Jump to content
ICDP

P-47D-28 (Battle of Bodenplatte) Template pack - REDUNDANT AS NOW OFFICIAL IN SIM

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, GSP_Hund said:

Please forgive me for being a complete noob, but how do I tone-down or remove the "gloss coat" around the engine nacelle, it seems to wash out my artwork.  I'm using photoshop to perform this work, thanks.

2018_12_4__20_41_21A.jpg

I think you need to cut out the alpha layer on the places where you don't want it to gloss. You should do it on the rest of the painted stuff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Frenchy, I shall give that a try.

 

 

Still can't figure it out, thanks for info though.

Edited by GSP_Hund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GSP_Hund said:

Thanks Frenchy, I shall give that a try.

 

 

Still can't figure it out, thanks for info though.

you have to edit the alpha itself. Open up the alpha template and color the areas you want to change (make sure its a separate layer) use gray color values, the lighter the color the more gloss it is, the darker the more matte it is.

 

Once you do that then just flatten the alpha template, hit select all and go to channels and hit save as alpha. after that you just copy/paste the alpha over your skin template alpha.

 

Hope this makes sense. I'll post some screens if you need me to, just let me know.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Legioneod!  I went to the channels and unselected the RGB channels and selected the Alpha1, selected the nose cowl area (minus the od green area) and changed contrast to darker.  Then re-selected the RGB and left the Alpha1 selected, switched to the layers and you can see the light-red mask from the Alpha1 channel, flattened image, saved as dds and it worked!  I forgot to thank ICDP for the fantastic template, you rock man!

2018_12_5__13_34_22A.jpg

2018_12_5__13_36_23A.jpg

Edited by GSP_Hund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! Great work as always.:good:

 

Just had a look at P47 Black Id in 3D and was blown away by the quality of your skin, ICDP. Awesome...

Edited by Flowbee_603

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Maddie Mae" Fictional skin WIP

Grunge look.

 

 


Image1.jpg
 

 

Image2.jpg

Edited by IIN8II
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 8:54 PM, Legioneod said:

you have to edit the alpha itself. Open up the alpha template and color the areas you want to change (make sure its a separate layer) use gray color values, the lighter the color the more gloss it is, the darker the more matte it is.

 

Once you do that then just flatten the alpha template, hit select all and go to channels and hit save as alpha. after that you just copy/paste the alpha over your skin template alpha.

 

Hope this makes sense. I'll post some screens if you need me to, just let me know.

 

Had to work this out for GIMP, and the way I found to do it was to 

1) Open up the Alpha.psd up in GIMP, and save it as a new file. Keep the layers

2) Modify the GIMP Alpha.xcf file, until the layers are what you want. Save before flattening

3) Flatten the image and *Use Save As* to create a new, different GIMP .xcf file. I called mine "Alpha Flat.xcf"

4) Open up the main template file and save it as a GIMP file (.xcf)

5) Use "Open As Layers" to bring in the Flattened Alpha template as a new GIMP layer

6) Hide all of the other layers, then go to the "Channels" Tab on the Brushed window. (The tab is by the "Layers" tab.)

7) Right click on one of the color channels and select "Duplicate Channel"

😎 Edit the Channel with a new channel name

9) Save everything.

10) Follow the Instructions in the "Quick start guide to skinning with GIMP" except use your new alpha channel to create the mask, instead of the Alpha 1 channel.

 

 

I was working on a personal skin based on the August 1944 three tone camo scheme, and the default alpha channel has the anti-glare strip running from nose to almost the tail.

 

Of course, being a glutton for punishment, I ended up adding part of the antiglare strip back in, and I';m doing my own three tone pattern. I'm finding that's rather harder than it looks...

Edited by Voyager
Added link to GIMP Quickstart Guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Psyrion said:

@ICDP I can´t download from the skins link. The cloud says it is empty :cray:.

