Sign in to follow this  
rbapon

Where is the inertial starter in the P40 cockpit?

Just curious because I've been learning the A2A P40 and proper plane startup procedures in P3D V4.3:  I've been looking around the IL2 Great Battles P40 cockpit and while I hear the inertial starter spooling up at engine start I haven't been able to find the switch in the cockpit.  Did the IL2 crew just leave the switch artwork out of the in-game model?  Kinda strange to watch the auto startup and hear the inertial starter spool and then engage the engine but not see the switch flipping.  

Is the IS on the P-40 externally started by ground crew?

Edited by Mewt

There were two alternative devices for operating the starter used on Allison-powered P40s: a small panel under throttle quadrant with spring-loaded electric switch on it (one position for spinning the flywheel, the other for engaging the clutch), or a small foot pedal similar to P-39, but located left of the bottom instrument pedestal. 

Indeed, looks like neither of these has been modelled in "our" P-40's cockpit for whatever reason.

There were actually 3 sorts of starters in the P-40: the foot pedal, the switch panel under the throttle quadrant, or a direct-drive starter. IIRC, the P-40 as is modeled in the game is using the latter of the three.

Nah, can't be direct-drive starter as:
a) we can hear and see the operation of inertia one clearly;

b) direct-drive was used by default on Merlin-powered P-40s, while Allison ones utilized the first two aforementioned systems (back in the day that is, I'm not talking about modern restorations, which are often modified to use any system, whether it's "historically correct" or not).

Even if we presume the BoX Warhawk was one of the freaky Allison+direct hybrids, it should still feature the relevant animation of starter-engagement by ignition switch, which it doesn't.

In the grand scheme of things, there are more serious issues with the plane's simulated engine and cooling system, however, so I'm not that bothered by minor 3D model inaccuracies. Still my favourite workhorse to fly around.