Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 211 - Discussion

Not to detract from the great work but this very much feels like the calm before the storm. People are going to be chomping at the bit next week.

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Too late. June 2019.

September 2019...

48 minutes ago, Yardstick said:

I have a large collection of images of USAAF patches as well as the official WWII combat squadrons histories (including heraldry) published by the USAF post war.  It doesn't look like the 396th FS had an officially approved squadron patch and I have never come across one on eBay or other auction sites - you may struggle to track that one down. 

I might be able to help with others however, if you are struggling to find them.

We are well aware of this and Spektre is making a custom emblem based on known information about the unit including images of their signage , nickname and ops in the field. It will be cool. Isaac is a fantastic artist. 

By the way, if any virtual squad wants a custom insignia I HIGHLY suggest you hire Spektre. His custom work rivals anything done during the war. A very talented guy. A hobby of his is also collecting and creating such insignia. 

Weve been researching these insignias for months as we did with them for Kuban. We have all available info for all the squads we will have in BoBP. Books, period publications, Internet, personal photos collections etc. whatever we can get our hands on we try to get. 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Thank you for this DD.  Great work Spektre on the squadron patch's.  Really looking forward to 3.07 and to the future updates:good:.

im not sure but maybe i can read between lines.... I-153 next collector plane?

;);)

Beatiful insignias. 

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

That 365th squadron insignia... The pun, it hurts!

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Spell it out for the slower people in the room.

i-am-freddy-mercury-and-i-approve-this-m

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Thunder Bolt (...and Lightning, very very...).

The pilots were nuts, then?

Edited by 429FS_SPEKTRE76

4 hours ago, Bies said:

Two Polish squadrons confirmed.

Where is the third one? 317 SQ operated with 302 SQ and 308 SQ in one wing (131 Wing). During operation BpB this unit stationed in Gandawa. I hope that bug with wrong insignia on Spitfire mk.IX skin from 302 SQ WO Dygala will be corrected.

3 hours ago, 310_cibule said:

No Czechoslovak squadron was affected by Operation Bodenplatte. It doesn´t mean I wouldn´t love to have an emblem of any of them on my plane though. But it wouldn´t make any sense in this sequal.  

Yeah i know but  the carrer timeline is not only for Bodenplatte but also market garden and other operations that followed . I know that the 310 sqn do do recon mission around belgian and dutch coast.If the game timeline will even include events before normandy landings the 310,312,313 sqn were doing sweeps into enemy territory .

4 hours ago, BlackSix said:

No, it remainded in the UK until the end of war.

Ok, thank you for answer :) 

25 minutes ago, =L/R=RAFCIO said:

Where is the third one? 317 SQ operated with 302 SQ and 308 SQ in one wing (131 Wing). During operation BpB this unit stationed in Gandawa. I hope that bug with wrong insignia on Spitfire mk.IX skin from 302 SQ WO Dygala will be corrected.

No. 302 (Polish) Squadron 'Poznański' RAF and No. 317 (Polish) Squadron 'Wileński' RAF will be AI units,  No. 308 (Polish) Squadron 'Krakowski' RAF will be playable unit in the career. We need another DD to explane how we choose squadrons for the BOBP. Maybe I'll write it.

You will get 18 RAF and 18 USAAF playable squadrons + 40 AI squadrons in total.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

WOW! Thanks.

34 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

No. 302 (Polish) Squadron 'Poznański' RAF and No. 317 (Polish) Squadron 'Wileński' RAF will be AI units,  No. 308 (Polish) Squadron 'Krakowski' RAF will be playable unit in the career. We need another DD to explane how we choose squadrons for the BOBP. Maybe I'll write it.

Were there any Canadian squadrans operating in the area? I remember that there was some noise about trying to get Canadian squadrons supporting First Canadian Army during the Battle of the Scheldt but I'm not sure any of them ever operated in direct support of Canadian ground troops.

35 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

Is the map big enough for 76 squadrons?  I guess it is if you are planning on that but damn, that is going to be a seriously dense  area of operations.

7 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Were there any Canadian squadrans operating in the area? I remember that there was some noise about trying to get Canadian squadrons supporting First Canadian Army during the Battle of the Scheldt but I'm not sure any of them ever operated in direct support of Canadian ground troops.

No. 401 Squadron 'Ram' RCAF

No. 412 Squadron 'Falcon' RCAF

No. 416 Squadron 'City of Oshawa' RCAF

No. 443 Squadron 'Hornet' RCAF

+ AI

No. 403 Squadron 'Wolf' RCAF

No. 411 Squadron 'Grizzly Bear' RCAF

No. 421 Squadron 'Red Indian' RCAF

No. 441 Squadron 'Silver Fox' RCAF

No. 442 Squadron 'Caribou' RCAF

6 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Is the map big enough for 76 squadrons?  I guess it is if you are planning on that but damn, that is going to be a seriously dense  area of operations.

