361ST_SPEKTRE76

P-47 D Skins

I've uploaded many coloured pictures that I personally took from books about WW2 planes to be an inspiration for you skinners. They are uploaded on my google drive account. If you want access to them, PM me your email and I'll send all my contents. Every plane portraited has model/version, squadron, location, pilot etc informations

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

If you have any of the P-51 count me in

I do have all the planes we currently have and we will have in the near future. Pm me

Posted (edited)

Hey Gents,

I decided to fix the Daddy Rabbit I posted a few days ago with an update to the location of the Swastikas they needed to be moved in closer to the rest of the markings so I fixed that and made version 2. If you like the 1st one no problem its will still be seen in MP if others have this skin installed cause the name is the same. Please re-download the latest version of "Daddy Rabbit." Sorry I'm a perfectionist and OCD when it comes to skins.  Thanks for using them.

Salute!

Link above updated to newest version...

2019-4-29-19-29-45.jpg

Edited by 325th_Bugsy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Im looking for the Panel Finder, I have some how misplaced mine and its not showing up in game. Working on some Dora 9 skins and this will help a bunch.

Salute Wolfe

I thank you for the file, I need the one that works with Battle of Stalingrad. I think the one here is for 1946. I had one I converted to a DDS file but its not showing up. Did we get a update that changed this? If you have one that is already DDS I can use I would love to have it.

Salute Wolfe

Posted (edited)

Hi @WWGreyWolfe,

you can basically use any picture as a panel finder...

If you are using GIMP, you can just open your panel finder as a seperate layer within the skin you are already working on anyway.

Put that panel finder on top of all the other layers, make sure it is visible and fit to the skin size. Then carry on like you would with your skin, i.e. flatten, export as .dds and so on.

Put it in the skins folder and Bob´s your uncle...

Note: Sometimes it might be helpful for easier reference to put the wireframe layer on top of the panel finder.

Panel finder:

google is your friend... at least sometimes...

I hope that helps. :)

47.JPG

Edited by =RR=ROCKET_KNUT
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Even though it was originally a Razorback! It was tough lining up the upper red roundels and star along the left and right fuselage!

Enjoy! The nose art, German Kills and Donnie Boy font are not identical but close. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z81hb88gyemvjs9/336th_P-47D-28_VF_T.zip/file

D92101C0-5072-471E-8A64-7D7C01609D36.jpeg

Donnie Boy.png

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
Completed
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for the excellent skinners on this site.  How do I make a P-47 skin that has a matte (non-glossy) finish?  I've noticed that there are several skins with camouflage paint schemes which are not glossy.  All of my skins have a metallic and shiny finish...except where the anti-glare strip is on the top of the fuselage.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

@CrraigNT55 about two forum pages ago I asked the very same question and I confirmed what I did. The ICDP templates have two PSD files, Alpha and the plane . By default the plane has the bare metal skin. You need to replace it with the Olive Drab (found in the Alpha channel PSD). Look for my post. Then when exporting your skin to DDS unselect Alpha and the skin will be exported as Matte (not shiny). 

Hey Cavok,

Thanks so much for the reply!  I had a feeling that this was a topic covered before but had some difficulty with the Search Tool finding what I was looking for.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I may be coming to this issue very late in the game.  And I gather that there is an "ALPHA" layer in the *.PSD files that controls the amount of shiny reflectance that appears on the skin for either the bare metal or matte camouflage look.  I've attached a couple skins I created of the 406 Fighter Group 512 and 513 Fighter Squadrons and they look alright for all of the glossy painted areas.  The black anti-glare panel is the only portion of the skin that is matte.  When I paint the skin with camouflage colors they are shiny except where the anti-glare panel is.  I've located the "ALPHA_P-47D-28_4K.psd" Photoshop file and I'm wondering how I utilize this to create an ALPHA layer to allow the matte portions of the skin to be created.  I have Photoshop Elements 2018.0 and the NVIDIA DDS Tools plug-in.  My question is how would I create an ALPHA layer that would allow for all of the skin to be matte?  Does it replace the original layer in the "P-47D-28_4k_Public.psd" Photoshop file?  A step-by-step explanation would greatly be appreciate!  Thanks BOS/BOM/BOK/BOBP/FC Community! 

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

image.png

406FG_512FS_C.png

406FG_513FS_C.png

Posted (edited)

Look at your Alpha layer and notice the darkened area where the OD anti glare panel is. To get your other painted areas to not look transparent is to duplicate that look on the Alpha where they appear on the skin. All you need to do is mirror the painted sections on the Alpha layered template. What I do is copy and paste the painted area to the Alpha and then turn it into whatever shade of gray that gives me a reflective appearance that suits my taste. Then flatten the Alpha and put that into the layered template.

Edited by Rjel

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Rjel,

When you say," ...look on the Alpha where they appear on the skin", are you referring to the PSD file named: P-47D-28_4k_Public.psd 

where there's a layer named "ALPHA" in the sub-section called "Shadows" (picture #1)?  Or is it the "ALPHA" layer in the PSD file named: ALPHA_P-47D-28_4K.psd (picture #2)?  How do you see the shade of grey to change the reflective appearance?  The "ALPHA" layers that I've seen in the 2 PSD files are very transparent.  Thanks for all of your assistance!

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

Picture #1

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #2

Edited by CraigNT55
name pictures...

