alpha layer.
You may also have to do it on lower surfaces ..?
This error also happened to me and is to find the gray balance. according to how I work the alpha channel.
In my case it is a trial / error until I get what I want.
Slow process.:gamer:

Tip if you want a matte camo and have shiny or semi surfaces.
Create an alpha channel from a gray base and the next layers you put play with the gray ones.
I hope it helps you, although it is not very technical.:biggrin:

:salute:

Thanks for the information, I have it cured to a point. The engine cowl is fixed but there are still issues where the Invasion stripes are located. Most displeasing.

4 hours ago, VBF-12_Pequod said:

IIRC pure black in alpha layer is transparent in game. 

4 hours ago, VBF-12_Pequod said:

IIRC pure black in alpha layer is transparent in game. 

Thanks for the info.

U can't use any black/gray that is darker than like 90% or else the alpha will see it as a pure black and make it see-through. Easy fix is to use a levels and lighten your blacks a bit globally until they stop being see-through.

Edited by -RR-Napoleon-

Almost finished, still a few tweaks here and there.

I've cured the cowl transparency issue but the areas between the national insignia and the invasion stripe plus some nearby vents are still putting up a fight.

Gabby WIP 2.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Almost finished, still a few tweaks here and there.

I've cured the cowl transparency issue but the areas between the national insignia and the invasion stripe plus some nearby vents are still putting up a fight.

Are you using Gimp or PS? 

P.S. I made "Ole Cock III" and am working on a Pengie IV skin...  it's been kinda back burnered but I'd like to finish it up. Perhaps make a Fighter Group Pack as I know some folks have made some of the other skins.

My primary graphics program is Paint Shop Pro, mainly because I have been using it in one form or another since I started skinning for “IL2” back around 2006, so I’m pretty comfortable with it.

Unfortunately the Intel dds conversion program doesn’t work with it and it’s so much quicker to use than the Nvidia program, so I am using Gimp for the first time to save skin and work with the Alpha. I particularly like the “paste in place” layer function in Gimp.

I also have PS cs6 which I also dip in and out of. But it’s a recent acquisition so I’m still getting familiar with it.

I’m a bit loath to commit to making single group packs as I did it in the old IL2 and found I got a little bored by it. So I’m jumping around the P-47/P-51/P-38 groups to maintain my interest.....at least until my tendonitis flares up again and forces me to stop for a while.

3 hours ago, Bo_Nidle said:

My primary graphics program is Paint Shop Pro, mainly because I have been using it in one form or another since I started skinning for “IL2” back around 2006, so I’m pretty comfortable with it.

Unfortunately the Intel dds conversion program doesn’t work with it and it’s so much quicker to use than the Nvidia program, so I am using Gimp for the first time to save skin and work with the Alpha. I particularly like the “paste in place” layer function in Gimp.

I also have PS cs6 which I also dip in and out of. But it’s a recent acquisition so I’m still getting familiar with it.

I have only used Photoshop, so unfortunately I am not sure what tools are what and how they work. I wish I could offer more assistance.

I’m a bit loath to commit to making single group packs as I did it in the old IL2 and found I got a little bored by it. So I’m jumping around the P-47/P-51/P-38 groups to maintain my interest.....at least until my tendonitis flares up again and forces me to stop for a while.

You don't have to commit to anything, I too would like to do some P-51 and P-38 skins. But, to be more direct, if a pack were to be made, could I use your skins in it with proper credit. 

14 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

(would still love to see a few 325th FG skins :) )

Okay, I can feel the arm up me back MP!! 😁

Finally finished "Gabreski's Last Jug" and uploaded to Lockon Files. I was surprised no-one did this until I started to research the camo scheme!!!

Bit of a learning experience regarding the ICDP template and the Alpha but I got there in the end.

I have depicted it as it appeared on 20th July 1944, Gabreski's final flight, where he struck the ground with his prop whilst strafing and had to crash land and was made a POW.

An incident made all the more bitter as his combat tour had ended and he should have flown home for good that same day, but he asked to "just fly one more mission"!

For the detail curious: the engine and prop hub are painted black in accordance with a very good colour photo of the actual aircraft.

The camoflage scheme is based on the intructions for the 1/72nd academy model kit as that seemed to be the most accurate when compared to photos. (I have a partially built 1/32 kit by Hasegawa in my attic and I dug out its instructions. Its paint instructions are terrible, not even close).

I'm not saying my attempt is 100% but its close to the real aircraft.

The names on the crew placard are correct but the actual layout is open to question as I could not find a clear photo, and believe me I tried!

I had to tone the blur down a little as it was showing up the model joins quite noticably.

The yellow lines above and below the tail serials were overspray from where the stencil had been placed and the numbers applied.

