Sign in to follow this  
Camille88

Is the work on new Graphic Effects finished?

Just like the Title says, i wanted to ask if any improvements are still planed for 3.007? 

- Ground hitting effects? The Dust still looks better in Il21946 when strafing Grund Targets.

- Tracers textures effects still from BoS Early Access 

yea, I hope the tracers will get reworked textures seem a little cartoonish sometimes (and why do they always shoot out perfectly parallel with every tracer), sometimes while strafing the dirt doesn't kick up after shooting for a long while (3+ sec),  i hope the devs are aware of that bug. Are their any mods out there that can change the way tracers look or how they shoot out and perhaps something that gets rid of the little bumps and thickness of the tracer?

tracer-1e.png.2de33edebd7b6e4d6ad1ae7c7976f56b.pngtracer-2e.png.5405e081dc7bd092e84eca00e1c07483.png

Edited by catchthefoxes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah for my taste they are way to thick 

Lets See maybe we get some improvements here also 

Graphics improvements have a fairly high priority and there are a lot of people employed relative to the task, so you can always expect more.

I really hope they improve the Tracer smoke and tracer effects, feels like i'm in Star Wars sometimes. I am confident they will though, its all a matter of time and i have been amazed at the quality of work they have been producing lately.

11 hours ago, catchthefoxes said:

(and why do they always shoot out perfectly parallel with every tracer),

Not sure what you mean by “parallel”. Can you elaborate on this? How would you like it to look different? 

11 hours ago, catchthefoxes said:

sometimes while strafing the dirt doesn't kick up after shooting for a long while (3+ sec),  i hope the devs are aware of that bug.

It doesn’t happen “sometimes”, it happens always, and it’s not a bug. It was an optimation introduced way back in BoS early access, because the effect was eating too much GPU power. 

I do hope, that they have optimized other graphics stuff enough, that they will eventually be able to increase the amount of bullet strikes that can be rendered, because it does look a little strange.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Thanks 2

These kinds of improvements are an ongoing thing. If the team gets time or thinks they can do somthing they will.

5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

there are a lot of people employed relative to the task, so you can always expect more.

Yes, that's a fairly normal thing for graphics artists to do. 

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Not sure what you mean by “parallel”. Can you elaborate on this? How would you like it to look different?

I think he's talking about tracers looking all zig-zaggy in guncam footage. I doubt they actually look like this to the naked eye though.

Edited by Frenchy56

37 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

I doubt they actually look like this to the naked eye though.

They don't look like that at all in reality. The shaky effect is due to the camera being unstabilized.

50 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

I think he's talking about tracers looking all zig-zaggy in guncam footage. I doubt they actually look like this to the naked eye though.

Ok, that thing again? Yeah, that’s not how it should look, you’re right.

4 hours ago, Finkeren said:

It doesn’t happen “sometimes”, it happens always, and it’s not a bug. It was an optimation introduced way back in BoS early access, because the effect was eating too much GPU power. 

I do hope, that they have optimized other graphics stuff enough, that they will eventually be able to increase the amount of bullet strikes that can be rendered, because it does look a little strange.

They have to because Operation Bodenplatte its mostly about ground pounding 

31 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

He might have meant that when you have multiple guns they simultaneously shoot tracers, rather than being desynced.

Im sure he mean this.

We allready all know how Tracers do look in real life 

• Upvote 1

For starter, gfx improvement I would like to see new bullet holes decals , for WW1 especially when close and personal I would like to see decals showing up exactly where bullet strike. (Like today's fps games ) I think BoX have great AC damege modeling but not yet visualisation of today's exeptation. In general we tend to destroy everything in this game this is behind all other purpose (except cargo and paratroopers missions) so it should look believable ,not a holiwood , reality is enough explosive and scary during war time.

8 hours ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

I really hope they improve the Tracer smoke and tracer effects, feels like i'm in Star Wars sometimes. I am confident they will though, its all a matter of time and i have been amazed at the quality of work they have been producing lately.

For years I've said this and for many more years I will have to say it. George Lucas wanted Star Wars space combat to feel like WWII air combat because they thought that was the best and most dramatic way to present space combat to audiences in a visual effects movie. He was right. So, Star Wars based their effect style on WWII gun camera footage. So when WWII looks like Star Wars you have it backwards... Star Wars looks like WWII.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

He might have meant that when you have multiple guns they simultaneously shoot tracers, rather than being desynced.

This is what I meant, take the p 40, when you depress the trigger all 6 (or 4) tracers will come out at the same time (rather than randomly) and perfectly horizontal to each other. That is unless if ground crews back then made sure to take the time that all 1686 rounds of ammunition would all have the tracers leaving all 6 guns at the same time and perfectly horizontally synced with every tracer then I guess I’m wrong and the sim is right.

10 hours ago, Finkeren said:

My mistake then I thought it was a bug.

Edited by catchthefoxes

10 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Ok, that thing again? Yeah, that’s not how it should look, you’re right.

I remeber the debates about that back in the day. “The tracers are wrong - they don’t zig zag!!”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I remember the debates about that back in the day. “The tracers are wrong - they don’t zig zag!!”

Oh yes, and all of them were facepalm-worthy discussions. 

16 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

I know from firsthand experience that tracers do not zig zag, wobble, spiral, etc, that being said you can't really blame people for thinking that they do, when the only reference that the vast majority have of tracers is the said gum camera clips, so I dare say this will not be the last time the question gets asked either.

Edited by spudkopf
Grammar yet again
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

For years I've said this and for many more years I will have to say it. George Lucas wanted Star Wars space combat to feel like WWII air combat because they thought that was the best and most dramatic way to present space combat to audiences in a visual effects movie. He was right. So, Star Wars based their effect style on WWII gun camera footage. So when WWII looks like Star Wars you have it backwards... Star Wars looks like WWII.

Yes probably why Star Wars had such an instant appeal to those of us who in the late 60s’ and early 70s, had grown up on a steady diet of the Saturday Matinees on the idiot box, which more often than not featured war movies from the 40s, 50s and 60s, surrounded by our Airfix, Frog, Dinkey and Britain’s toy armies.

With the famous Star Wars “trench run” so clearly inspired by “The Dam Busters” right down to including snippets of the original dialog lifted out of that film.

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

We are not talking about any stupid zig zaggy Tracers! Everyone knows its unrealistic.

Im talking about tracers beeing Cartoonish and outdated, way to big, i whish this Sim could make them similar to lets say Clod  :)

• Upvote 2

i think that the only time tracers zigzag is if “head shake” is on in the camera settings, try it.

Edited by catchthefoxes

The tracers I can live with. But the holes after being hit? They could DEFINITELY use some higher rez textures. As of now I can live with this too. These dev's are doing an awesome job giving us hifi visuals with flight models to match. I really do hope they revisit the damage textures...I really think a little will go a very long way in this regard. Just my $.02.

I think it is possible to make higher resolution damnage decals by modding. The texture files can be upsized. It would just take a modder with the time, skills and will to do it.

Is it true that the last .50 cal rounds of each ammo belt were tracers only to visually inform the pilot his machine guns were almost empty ? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Pierre64 said:

Is it true that the last .50 cal rounds of each ammo belt were tracers only to visually inform the pilot his machine guns were almost empty ? Thanks.

hmmi think so i have seen it in DCS

Better damage "decals" like this?

1277009509_111damageexample.thumb.jpg.ab56a08840995495c015f335ca367665.jpg

Still a lot of work to do but enough to get the idea

• Upvote 1