 

Apologies Psyrion, the link is fixed again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fictional Skin, based on the August 1944 camo patterns/colors: Sweetie y Raton Vaquero:

2019_1_1__2_32_25.thumb.jpg.5172f857ad18cd05de3d29cec760d0b9.jpg

2019_1_1__2_35_52.thumb.jpg.22dec12d687f403d383f9688340a03bc.jpg

2019_1_1__2_40_36.thumb.jpg.85ac2f2b950ed07e79e2e5b904ecbd74.jpg

2019_1_1__1_27_21.jpg.9414739b4b58be00f8dc101c5db76999.jpg2019_1_1__1_25_22.jpg.674fdf828fad23cefcd7c0b8ee001e80.jpg

2019_1_1__1_28_31.jpg.0c707e42f15f8071a128ec217c2f3caa.jpg

 

All told there are seven skins right now; the August 1944 version of Sweetie y Raton, a Bare Metal version, and a winter camo* version. Since I did a second two tone pattern, from the one in ICDP's original template, I did unmarked version of both patterns in the same color scheme, and each pattern also have both a version with an anti-glare strip and without. The idea is to provide variations on the two tone, since it doesn't seem to be common between the aircraft.

 

*Since no USAAF winter camo was apparently needed or developed, I did a field expedient version overlaying either the Pre 1939 USAAF white, or the USN M-495 Light Grey with an 88% opacity, on the assumption that if they suddenly needed winter camo, the crews would grab what was available and make due. In retrospect, I probably should use the Insignia White instead, since that was probably more available in 1944+, but I'm think I'm going to snap the line here and let it go.

 

 

Skin pack is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a78e2sm7m3q54lq/P-47D-28_4k Sweetie y Raton.7z?dl=0

 

GIMP Wall of Layers is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyob9viekevj8i3/P-47D-28_4k_Sweetie y Raton Vaquero GIMP Files.7z?dl=0

 

Hope people enjoy it. The funny thing is I'm already seeing things I could have done better and/or differently, but I'm going to put this down and not touch it unless something is horribly wrong with it. Any bets on how long that will last?

 

Harry Voyager

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, Jade_Monkey said:

5x skinpack:

 

DOWNLOAD HERE (Dropbox)

 

9r20ys.jpg

 

8w07tf.jpg

 

2en2ic0.jpg

 

1xdp1.jpg

 

r90lls.jpg

 

 

 

Great job!

Are all of them historical? Thanks :good:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

None.

Ok, thanks again! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to use the  the RAF Dark Green & RAF Dark Earth camo  but it seems the alpha layer has been designed to only work with bare metal as turning off the US markings just gives you a mirror finish  camo  with dull shapes where the US markings were.

 

Is there a P47 alpha somewhere that works with normal paint?

 

I tried to make my own alpha but the only guides I can find tell you to start by copying the basic Alpha that came with the the template and that one is already set up for bare metal and US markings only.

 

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I tried to use the  the RAF Dark Green & RAF Dark Earth camo  but it seems the alpha layer has been designed to only work with bare metal as turning off the US markings just gives you a mirror finish  camo  with dull shapes where the US markings were.

 

Is there a P47 alpha somewhere that works with normal paint?

 

I tried to make my own alpha but the only guides I can find tell you to start by copying the basic Alpha that came with the the template and that one is already set up for bare metal and US markings only.

 

 

 

Just select the paint layer, select the paint area, then select alpha layer and change the alpha for the paint area with slightly darker grey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 12:05 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

 

 

Just select the paint layer, select the paint area, then select alpha layer and change the alpha for the paint area with slightly darker grey.

 

If only it were that easy.  This is what I get if I select the paint layer and then go to the Channels and look at the Alpha.

 

It is maybe not impossible to remove those dark areas but it is pretty tricky.

 

alpha.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I am pretty much doing that ie selecting the stars outlines etc and changing the lightness to match the rest. That is not so hard but then it inevitably leaves a thin outline even with zero feathering so now I am having to go over it all to remove the lines.  As I said, not impossible just fiddley 🙂

 

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 10:18 PM, IIN8II said:

"Maddie Mae" Fictional skin WIP

Grunge look.