The map is big enough, we have already shown it.

Map.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As Black Six explains above. I also have to make the crown badges for the RCAF and RAAF. They differ in style slightly. The RCAF obviously has Maple leaves and the Ozzies have Koala snacks.  😁

I reached my daily limit for up-votes it seems....So, I'd like to say thank you all again for the compliments.

Edited by 429FS_SPEKTRE76
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

To add to what @BlackSix wrote, all of the RAF squadrons come with fresh new biographies written by me (including 56 Squadron, because the one in ROF is terrible - it's basically just a Wikipedia copy / paste job). I had to dig really deep to find info on a couple of the Canadian units, but I'm really happy with how they all turned out. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, 429FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

As Black Six explains above. I also have to make the crown badges for the RCAF and RAAF. They differ in style slightly. The RCAF obviously has Maple leaves and the Ozzies have Koala snacks.  😁

I reached my daily limit for up-votes it seems....So, I'd like to say thank you all again for the compliments.

You've done great work so far, I'm looking forward to your further progress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 429FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

Redlands, CA?   Dude I grew up in Glenn Avon by Jarupa Hills!

Yep, born in Redlands, grew up in Moreno Valley, and came back to Redlands when I got married. In fact, I live about 2 minutes away from where Jason once lived, LOL. :biggrin:

I am disappointed that the 391st FS has changed their insignia to a sedate tiger.  Nowhere near as awesome as a winged cow snorting lightning, firing machine guns from its udders and tossing a bomb with its tail.  Where is the ejection port for the empty MG cases, do you suppose?

4 hours ago, deckerrunner said:

Hi and slute all   just a qiuck word to say nice touch with the emblems

lol no there nice ? ,there great when we get them, and there beatiful, when we see them on the planes.

@BlackSix

The Typhoon squadrons will be AI using Tempests or those won't be shown (until we get a Typhoon 😁)? I am particullary curious about the RAF No. 164 squadron, composed by Argentine-British volunteers. During BoBP they were in these bases:

September-October 1944: B.53 Merville
October-November 1944: B.67 Ursel
November-December 1944: B.77 Gilze-Rijen
December 1944: Fairwood Common
December 1944-January 1945: B.77 Gilze-Rijen
January 1945: A.84 Chievres
January-March 1945: B.77 Gilze-Rijen

Roll on the next release.  Looking forward to it as with any work you guys bring to the table. 👍

7 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Thunder Bolt (...and Lightning, very very...).

The pilots were nuts, then?

I sense somebody just saw Bohemian Rhapsody these days. 😎👍

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

We are well aware of this and Spektre is making a custom emblem based on known information about the unit including images of their signage , nickname and ops in the field. It will be cool. Isaac is a fantastic artist. 

By the way, if any virtual squad wants a custom insignia I HIGHLY suggest you hire Spektre. His custom work rivals anything done during the war. A very talented guy. A hobby of his is also collecting and creating such insignia. 

Weve been researching these insignias for months as we did with them for Kuban. We have all available info for all the squads we will have in BoBP. Books, period publications, Internet, personal photos collections etc. whatever we can get our hands on we try to get. 

Jason

This is just awesome! Thanks to the team, and thanks so much to Spektre for putting his passion into this. Though I don't play single player, and probably wont see them much, these emblems are going to make a lot of folks very happy. I say keep it coming! It's the little things like this that make this the best WW2 air combat sim on the market. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

A simple DD but quite cool non the less, thanks Spektre76 😃

3 hours ago, 429FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

I also have to make the crown badges for the RCAF and RAAF.

Good to see Article XV will be included, I hope 485 and 486 RNZAF will be among them?

Edited by HBPencil

Sorry I've been away for a while - exactly where are we at with BoBP? I know the P47 is coming soon (which I'm eagerly awaiting) and we have the FW and BF109. Is the map complete as yet?

20 minutes ago, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

Sorry I've been away for a while - exactly where are we at with BoBP? I know the P47 is coming soon (which I'm eagerly awaiting) and we have the FW and BF109. Is the map complete as yet?

P-47 and the 109 K4 should be with the next release which seems to have a target date of next week (but things happen). We have the 190 A-8 but most Wulf drivers are eagerly anticipating the D-9. Map will be among the last things released if previous history serves.

ah ok thanks mate. I haven't hit purchase on BoBP as yet until we get an a/c (or map) that I'm after (particularly the Jug or Tempest). Will wait a bit longer :)

4 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

The Typhoon squadrons will be AI using Tempests or those won't be shown (until we get a Typhoon 😁)?

No Typhoon squadrons are planned - only authentic Tempest units.

Edited by LukeFF