I have even added the Hamilton Standard decals to the prop blades.........maybe the Mrs is right and I am mad!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3764-gabreskis-last-jug-61stfs-56thfg-july-1944/

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Edited by Bo_Nidle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Okay, I can feel the arm up me back MP!! 😁

Finally finished "Gabreski's Last Jug" and uploaded to Lockon Files. I was surprised no-one did this until I started to research the camo scheme!!!

Bit of a learning experience regarding the ICDP template and the Alpha but I got there in the end.

I have depicted it as it appeared on 20th July 1944, Gabreski's final flight, where he struck the ground with his prop whilst strafing and had to crash land and was made a POW.

An incident made all the more bitter as his combat tour had ended and he should have flown home for good that same day, but he asked to "just fly one more mission"!

For the detail curious: the engine and prop hub are painted black in accordance with a very good colour photo of the actual aircraft.

The camoflage scheme is based on the intructions for the 1/72nd academy model kit as that seemed to be the most accurate when compared to photos. (I have a partially built 1/32 kit by Hasegawa in my attic and I dug out its instructions. Its paint instructions are terrible, not even close).

I'm not saying my attempt is 100% but its close to the real aircraft.

The names on the crew placard are correct but the actual layout is open to question as I could not find a clear photo, and believe me I tried!

I had to tone the blur down a little as it was showing up the model joins quite noticably.

The yellow lines above and below the tail serials were overspray from where the stencil had been placed and the numbers applied.

I have even added the Hamilton Standard decals to the prop blades.........maybe the Mrs is right and I am mad!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3764-gabreskis-last-jug-61stfs-56thfg-july-1944/

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Fantastic work as always Bo. Looking forward to taking it for a spin and anything else you create :)

(Particularly like Man O War) 👍 

• Like 1

"Five By Five" flown by Col Joe Laughlin, C.O.  of the 362ndFG in 1945.

The checkerboard pattern was a nightmare and gets distorted in places so its far from perfect but still a striking scheme.

I've just got replicate the NMF from the Jug onto the P-51D now.

Up now at LockOn Files>  http://www.lockonfiles.com/forums/topic/43259-five-by-five-362nd-fighter-group/?tab=comments#comment-318617

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Bo_Nidle said:

"Cinco por cinco" volado por el coronel Joe Laughlin, CO del 362ndFG en 1945.

El patrón de tablero de ajedrez fue una pesadilla y se distorsiona en lugares, por lo que está lejos de ser perfecto, pero sigue siendo un esquema sorprendente.

Acabo de replicar el NMF de la jarra en el P-51D ahora.

Hasta ahora en LockOn Files>  http://www.lockonfiles.com/forums/topic/43259-five-by-five-362nd-fighter-group/?tab=comments#comment-318617

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Great Job Mate!

21 hours ago, Bo_Nidle said:

The checkerboard pattern was a nightmare and gets distorted in places so its far from perfect

Considering that this paint scheme must also have been a nightmare for the guy who did the original, which was sure to be far from perfect and would also have warped in places, so no need to feel bad about it.

You've made yet another great skin for us to enjoy :good:

On 11/28/2019 at 8:57 AM, Mysticpuma said:

.......maybe the Mrs is right and I am mad!

They're never wrong, so that just makes you as mad as the rest of us :biggrin:

Edited by Pict

On 11/24/2019 at 10:11 PM, Bo_Nidle said:

The shine will be gone when its finished mate, I haven't finished by quite a way.

The biggest issue I have encountered is this transparency business that appears to be caused by the "Shadow" layer on the ICDP Alpha template. I have switched it off now, I just wondered if anyone else had wrestled with it....and won by other means?

P47 bug.jpg

Just a simple technique to make sure you don't face transparency issues again...

When you finished your alpha, make a selection by color #000000.

This will select all your alpha areas with pure black color, then replace these with a "not pure" black like #080808.

You will barely notice the diference as you dark areas will remain dark, but you will get rid of any transparency issues at once in the whole skin.

Don't even need to bother searching for them in the viewer. It's a good practice to check this before releasing the skin.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 2

Jaywalkin' Molecule Download HERE.

HhmFX6T.jpg

The Turtle Download HERE.

BntPqFv.jpg

Post updated with download links. I know I asked about 'The Turtle' previously, but I figured I would give it my own spin.

Edited by Megalax
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

This is my first historical skin, Tallahassee Lassie, as seen at the Flying Heritage museum. Had a lot of problems with it, but I think most of them have been ironed out. I guess I'm supposed to use a spoiler because of the kill markings.

Spoiler

p472.thumb.PNG.7494c85dca8682bed36ad4ef935b6d37.PNG

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmd1z77y7c3o2y2/TallahaseeLassie.dds?dl=0

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1