  Hide contents

 


Image1.jpg
 

 

 

  Hide contents

Image2.jpg
 

Amazing job on this skin! just so much awesomeness...  When? Where? and pretty plzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

Image2.thumb.jpg.b12e5fe91656d776fc017adb2983ea64.jpg

Edited by Zed4747

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 skins for the 99th Fighter Squadron of the 332nd Fighter Group (Aka the Red Tails Angels)

Thanks for the mega helpfull template !!!
Thanks to vonPilsner for his tuto on how to use Gimp
Thanks to 6./ZG26_5tuka for his tuto on how to use the alpha channel

 

 

20190126.jpg

 

https://www.file-up.org/ewz60wuysraw

https://www.mediafire.com/view/4jmqq8sry3v57rq/P47_RTA_allu_v2.dds/file

 

 

20190127.jpg

 

https://www.file-up.org/ssdp60xu06ev

https://www.mediafire.com/view/o2x6n2lrm53uhnl/P47_RTA_OD_v2.dds/file

 

Edited by RTAmistermystere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please use another site for DL? Mediafire is a great place with no hazzle wanting me to do this and that to be able to download!

EDIT, THANK YOU, great skins by the way!

Edited by FlyingH
Adding comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to extract the 3D objects of the plane to throw into Substance Painter? Wondering if there is a way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 5:47 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

 

If only it were that easy.  This is what I get if I select the paint layer and then go to the Channels and look at the Alpha.

 

It is maybe not impossible to remove those dark areas but it is pretty tricky.

 

alpha.jpg

Have you tried using the layered Alpha from the download for editing? Make the changes to it then merge and flatten it as you would the layered template. Copy that single layer in the existing Alpha 1 channel. That was the biggest stumbling block I struggled with when trying to work with this template format. I could not get my head wrapped around that for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't skinned a plane in over 15 years, but after going to Flying Legends a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get the P-47D "Nellie B" there, out of my mind.

 

The colour scheme is based on F4-J 'Nellie B' 492nd Fighter Squadron, 48th Fighter GroupMore info on the real plane can be found here and here

 

Despite ICDP's incredible template making it easy, I've spent an embarrassingly large amount of hours getting every little possible detail painstakingly accurate to the real plane, including down to re-doing or placing even the stencils.  99% of people won't even see the vast majority of the little details, but I'm proud of her.  Hope you enjoy.

 

2019-7-24-22-40-4.png

 

Download link

 

 

Edited by Dijital_Majik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dijital_Majik said:

I haven't skinned a plane in over 15 years, but after going to Flying Legends a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get the P-47D "Nellie B" there, out of my mind.

 

The colour scheme is based on F4-J 'Nellie B' 492nd Fighter Squadron, 48th Fighter GroupMore info on the real plane can be found here and here

 

Despite ICDP's incredible template making it easy, I've spent an embarrassingly large amount of hours getting every little possible detail painstakingly accurate to the real plane, including down to re-doing or placing even the stencils.  99% of people won't even see the vast majority of the little details, but I'm proud of her.  Hope you enjoy.

 

2019_7_24__22_40_4.png

 

Download link

 

 

 

Your preview picture isn't working correctly, just a heads-up. Very nice work on the skin, though, it's beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [120DIS]KathoriasTV said:

 

Your preview picture isn't working correctly, just a heads-up. Very nice work on the skin, though, it's beautiful!

 

Thanks, and thanks for letting me know, I've changed the image, so hopefully it works now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried to download the template but it says the content is no longer available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Just tried to download the template but it says the content is no longer available?

You can get it from the official thread:

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 12:15 AM, Dijital_Majik said:

I haven't skinned a plane in over 15 years, but after going to Flying Legends a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get the P-47D "Nellie B" there, out of my mind.

 

The colour scheme is based on F4-J 'Nellie B' 492nd Fighter Squadron, 48th Fighter GroupMore info on the real plane can be found here and here

 

Despite ICDP's incredible template making it easy, I've spent an embarrassingly large amount of hours getting every little possible detail painstakingly accurate to the real plane, including down to re-doing or placing even the stencils.  99% of people won't even see the vast majority of the little details, but I'm proud of her.  Hope you enjoy.

 

2019-7-24-22-40-4.png

 

Download link

 

 

Thanks for this... I was hoping to stumble upon a 'Nellie B' repaint! Looks awesome and can't wait to get her in the air!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This skin fictional correct? nevermind found the answer

Edited by 361st_Bugsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Thats the Dottie Mae this skin is posted above like 5 or 6 post above non-historical. but thanks all the same

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...