Posted (edited)

CraigNT55 -

Look at the layered Alpha .psd file that came as a separate folder in the Zip file with the downloaded template you have pictured. Work on that. What I do is make all my markings on the skin as you pictured it first, such as the painted areas, insignia, serial numbers ect. I keep all the markings on separate layers for future editing or use on another skin. I don't like reinventing the wheel every time I want to do something different. Once I'm happy with how they look edited, then I save the template in it's native layered .psd format. Then I'll merge those painted and/or markings layers into a single layer, still keeping it as a .psd and paste it into the Layered Alpha as below. I do this as it makes lining both the Alpha and the painted template up easier to me. I use one of the wing stars and bars as my anchor point for alignment.

image.png.568ae4b0fe775ea7a3a51f12b08edbdf.png

Then using the Paint Bucket Tool or whatever is similar in a different program, fill in the markings with a shade of gray. You'll need to experiment with different shades to get the effect you like. Darker seems to be less reflective to me. Too close to a full black on the Alpha will result in "holes" in game with your skins, so stay in the gray zone. Think of the underlying gray areas as a "primer" in the real world of painting. Once you're happy with the result, merge the layered Alpha (again as a .psd layer) and copy it to your template, overwriting the existing one there or paste it as a copy. Make sure you use your edited one if you choose this method, deselecting the original's checkbox. Your painted areas won't look translucent any longer when viewed in the game. Hope this helps. I'm sure there are others using better and quicker techniques but this one has worked for me. PM me if you have other questions and I'll help if possible.

2069485517_AlphaGray_post.JPG.9df6c82d9ed9ca823c02d7a77ae1b69e.JPG

Edited by Rjel

Awesome! Thanks so much Rjel! I'll give this a try when I get home from work. I really appreciate all of your help!  😁

On 1/19/2019 at 4:39 PM, sevenless said:

The weathering is gorgeous! Great Skin.

Completely agree, this looks very special. Any news? Is it available?

On 1/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, Zed4747 said:

Any idea when this skin will be out or if its out? this is just so good... im freaking out! lol! (its a IIN8II skin.) A firm hand shake and a smile to you sir or madam. 

Image2.thumb.jpg.b12e5fe91656d776fc017adb2983ea64.jpg

Any news on when this will be out?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Completely agree, this looks very special. Any news? Is it available?

Any news on when this will be out?

IIRC he (IIN8II) never released it, too bad 😞

His last post on this topic here:

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Bare Metal Skin for FAB: FORÇA AEREA BRASILEIRA (BRAZILIAN AIR FORCE) "Senta a Púa!"

Template by Art by 1CGS / Prepared by ICDP / 2K resolution

I reedited this skin as I'm learning the art of the Alpha Channel 😁

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p9gpsnugvqnnpu0/P47D28_FAB_BARE_METAL_B3.dds/file

(Edited August 27)

20190827171602_1.jpg

20190827171613_1.jpg

20190827171637_1.jpg

20190827171647_1.jpg

20190827170930_1.jpg

20190827171056_1.jpg

Edited by 9./JG54_Skywarp
  • Thanks 1

@325th_Bugsy how did you made the chequered that good?

On 11/25/2018 at 10:53 PM, 325th_Bugsy said:

The Eileen was completed already thanks to SZELLJR, his has the Black tail, mine does not...So you get 2 for the price of one...lol Enjoy!

P-47D 42-75429 was assigned to the 84th Fighter Squadron of the 78th Fighter Group at Duxford. Pilot Frank Oiler gave it the nickname ... Eileen.

371da9a9-e960-48c7-88b5-dcfa02126b36.png

eileen.jpg

Il-2-2018-11-25-18-39-42.png

See Page 8 for complete collection thanks

Posted (edited)

First off thanks for the compliment but the only way you will get it as close to perfect is to do a little and check it then do a little more and check it again. I think for that skin I must have checked and rechecked it about 100 times or more.... but the good thing is save your work so you can use it over again in a different color if needed.

Edited by 325th_Bugsy

Just having a little fun...  This is a totally fictional skin for a horse named Hell Bitch from the movie Lonesome Dove. 

Still a WIP...

Il-2 2019-08-28 15-19-22.jpg

Il-2 2019-08-28 15-18-35.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hey Snacko

you need to create a layer that has all the painted surfaces and turn them dark gray or black so it will not show a reflection on the plane. 

Look at Rjel’s post above and see all the painted surfaces are dark and then that’s your alpha layer

Edited by 325th_Bugsy

18 hours ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

Hey Snacko

you need to create a layer that has all the painted surfaces and turn them dark gray or black so it will not show a reflection on the plane. 

Look at Rjel’s post above and see all the painted surfaces are dark and then that’s your alpha layer

Thanks Bugsy.  I'm using Gimp, but I'll take a look at that and see if I can figure it out..

Awesome!  Thanks.

EDIT:

That did it!!  I was able to adjust the shiny reflections to a more reasonable level.  Thanks again.

I have updated my previous post with the new skins.

Edited by DDSnacko
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, DDSnacko said:

Awesome!  Thanks.

EDIT:

That did it!!  I was able to adjust the shiny reflections to a more reasonable level.  Thanks again.

I have updated my previous post with the new skins.

You did a beautiful job, congrats!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 6:34 PM, 9./JG54_Skywarp said:

You did a beautiful job, congrats!

Thanks!  After figuring that out and getting that skin done, I remembered a model that I had seen in Fine Scale Modeler magazine a few years ago.  Here's the pic:

1761744352_Mig-21WoodModel.thumb.jpg.d77a7f062ebad1562113baf8dff05a27.jpg

So, I started trying to make another fictional skin like this just for fun.  Here's what I have so far...  I have a bit more to do..  It's still a WIP..

1515515542_Il-22019-09-1311-51-44.thumb.png.b0e841d1dbb70c04d41b0e2c36fa8e9c.png

Edited by DDSnacko
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I am making my first bare metal skin and I am having trouble making the blue color overlay on the nose cowling and D-day stripes to look solid.  The bare metal is coming through! What am I doing wrong? 

Desktop Screenshot 2019.09.14 - 16.21.07.16.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.09.14 - 16.19.32.30.png

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
  • Upvote 1